Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Per WebOSRoundup.com,

Rumors Galore: Why isn’t HP at CES? When will Sprint get a new phone? When will the Pre get webOS 2.0? We have answers. | webOSroundup

Their sources claim there will be no new Sprint webOS phones till June 2011, but that it will be a 4G WiMax phone. Check out the link for more details.

EDIT: Figure I might as well just paste the article here:

It has been a tough week for HP/Palm. No question about it.

First we had the webOS 2.0 leak that announced voice dialing. Next we had the Fox News kinda sorta, not really a leak, leak.

Now we get a doozy. Earlier today we were contacted by a person who claims to be an employee at HP. We have no way of verifying this info as of yet, but the source seems pretty knowledgeable about the inner workings of things when we asked them some questions. We have also asked some of our other tipsters to comment and it lines up with what they know. Is it legit? Can’t say for sure. To be safe, though, I would keep your salt shovels handy.

Ready? Here we go.

First up, HP/Palm will not be showing off any new products at CES. We have heard this from several sources now so this isn’t anything new per se, but this is yet another source confirming it. That ain’t all though…according to this source, the reason for HP’s absence from CES is because they are planning their own event (think Apple) so that they do not get lost in the shuffle. Rumor has it that this event will be sometime between CES and Mobile World Congress and will take place in either New York or Las Vegas. It is during this magical event that HP will be announcing their road map of unicorns and puppies that will take over the world in 2011.

Next up…there will be no new webOS device released on Sprint until June 2011. That would mark the 2 year anniversary of the good ole “Pre Minus”. Not that they would actually celebrate that…Hey we haven’t released a new phone in 2 years!!! Not a good sales tactic…but I digress.

The new device is rumored to be another Sprint exclusive (for an unknown period of time), but it will be based on Sprint’s 4G Wi-Max technology. Unfortunately the source did not know the name of this product, but if it is a 4G device it is most likely the “hero” device of the line. Now the question is, will other carriers get something and leave Sprint in the dust? Hard to say, but, personally, I doubt there is another superphone out there that Sprint is passing on. 4G is what is hot on all the carriers now, so unless HP/Palm has a few lying around, I would bet that most carriers won’t be seeing anything for a while.

Moving on…another bit of sad news…HP/Palm will not be releasing webOS 2.0 onto first gen Pres and Pixis until March 2011. Sprint will be getting the update first, then Verizon, then finally AT&T. This latter news is what we expect. Sprint releases all of their updates first, then Verizon takes its time, and finally AT&T remembers it actually sells webOS devices and updates about 6 months after everyone else. This lines up as well because the views we have seen of webOS on older Pres show that it isn’t complete or ready for Prime Time. March could be a good release window.

In a bit of Pre 2 news, our source tells us that, contrary to some other rumors out there, Verizon will be getting the Pre 2 sometime between now and the end of January. It will, of course, have webOS 2.0 on it (or 2.1), but older gen phones will have to wait till later (as mentioned above).

No mention of any tablets at all sadly…but that could simply be that the source is in the phone division rather than tablets. Who knows.

Now the biggest proof that I have that our source is actually an HP employee is that at the very end of the conversation they started talking about how 2011 will be the year of webOS and that HP appreciated all the patience the loyal fans have had so far and hope they can stick with them for a few more months….too funny. Even their leak emails talk about “the coming months”.

So there you have it. Quite a bit of info. Is it accurate? Time will tell, but it does ring true from everything we are hearing around the intertubes and other sources. What do you think?
    Last edited by corolla90; 12/23/2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Add more information
    wow I just read that, and it does seem in line with most. Though they did state a smaller device for carriers Q1, so maybe there flagship device wont be until june (strange though it would take that long to produce, and launch a device since say sept 2010). So it looks like Ill either wait with my Pre plus (sprint), or try out the htc pro 7 next month, then get whatever new device for the summer. lets hope they move a little faster then what they are claiming.
    To the OP ... that article might just be right. But if you think about it, most major phones are released during the summer months -- mainly because those phones are meant to take on th iPhone. So it makes since to launch a 4G device during the Summer 2011 -- which would be, in my mind, May - August 2011. But although I don't doubt that HP wont announce much @ CES, Palm is going to be there and if they plan on showing off just a Pre 2 they will be laughed at and the press will not be happy. If Palm is there, they better show off something. Otherwise don't show up.

Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    wow I just read that, and it does seem in line with most. Though they did state a smaller device for carriers Q1, so maybe there flagship device wont be until june (strange though it would take that long to produce, and launch a device since say sept 2010). So it looks like Ill either wait with my Pre plus (sprint), or try out the htc pro 7 next month, then get whatever new device for the summer. lets hope they move a little faster then what they are claiming.
    Thats possible, and I hope they do that. But a flagship device takes at least a year to develop, which if they started this @ the acquisition it actually was finished in June 2010 if memory serves me correct. It's entirely possible that Palm didn't have a powerful "flagship" device and Pre 2 was going to be it -- or that what they had planned was not good enough, so HP scrapped it. Either way, it would take a while not only to create the device and test it but also to create an effective ad campaign to go along with the device.

Also consider this ... TI OMAP 4 does not come ou in Q1, but Q2 yes, right? Maybe thats the hold up -- they feel their flagship device needs OMAP 4 and they have to wait for it. At any rate, my upgrade comes up in May 2011 so if I have to wait one more month I will be fine.
    Let the sprint /hp,palm bashing begin.

Sent using taptalk.
    So it's going to be like 2009? Show off a phone early spring and release it in June? Great more waiting.
    Doesn't Apple show off the iPhone and it's released the next month? Come on Palm get it together!!
    I'm ****ed but if i leave palm i dunno where to go. I like webOS 2 much....damn you palm
    Ehh....I buy into rumors at this point as much as I would buy an iPad two days before Apple has an event to announce the next generation model.

CES is but a couple weeks away. Ignore the buzz/noise until then, and see what happens.
    all i have to say is that patience is a virtue, ive waited this long for something, and i can wait a little longer... i just only hope that my 6th pre on sprint holds up until then, and if it does break and they cant replace it, then i will be offered a "free" upgrade and it wont be held against me
    undefined

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

Oops!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    since when does regurgetating the same rumors we've been hearing make you a credible source. I've heard every single thing he's just said be tossed around the rumor mill. So you take a bunch of rumors you just heard make a phone call and be convincing and all of a sudden it seems like a credible source even though you have no history with said person. I won't believe a thing till I see it.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    First of all, I kinda lost interest after the "HP won't be at CES" part. Unless I missed something, they have a huge room reserved...

Second, HP has said they will release a WebOS device every two months in 2011. Skipping the first six months of 2011 doesn't seem likely.

I call BS on the whole quote.
    HP promised in Septemebr of 2010 to release a family of hardware over the next year.

If anyone has any other HP quotes with better info, please post it.

We do know that at the 2009 CES, Palm announced the Pre. The Pre shipped 6/6/09.

At the 2010 CES, Palm announced the Pre Plus. It shipped on AT&T May 16, 2010.

In January and February we will learn more of the new products. If Palm is true to form delivery will be a few months later.

I cannot think of a time that Palm announced a new product and shipped it the same quarter.

But for now all we can do is speculate.

"...in the absence of genuine leadership, they'll listen to anyone..."

- Craig
    I'll wait for CES and see for myself. “Rumor-mongering Is Wrong…Except When I Do It”
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I don't think it is responsible to wait until June to release the good hardware.... lol.

I don't want to take this with a grain of salt.... I smash your grain of salt.....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    honestly I know the hardware will come.

it's the software that needs an update, from the basics...webOS, calender, adding missing features, and apps..that we should all be clamoring for.

if you're on your umpteenth pre or your hardware is "dying" go buy one of the plethora of android, blackberry, or replacement palm products on ebay and craigslist,so that way you won't have to suffer another contract renewal now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcurrens View Post
    First of all, I kinda lost interest after the "HP won't be at CES" part. Unless I missed something, they have a huge room reserved...

Second, HP has said they will release a WebOS device every two months in 2011. Skipping the first six months of 2011 doesn't seem likely.

I call BS on the whole quote.
    Not only that, what company announces "we'll have no announcements"? Especially a consumer products company speaking about the biggest consumer products show?
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    Don't worry, new hardware will be out ''in the coming months.'' Actually will see how it goes and what they bring out. Think if it is quality product, it will be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I cannot think of a time that Palm announced a new product and shipped it the same quarter.
    Wasn't the Pre 2 officially announced in October of this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    HP promised in Septemebr of 2010 to release a family of hardware over the next year.

If anyone has any other HP quotes with better info, please post it.

We do know that at the 2009 CES, Palm announced the Pre. The Pre shipped 6/6/09.

At the 2010 CES, Palm announced the Pre Plus. It shipped on AT&T May 16, 2010.

In January and February we will learn more of the new products. If Palm is true to form delivery will be a few months later.

But for now all we can do is speculate.

"...in the absence of genuine leadership, they'll listen to anyone..."

- Craig
    but didnt they release the plus first on verizon before AT&T? that was around what feb I think?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast