Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Not intended to be a rant but..

I have my 7th pre - and its falling apart again. I have been eligible since June for upgrade and waited patiently for hopefully a new phone launch before the holiday. Then I am waiting for CES. now rumors have it that phones or tablets wont be out until June 2011.

If I upgrade today, I will not be eligible for upgrade when new hardware comes out. Plus I would have to start over again with purchasing apps etc. What are you guys going to do? Upgrade now and wait extra months to go back to webos after you can upgrade again? Try and wait another 6 months before "supposed" hardware is supposed to come. What if it doesnt come in June 2011 and nt till Dec 2011? Then upgrading sounds good now and then i can at least have a serviceable phone until then.

The problem is the Pre - cant handle what I do everyday. Yes i have homebrew and overclocked it to 500/1000. The Pre+ is better Pre2 would have been great.

What are you guys thinking of doing? Go to Andriod and then come back? Leave for good. Stay with pre - and be frustrated for 6 months?

EDIT: Quick idea. Release the Pre2 on all carriers for the 100 dollars price in January. Let users upgrade early whenever your new devices come out in 2011. Kinda like what Apple and ATT did with ipHone users. I would pay to use the Pre2 now, then wait and pay again(albeit the SUBSIDIZED price of the newer phones). I think everyone wins here. Why they wont do this is beyond me
    if I get to where my pre dies and I can't get an insurance ($50 on vzw) or warranty replacement, i'll go back to my centro or my treo755p.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    if I get to where my pre dies and I can't get an insurance ($50 on vzw) or warranty replacement, i'll go back to my centro or my treo755p.
    thats crazy bro! haha I cant go back to palmOS. I need web, I need cloud services, etc etc. I also need a phone that can last throughout a heavy days amount of use, make phone calls, multitask, and be able to carry out all functions with finess...
    It wouldn't be as much fun, but I'd get more work done if my phone didn't have this great web browser and 3g speed.

and I'd get more use out of the netbook I bought along with my pre but before I became an addict.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    What are you guys thinking of doing? Go to Andriod and then come back? Leave for good. Stay with pre - and be frustrated for 6 months?
    4 - Stay with Pre and be happy I'm using webOS.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    You need to get a device which satisfies your requirements.

Personally, I am happy with my overclocked and patched Pre-, won't be leaving webOS anytime soon and look forward to seeing what HP Palm comes up with in the way of phones 'in the coming months'.
    I love your attitude I am on the same page. Things are gonna be great for us faithful. I know it. As long as what we use keeps us happy, content. Keep on keepin on. Impatience is a flaw of the foolish. I like the optimism.
    -shag-
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    When I really think about it I'd probably keep my Pre and use it at least another year or so even if Palm/WebOS ceased to exist tomorrow. Frankly I use what works well for me and that's the Pre. I'm not due for an upgrade for a while so if there was no way to replace my Pre on insurance I'd go back to my Centro a while. Seems crazy I know, but it works for me.

- Phil -
    There is still no perfect device out there, so it will be a compromise.
    Best UI is WebOS.... Android has a bad UI, but u have a lot of apps, and a lot of different devices to choose.

Even with new Palm Devices and webos2.x for all Palms, we would still have only a few apps. I love my Pre, but i hate HPalm. I hate to wait for coming months...
    I find myself in the same situation as the OP. However, I took a chance and bought the Evo 4g on Android 4 days ago. Yes, Android is not as fluid as WebOs but the solid phone, apps, and even call quality are great. It feels so good in your hands and the screen is just awesome.

I too was thinking if CES announces anything enticing on webos phones I would return the phone. However, this doesn't appear to be the case. So, I figure I will just stick to Android and when the hp/palm phone gets released I will go for it if I like it. Also, the Evo has been on sale for $100 at Radio Shack and I believe Best Buy will price match it for new contract or upgrade.

My thinking is also the price, right now the Evo is the lowest price its been and will probably drop even more as time goes on. When hp/palm releases the phone expect to pay around $300.

I really cant go back to the Pre having been on the Evo. All WebOs users are missing out on the better hardware and I have a lot of respect for the WebOs users who are going the distance. Playing Angry Birds for free on the Evo with the big screen is soooo much better than the Pre. The Evo has never lagged and rarely lags when I begin to multi-task on it. Lastly, the phone feels solid something I never felt while owning my Palm Pre since launch.

Its been a fun and roller coaster type ride with WebOs. I hope they do come out with better hardware that competes with Apple as I hope to rejoin. This will only help benefit the consumers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Not intended to be a rant but..

I have my 7th pre - and its falling apart again.
    Not intended as a diss, but...

What the hell are people doing with their Pre? He's not the first one to make such a statement. But I have to admit, every time I read something like this it puzzles me.

Yeah, the Pre isn't exactly rugged, but I have the first one I bought, and with the exception of one ding in the screen when it dropped behind my girlfriend's bed and an occasionally wonky headset jack (very occasionally, and only if I put too much stress on the jack), my phone is completely fine.

The way some folks post around here you'd think the Pre was made of Kleenex.

You guys using it as a doorstop or what?
    Trēo 650 -> Trēo 700P -> Trēo 755P -> Prē
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Retzius View Post
    I find myself in the same situation as the OP. However, I took a chance and bought the Evo 4g on Android 4 days ago. Yes, Android is not as fluid as WebOs but the solid phone, apps, and even call quality are great. It feels so good in your hands and the screen is just awesome.

I too was thinking if CES announces anything enticing on webos phones I would return the phone. However, this doesn't appear to be the case. So, I figure I will just stick to Android and when the hp/palm phone gets released I will go for it if I like it. Also, the Evo has been on sale for $100 at Radio Shack and I believe Best Buy will price match it for new contract or upgrade.

My thinking is also the price, right now the Evo is the lowest price its been and will probably drop even more as time goes on. When hp/palm releases the phone expect to pay around $300.

I really cant go back to the Pre having been on the Evo. All WebOs users are missing out on the better hardware and I have a lot of respect for the WebOs users who are going the distance. Playing Angry Birds for free on the Evo with the big screen is soooo much better than the Pre. The Evo has never lagged and rarely lags when I begin to multi-task on it. Lastly, the phone feels solid something I never felt while owning my Palm Pre since launch.

Its been a fun and roller coaster type ride with WebOs. I hope they do come out with better hardware that competes with Apple as I hope to rejoin. This will only help benefit the consumers.
    Funny, I'm actually going to a Pixi from the Pre because I don't want to worry about how I treat my device. I am not a huge fan of sliders and never have been. The iphone definitely does the best for those of us who aren't huge slider fans but want huge screens. Me? Well, I've already invested in Palm for now so Pixi it is (and cheap too!)
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Happy View Post
    Not intended as a diss, but...

What the hell are people doing with their Pre? He's not the first one to make such a statement. But I have to admit, every time I read something like this it puzzles me.

Yeah, the Pre isn't exactly rugged, but I have the first one I bought, and with the exception of one ding in the screen when it dropped behind my girlfriend's bed and an occasionally wonky headset jack (very occasionally, and only if I put too much stress on the jack), my phone is completely fine.

The way some folks post around here you'd think the Pre was made of Kleenex.

You guys using it as a doorstop or what?
    from Andriod to iOS, webOS meets my workflow needs better than any other os. I have put up with the Pre's crappy hardware but its now too much..(granted a few of my pre changes were for screen botches, screwed up earphone jacks etc)
    I totally have sympathies for those who are so unlucky that somehow they need to change their pre 7 times. Can one really get so unlucky?

I am on still on my first pre phone using in Singapore, which I bought from O2 Germany shipped from Germany. If I were to be as unlucky as having a lemon for 7 times, I will go bankrupt!

Fortunately, my pre held up for these times and I never had any of the major issues a lot of people who keeps changing the phones are complaining about. So it really makes me wonder if one is really so unlucky or its the way we treat the phones?
    Last edited by NiceGuy; 12/23/2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: bad spelling correction
    I had a launch day Pre until it crapped out on me a month ago and Sprint replaced the chipset for me at no charge but the next day I had a crack at the USB port and the little plastic USB door came off along with a small piece of plastic from inside the phone! The crack quickly extended onto the screen so the sprint store replaced it at no charge and I now feel rejuvinated enough to hold out for the Hpalm phones that will hopefully be announced in a couple weeks.
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

I think they are hoping you actually wait 2 more weeks and actually here from the real source what's actually going to be released and when, as opposed to unnamed sources stating what I believe is BS. Why rent a large room at CES if you aren't showing hardware?
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    I think they are hoping you actually wait 2 more weeks and actually here from the real source what's actually going to be released and when, as opposed to unnamed sources stating what I believe is BS. Why rent a large room at CES if you aren't showing hardware?
    Exactly. Why would Palm be @ CES if they plan on showing ... nothing? Here is the Pre 2 guys ... yea, we should it to you. Look this is ... WebOS 2.0 ... oh you want more? We'll, it's coming guy's ... I mean it this time ...

I am sorry if they do that it be crazy. I would admit maybe not show us a flagship device. Maybe show us a Pixi follow up, announce they are HP, announce WebOS 2.5 (or announce hardware and have a HP Conference to showcase WebOS 2.5 features). So we will just see!!!
    This is a consumer electronics show. The big booths are showing TVs, iPods, toasters that can print the shopping list hanging on the fridge. Also TV networks, Cable Companies, etc. I've been to CES and I can see why they would limit themselves to hospitality events and private showings for large corporate customers. That means they could be briefing the press on printers, or corporate clients on a new line of blade servers. And if they show Palm stuff, it's likely to be under NDA. It makes more sense to me that they would do their own event, although I'd certainly rather they don't hesitate.
    I'm an original pre owner as well.. Well in canadian terms.. Anyways. Is the hardware perfect? No. But this thing has been dropped, beaten, and overall not treated with the best care. She's still perfect.

I hate to see people comment that the have had x amount of replacements as I'm sure it must be a hassle.

every device will have issues regardless. Nothing is perfect. If things were this capitalistic society really wouldn't go over so well (even thou its not for different reasons).. Anyways. I also believe that people need to stop putting it on a pedestal. At the end of the day.. Its just a bloody cell phone. Love it or hate it, you'll always end up finding a specific problem one way or another with any device.

hp/palm owe you nothing. Rumours are simply.. Rumours. Rubi has no entitlement whatsoever to leak details or give you information ahead of time.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    could it be that all the anti-webos comments on the internet are coming from android or apple? Would apple or google pay some people to post bad comments of webos? Making it sound like they were/are "loyal" webos customers that got screwed with their pre? Most of the negative comments are fake( 7 time replacements,etc)
    could hp palm start an investigation about the posts in these forums?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast