Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43
  1. #21  
    I am surprised that you guys have doubts about webos, not the best mobile os. Its true and unique multi-tasking on mobile device (card based), best in class notifications, true cloud based connectivity and backup/restore function, simple and unique gestures, universal search, and more open than any other open source mobile os when you consider end user. There are many more things comes to mind but just to have these features 2 years ago is mind blowing. If palm had better hardware and marketing nobody would dispute how awesome is web os.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This was one of Ed Colligan's webOS launch talking points. The idea was that iPhone OS, being an offshoot of OSX was burdened by desktop OS complexity and that webOS would be more streamlined being built from the ground up. Well, as it turned out, it was the Pre that was laggy and webOS was burdened by runtime processing baggage and lack of basic OS API's like microphone, etc.

    It's surprising that he should bring this idea up again because it rings about as true as the thousands of developers eager to develop for webOS, porting your app in three days, and all of our great launch partners like Dataviz and Epocrates.


    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

    The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    According to the article HPs Rubinstein Slams Android, Attacks iPad, Ruby's pretty upbeat about the greatness of his not-yet-finished pPad compared to the only other OSes that managed to succesfully release tablet devices into the marketplace in the past year. It seems like pretty big talk for a guy whose last line of devices don't even show up as a statistical blip when compared to the two giants he's poking.

    This should make for an interesting CES.
    Is it just me that can't view the article on the pre?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Is it just me that can't view the article on the pre?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Nothing to see there anyway. Just making new articles out of 2 week old Dive into Mobile quotes.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Nothing to see there anyway. Just making new articles out of 2 week old Dive into Mobile quotes.
    That's what I thought and didn't ruby say he's never used iOS at the D?

    Bah apple fan poppycock

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    I am surprised that you guys have doubts about webos, not the best mobile os. Its true and unique multi-tasking on mobile device (card based), best in class notifications, true cloud based connectivity and backup/restore function, simple and unique gestures, universal search, and more open than any other open source mobile os when you consider end user. There are many more things comes to mind but just to have these features 2 years ago is mind blowing. If palm had better hardware and marketing nobody would dispute how awesome is web os.



    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk


    I dont have doubts. With 2.5% of the market and nobody interested they have a long road ahead of them.
    WebOs has a lot of potential but just like when it was Palm controlled, they are not marketing it well at all. Bigger screens,4g,front cameras,better access to api's, many different devices on multiple carriers. I mean c'mon 1 slow a s s tiny screen device available through a carrier (discount)in the US! this is not the way to sell WebOs! IMHO.

    WebOs IS the Best mobile Os. But Palm does not have the bigboy rep in the smart phone market anymore and its going to take a lot more than what Hp is offering now or in the next few mos to get it back.

    I had to go elsewhere for a while because I couldnt bring myself to downgrade to Pixi, (no Pre's except AT&T(not hapening ever)).Ill be back if HP finally gets their act together.

    Im really tired of hearing wai till thanksgiving...no wait till christmas......no wait till CES........no wait..............................! Ive done too much waiting for Palm/HP. I have a REAL need for a device that works for ME and Pixi aint it. No way Im waisting my upgrade on that.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

    If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

    Follow the link below.


  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    That's what I thought and didn't ruby say he's never used iOS at the D?

    Bah apple fan poppycock

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    He said he never used an iphone at CES 2010. He clarified what he meant at dive into mobile. Whatever, not a big deal.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    He said he never used an iphone at CES 2010. He clarified what he meant at dive into mobile. Whatever, not a big deal.
    I said bc the OP implied ruby changed his tune and admitted to using iOS



    2sslow... I was wondering where you been... Hope to see back here soon!

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I said bc the OP implied ruby changed his tune and admitted to using iOS
    Actually I didn't - but the article I linked to might have.
  9. #29  
    Palm for most part came late and they didn't realize the marketing part. I still remember that they were themselves surprised at how well response they got when they announced Pre and WebOS. Time till the release of brand new OS and then updates over issues and functionality it was too late to compete against Apple & Google who were ahead in release and fixed many issues with updates and hardwares. 2010 was year of panick, desperation moves and then take over. So it's painful to wait this long, trust I tried other options (iphone 4, evo and epic) but it's just not the same when you are used to WebOS. But many did and I am happy that they did. It's plain business. But again fact is Palm WebOS is the best mobile OS. Nothing comes close.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    I dont have doubts. With 2.5% of the market and nobody interested they have a long road ahead of them.
    WebOs has a lot of potential but just like when it was Palm controlled, they are not marketing it well at all. Bigger screens,4g,front cameras,better access to api's, many different devices on multiple carriers. I mean c'mon 1 slow a s s tiny screen device available through a carrier (discount)in the US! this is not the way to sell WebOs! IMHO.

    WebOs IS the Best mobile Os. But Palm does not have the bigboy rep in the smart phone market anymore and its going to take a lot more than what Hp is offering now or in the next few mos to get it back.

    I had to go elsewhere for a while because I couldnt bring myself to downgrade to Pixi, (no Pre's except AT&T(not hapening ever)).Ill be back if HP finally gets their act together.

    Im really tired of hearing wai till thanksgiving...no wait till christmas......no wait till CES........no wait..............................! Ive done too much waiting for Palm/HP. I have a REAL need for a device that works for ME and Pixi aint it. No way Im waisting my upgrade on that.
  10. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    #30  
    At the 'D' event Ruby said that he's used iOS a little because some people around him have iPhones, but clarified why he didn't want to use other mobile OSes: To have a fresh perspective - making an OS that does something original, instead of copying what others have done.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    At the 'D' event Ruby said that he's used iOS a little because some people around him have iPhones, but clarified why he didn't want to use other mobile OSes: To have a fresh perspective - making an OS that does something original, instead of copying what others have done.
    If he touched one maybe he'd see how scrolling "up and down" and "left and right" is unintuitive and confussing. And maybe they would realize a plastic screen just doesn't cut it.

    Ruby has NO place to diss either in any way. They need to catch up to the leaders before they can hop over there backs.
  12. dot1ne's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #32  
    I liked how he put it when he said I never used an iPhone because I don't want to have the iPhone experience as my base reference for our design, now that is one principle in unique experience design. I liked his honesty about how he ain't that loyal to the Palm brand and that he didn't have any emotional attachment to the brand becoming HP or HP/Palm.
  13. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    #33  
    A future version of webOS that had screenshots leaked (I'm thinking 2.1?) will have HP be the bootlogo, so it'll be interesting to see if future hardware will as well.

    Leaving the Palm brand would be good IMO opinion, as everyone I talk to relates it to old technology.
    "Palm? They're still around?"
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    If he touched one maybe he'd see how scrolling "up and down" and "left and right" is unintuitive and confussing.
    WHAt???
    Newness Developments apps:

  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    WHAt???
    You really like swiping in every direction? On the iphone you know exactly what page your on and a single swipe between icons. On android there's a scroll bar that appears and they are alphabetical..

    On Webos the pages scroll with no indicator of how many are above or below you, which is just not as intuitive. You scroll back to that page and its in the same place... so you have to scroll swipe up... wait for the bounce and then click your icon. It's even worse with the phones overall scrolling laggyness.

    If billed as a simpler smartphone this should be much better than the current (and even 2.0) iteration.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  16. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    #36  
    webOS does need a scrollbar in the OS core, I'll give you that.

    But, I seem to disagree with you on webOS's pages. I like to have 40 games on a single page, 12 internet sortcuts on another page, 24 productivity apps on my main page, and 20 system-related apps on my last page.
    If webOS organized apps like iOS or Android, I would be lost.

    But Ruby wasn't dissing on anybody. He was talking about his product, saying how cool webOS was designed to be about the web and that it would really shine on the tablet. I watched the whole interview live, he wasn't talking ****.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    webOS does need a scrollbar in the OS core, I'll give you that.

    But, I seem to disagree with you on webOS's pages. I like to have 40 games on a single page, 12 internet sortcuts on another page, 24 productivity apps on my main page, and 20 system-related apps on my last page.
    If webOS organized apps like iOS or Android, I would be lost....snip
    How exactly is that different than IOS, you can have a page setup just like that, except for the 40 icons on a page. And if you jailbreak, you can scroll up, down, left right, have 40 icons, and even scroll the taskbar separately. This is not a snarf question...
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12/25/2010 at 07:14 PM.
  18. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    #38  
    The difference is that iOS only allows you 16 apps on each page by default, so if I wanted to organize my apps into categories some categories might need multiple pages.
    Not really an iOS expert here, never seen a jailbreak with that feature, but that's not the point. I was pointing out why I liked webOS's launcher's vertical scrolling.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    You really like swiping in every direction? On the iphone you know exactly what page your on and a single swipe between icons. On android there's a scroll bar that appears and they are alphabetical..

    On Webos the pages scroll with no indicator of how many are above or below you, which is just not as intuitive. You scroll back to that page and its in the same place... so you have to scroll swipe up... wait for the bounce and then click your icon. It's even worse with the phones overall scrolling laggyness.

    If billed as a simpler smartphone this should be much better than the current (and even 2.0) iteration.
    because its sooooo confusing when you need to scroll up and down for icons in a launcher.

    (said in Bruce voice from Family Guy)

    "Ohhh noooo! where did all my iddy bitty little icons go? They were just here a minute ago, but now I swiped back and they are all gone! wherever could they be?? Ooops, silly me, they were just above these other icons, all I had to do is scroll up to see them."

    Common, REALLY? If scrolling up and down while swiping is confusing to you, I take pity on your soul.
  20. #40  
    ios can show more than 16 with folders.

    For me it's not confusinng, sure a little annoying sometimes but not hard for me.

    It is however an extra step and an unpredictive laggy scroll that turns people away.

    Itls bad design not knowing where the next page to swipe to is in a scroll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions