Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    So Santa brought me a Foleo, new in box.

It is pretty awesome.

Still haven't figured out to close an app, but it boots quickly, has Docs to Go, email, Opera, terminal, file manager, and others.

No escape key... Hmmm.

SD slot. Compact Flash too?

It has an earphone jack, but I don't have any mp3's handy.

Anyway, it is actually pretty good hardware. Looks sturdy.

Thanks Santa!
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    pics or it didn't happen!
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    pics or it didn't happen!
    Agreed. I want pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Please post pics. That's a rare enough find that I don't think TreoCentral ever had a forum for them. That's a piece of history!
  5.    #5  
    Ok, just took photos (with my Pre). How do I upload to Central (using my Pre)? Or do I upload to some site, then paste the URL?
    you either have to attach them from a PC, or upload them to a site like photo-bucket or flicker from your phone and then copy the img link into a post...
  7.    #7  
    Here you go...

Oh, to close an app, you hit app-backspace.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Man, could you imagine if Palm had actually released this thing?

They would be HUGE today. This was right before the advent of netbooks.

What an utter disaster the management was at Palm right before Ruby and the gang came on board and created WebOS.

They are the whole reason WebOS didnt take off too, because they messed Palm up so bad, that even the best OS ever couldnt get them out of the deep hole they were in.

Sticking with PalmOS for 16 years, moving to Windows Mobile, the Treo Pro, canceling the Foleo...

Honestly, what a disaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post

It is pretty awesome.

Still haven't figured out to close an app, but it boots quickly, has Docs to Go, email, Opera, terminal, file manager, and others.

No escape key... Hmmm.

Thanks Santa!
    If Santa brought me that I'd wonder what I did wrong. However I'm glad you're happy. Keep it in the box, wait 30 years and it might be worth something.
    All I got was a lump of coal and a used touchstone...
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    xandros9 likes this.
    awesome! Piece of history there, enjoy.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    i actually liked the foleo a lot. cool present.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts

Thanks Santa!
    Hi ka1,

Yes, the Foleo has a SD card slot, I've used a 4GB standard SD card in mine, and a CF slot also. Since I don't have any CF cards handy, I haven't tested it, but it's there if you want to play.

If I recall correctly, I didn't have a .mp3 player loaded in my unit. I'd have to charge it up to confirm.

I agree, the hardware is really well done. The software, in my opinion, is no more than 80%, but you can see that it really had some potential.

If you are looking for some software, TealPoint still has beta downloads posted on their site. You can find them at:

Beta Test Zone - PalmOS Software by TealPoint Software; Programs and Accessories for Palm, Treo, and CLIE

If you are interested, Ixle Foleo was a blog that closed down earlier this year, but has some interesting posts that will make you think about what else is possible with the Foleo.

And then, for completeness, there is my review of the the Foleo that I wrote at a hands on event at the old Palm store in NYC.
  14.    #14  
    Ok, I confirmed that it has a speaker, and can play mp3's and avi files. Cool.

My nephew just gave it a five (ok, 10) finger death punch. Screen turned off. I had to unscrew the battery cover and reset things. It does indeed have a removable battery. Booted fine after I reset things.

Next question is video... It has xvga out? So I assume it can play some sort of video.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    The Foleo's native resolution is 1024x600. When the Foleo is connected to an external display, the screen resolution is changes to 1024x768.
    To OP: Merry Christmas man! Looks like you had a good one I would actually want to see one, as well, because I never have. Enjoy it bud!

Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Man, could you imagine if Palm had actually released this thing?

They would be HUGE today. This was right before the advent of netbooks.

What an utter disaster the management was at Palm right before Ruby and the gang came on board and created WebOS.

They are the whole reason WebOS didnt take off too, because they messed Palm up so bad, that even the best OS ever couldnt get them out of the deep hole they were in.

Sticking with PalmOS for 16 years, moving to Windows Mobile, the Treo Pro, canceling the Foleo...

Honestly, what a disaster.
    Honestly I have to agree. Ruby must have felt like ... wow, can I clean this mess up? Before CES 2009 everyone thought Palm was dead. I told someone about the Palm Pre even after CES '09 and the guy laughed saying, "Who buys a Palm anymore?" Thats actually why I think the Palm name is going to the wayside sooner rather then later. It only hold's good with customers who currently enjoy Palm products, but not the millions of other consumers who HP want to buy Palm products. But some of what happened was that advertising campaign -- it did not help at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanG View Post
    Hi ka1,

Yes, the Foleo has a SD card slot, I've used a 4GB standard SD card in mine, and a CF slot also. Since I don't have any CF cards handy, I haven't tested it, but it's there if you want to play.

If I recall correctly, I didn't have a .mp3 player loaded in my unit. I'd have to charge it up to confirm.

I agree, the hardware is really well done. The software, in my opinion, is no more than 80%, but you can see that it really had some potential.

If you are looking for some software, TealPoint still has beta downloads posted on their site. You can find them at:

Beta Test Zone - PalmOS Software by TealPoint Software; Programs and Accessories for Palm, Treo, and CLIE

If you are interested, Ixle Foleo was a blog that closed down earlier this year, but has some interesting posts that will make you think about what else is possible with the Foleo.

And then, for completeness, there is my review of the the Foleo that I wrote at a hands on event at the old Palm store in NYC.
    Reading through your review, I think the Foleo will be resurrected. Under a different name, of course. I think we will see more touch input on the keyboard (somewhat similar to how the MacBooks are with their mouse pad) and I think it be cool a FULL touch keyboard instead of a real one. But we shall see. And I see some of the concepts being used in the BlackBerry Playbook. HP would be silly not to do this concept again (being that the HP products work together nicely and are meant to -- and if they could auto sync all content on all devices, hint hint Palm, then that would be a winner -- BTW over the "Web" since ya know, its WebOS!).

I am genuinely excited to see what they are going to be doing with WebOS now they have move money behind them.
  17.    #17  
    Ok, thanks for the Tealpoint tip. I downloaded their handfull of applications, and they seem pretty cool. Only issue is they are eval, and I'm not sure when they expire, and if I can purchase the full version (at a discount, hopefully).

It plays sounds from websites, but non of my mp3's seem to work, so I probably need to find a way to play them via the browser?

The USB and SD slots work great - you can pull things out and plug them in instantly, and it doesn't complain, and the file system shows the changes immediately. Pretty cool.

It doesn't like my 4GB SDHD cards, but the smaller cards work great.

I see Normsoft announced an MP3 player... anyone know where I can find a link? The speaker on the bottom works, and there is a headphone jack.

I am going to try to install some Linux files and Java JRE/SDK's on it to play with.

Oh, the photo viewer is actually pretty fast and nice, and includes a slide show app.

And it really does power on/off instantly. If you hold the button to do a real restart, it is back up in under 10 seconds. Otherwise, you can click the button, and it turns off and on in seconds.

So, I recharged my Centro, to see if I could get email sync working. No luck. The Centro bluetooth app couldn't see the Foleo. Will try my Treo 700p next.

But right now, it seems to be a netbook with Office editing abilities, Opera browser, SD and USB support, instant on/off, and access to the Linux command line (it is listed as one of the handful of default apps).
    KA1
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    @astraith - I think the best parts of the Foleo (hardware/software) will be alive and well in the PalmPad and future versions of webOS.

Alan G
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Ok, thanks for the Tealpoint tip. I downloaded their handfull of applications, and they seem pretty cool. Only issue is they are eval, and I'm not sure when they expire, and if I can purchase the full version (at a discount, hopefully).

It plays sounds from websites, but non of my mp3's seem to work, so I probably need to find a way to play them via the browser?

The USB and SD slots work great - you can pull things out and plug them in instantly, and it doesn't complain, and the file system shows the changes immediately. Pretty cool.

It doesn't like my 4GB SDHD cards, but the smaller cards work great.

I see Normsoft announced an MP3 player... anyone know where I can find a link? The speaker on the bottom works, and there is a headphone jack.

I am going to try to install some Linux files and Java JRE/SDK's on it to play with.

Oh, the photo viewer is actually pretty fast and nice, and includes a slide show app.

And it really does power on/off instantly. If you hold the button to do a real restart, it is back up in under 10 seconds. Otherwise, you can click the button, and it turns off and on in seconds.

So, I recharged my Centro, to see if I could get email sync working. No luck. The Centro bluetooth app couldn't see the Foleo. Will try my Treo 700p next.

But right now, it seems to be a netbook with Office editing abilities, Opera browser, SD and USB support, instant on/off, and access to the Linux command line (it is listed as one of the handful of default apps).
    I've seen the Foleo do things that it wasn't suppose to do, like play full screen video. That software was beta and not in the 1.0 release of the Foleo OS.

As far as I know, NormSoft never released/posted a link to pTunes for Foleo. I don't have a copy of it either.

The Foleo OS is from 2007, so I don't think it has the SDHC driver, just the standard SD driver.

The Foleo was beta tested with the Treo 750 (Windows Mobile 5.0) and the Treo 755p. I don't recall any official testing against the Centro. Since the Centro runs the same software that is in the 755p, it should work. You need to have VersaMail 4.0 that was intended for use with the Foleo to make the sync work. Email sync will also only be useful if the Centro/Treo has an Internet connection. The Centro has the version of VersaMail 4.0 that was going to be released along side the Foleo minus the Palm OS/Foleo OS Bluetooth driver.

Alan G
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    All I got was a lump of coal and a used touchstone...
    ha ha, i got a vzw special $15 touchstone as well, but i can't seem to place my pre on it the right way to keep it from switching in/out of charging mode, thanks santa!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast