1.    #1  
    Just a quick question for Registered Developers, if such thing exists, with HP/Palm.

1. Is there such a thing as a 'Registered' developer with HP/Plam (not the former stand alone palm entity, and only since HP purchased Palm).

2. Is there a gag clause in the contract which requires you to keep silent about things that are in the works at HP as far as development goes?

3. If there is a gag clause, does it prohibit you from even acknowledging the gag clause?

The point here is:

A. Millions, even billions, are spent on R&D every year by HP. Certain things like FCC, patent and purchases of other businesses are unavoidably public. But what isn't public is often a trade secret. Release of something exciting like a HDMI ported HD 4G LTE PalmPad with a flexible screen and indestructable case, carbon bonded chipset, and quad-core processing, with 3 week long battery would stand on its own whether or not it was 'leaked' to build excitement.

I can't believe the number of whiny babies on this site that say, "I'm gonna leave blah blah blah if you don't do what I say NOW!" I was at my son's daycare yesterday and saw a 3 year old say the exact same thing.

Bottom line is that I am incredibly excited that a company like HP picked up Palm. I am still hopeful that Palm will survive, but I will get up and go to work tomorrow if they don't. I'll just eventually need a new phone.

I have 251 apps on my phone. So don't begin to think I don't have a vested interest in going further with Palm. I have been using Palms since the Handspring days. My wife and I both use them and buy every single accessory out there.

HP is in the business of making money and I don't see the purchase of Palm as a write off venture. Every scrap of computer technology except our broadband modems are HP in our law office. They are a good reliable company.

I plan to purchase at least 3 Palmpads when they get the final kinks worked out after release.

Lets grow up and wait to see what happens.

At the moment I am trying to contact developers to work on a less complicated program for Attorneys for time and billing that will work on Webos and Windows alike using a cloud or mysql backend and accessible through both Webos apps, Windows apps and/or browser based secure online access.

Its seems that it could be done pretty easily but the big companies like Lexis (PCLaw), which we currently use, don't want to consider it.

My belief is the Unified system HP wants to release would include autosyncing between phone, pad, laptop, and server (even web based) and 1 button printing from them all from anywhere. COOL!

Good luck. I'll see you at the virtual counter later this year.
    Does HP use NDA's? Yes.

is there an early access program to get access to some software builds before they are generally released, that's behind an NDA? Yep.

but said program is leaky, and at this point shouldn't be given anything hp isn't committed to. So, while some may have early access to a new phone or pad, not all do. And those who do can't talk about it.

(is breaking an NDA something that could cost you your house? Yep.)
    What's the point of asking questions 2 and 3? You won't be able to get an answer for either of them.

And for question 1, you do have to register a developer account before submitting apps to the app catalog. I don't know if that's what you meant.
    Quote Originally Posted by houshokm View Post
    Just a quick question for Registered Developers, if such thing exists, with HP/Palm.

1. Is there such a thing as a 'Registered' developer with HP/Plam (not the former stand alone palm entity, and only since HP purchased Palm).

2. Is there a gag clause in the contract which requires you to keep silent about things that are in the works at HP as far as development goes?

3. If there is a gag clause, does it prohibit you from even acknowledging the gag clause?
    Substitute "NDA" (NonDisclosure Agreement) for "gag clause", and the answer to all three is yes; with one caveat on the last. Palm has different NDAs. The one for developers does not require that you not reveal you've agreed to an NDA (since acknowledging you're a developer would reveal that you're under and NDA).

Quote Originally Posted by houshokm View Post
    At the moment I am trying to contact developers to work on a less complicated program for Attorneys for time and billing that will work on Webos and Windows alike using a cloud or mysql backend and accessible through both Webos apps, Windows apps and/or browser based secure online access.

Its seems that it could be done pretty easily but the big companies like Lexis (PCLaw), which we currently use, don't want to consider it.
    A bit off topic, but there are several "pre packaged" content management systems that could easily be modified for the template to be "pad friendly", and do what you're talking about. My preference is Joomla.
  5.    #5  
    I appreciate your responses. My point, rsanchez1, was to raise the issue to the whiners on this site that silence is not equal to inactivity. And also that HP may do business differently from Palm with regards to NDAs. The reason I didn't use NDAs in the first place was so that the whiners might understand 'gag' better than NDA.

It was a semi-rhetorical question that I could not state as a fact since I am not a registered developer. I once was but have not had time in the last few years, ergo I have missed the WEBOS boat thus far. If I have to jump in to develop my own time/billing program I may end up doing it, but I make much more an hour right now billing my clients and spending the remainder of my time with my family.

I would hope that someone would see the efficacy of building such a program and selling it to the WebOS community. I think that Attorneys are looking for more and more portable ways to do their work. And, 'rumor' is that HP is developing their pad for enterprise rather than general consumer. I'd love to give my staff PalmPads for play and business to compliment our laptops and smart phones. But I want them to be more than glorified minature televisions and electronic libraries.

To justify the term enterprise, the Pad will need to leverage the big boy programs like MS Office suite (see Quickoffice) and Adobe Flash (online applications like LexisNexus) and time/billing or accounting programs (see PCLaw/AmicusAttorney or Peachtree).

In my spare time I play with website design and have both Adobe Creative Suite and the entire Corel package of graphics programs. I also run perl, php and sql servers from time to time on my laptop to test programming offline.

This is where I believe HP is going with their Pad. Or at least its my hope they will go that far.