Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Happy View Post
    Yeah, the Pre isn't exactly rugged, but I have the first one I bought, and with the exception of one ding in the screen when it dropped behind my girlfriend's bed and an occasionally wonky headset jack (very occasionally, and only if I put too much stress on the jack), my phone is completely fine.
    My former work Sprint Pre went everywhere with me for 1.5 years up until last week when it was replaced with a Verizon Droid-X by my employer.

While juggling a notebook computer and two-way radio, I reached into my pocket to pull out Pre #1 to take a picture. It slipped out of it's SPE pocket pouch, and hit the tile floor hard. The screen shattered internally, but the Pre's case was not damaged more than could be buffed out.

The insurance-provided refurb (Pre #2) came out of the box with an issue that would turn off the ear piece speaker whenever I held the phone up to my ear. I tried the ghastly headset and cleaned the headset connector, but nothing would make the earpiece work. (I didn't doctor the phone, though.) Since I really don't make phone calls but a few minutes per week, I just used the phone on speaker because I was too busy to go through the rebuild process on yet another phone and needed it working 24/7 for on-call emergencies. I never used the headset jack on the phone, FWIW.

When I retired Pre #2 last week, it had some small cracks on one corner of the case. I snapped the battery door off to yank the touchstone internals for an experiment, and discovered that the battery door had a long crack in it that was not visible until I removed it. No oreo, and not as much as a scuff on the screen. (In case anyone was wondering about the touchstone internals, they cannot be transplanted into a Droid-X cleanly because Motorola used a metal case and battery door.)

Long story short, neither phone ever had a screen protector or cover of any kind, other than the SPE pocket pouch for when I was carrying it in my pocket. Although it feels delicate and slips out of your hand like a wet bar of soap, I thought that it held up pretty good to the abuse that I put it through. If I had replaced the second unit for the speaker problem, I would have been on Pre #3. Could I believe that someone went through 7 phones? Yes.

My personal Verizon P+ only leaves the house on weekends or when I'm taking an overnight trip, and it doesn't have as much as a scratch on it.....
    Not intended as a diss, but...

What the hell are people doing with their Pre? He's not the first one to make such a statement. But I have to admit, every time I read something like this it puzzles me.

Yeah, the Pre isn't exactly rugged, but I have the first one I bought, and with the exception of one ding in the screen when it dropped behind my girlfriend's bed and an occasionally wonky headset jack (very occasionally, and only if I put too much stress on the jack), my phone is completely fine.

The way some folks post around here you'd think the Pre was made of Kleenex.

You guys using it as a doorstop or what?
    i'm on my fourth pre and my usb door is cracked already and its starting to move to the screen, I was very careful with this refurb never dropped it, and the hardware is failing again.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    I had a launch day Pre until it crapped out on me a month ago and Sprint replaced the chipset for me at no charge but the next day I had a crack at the USB port and the little plastic USB door came off along with a small piece of plastic from inside the phone! The crack quickly extended onto the screen so the sprint store replaced it at no charge and I now feel rejuvinated enough to hold out for the Hpalm phones that will hopefully be announced in a couple weeks.
    This is the 3rd time this exact same thing has happened to my pre, Its frustrating because i would stick with my overclocked pre if the hardware wasn't so terrible.
    Not intended as a diss, but...

What the hell are people doing with their Pre? He's not the first one to make such a statement. But I have to admit, every time I read something like this it puzzles me.

The way some folks post around here you'd think the Pre was made of Kleenex.

You guys using it as a doorstop or what?
    yeah I say the same thing I had the launch day pre minus up until last month (I bought a pluss version and a old pre, to plus it for sprint). I sold the one I had since launch day with no dings, scratchs or cracks. The phone was flawless, with only the usb door cover coming off. I baby every phone Ive had, and believe me unless people are trying to break the pre, it shouldnt be murdered like people keep saying. Also on a side note I had a Evo on another line for 5 months and sold it. Though the hardware is good, its too big and bulky, and Android's OS is very inferior to Webos very. I would recommend though for anyone on sprint that wants to wait to consider plussing your pre. Pre plus's are cheap as ever on ebay, and there are alot of people on here, and webosworld that will plus it for you for free, or the most 30 dollars. The plus version is alot sleeker looking, better build, and runs awhole lot smoother at 1.2ghz. It is just as fast if not faster then the EVO when I used to run tests on it so speed and lag is no longer there with a OC pre plus version. To the OP if nothing until june Ill either wait, or I might try out the HTC Pro 7 coming to sprint next month. WP7 is very sleek our companys has been using it for about a month (the surround AT&T version) and it is very very nice. Its no Webos, but If I'm leaving it will be for that which OS wise IMO is alot better then android, and IOS.
    I don't know, I am still on my 1st Pre that I got in June of 09, never babied it, just used it like all of my other cell phones that I have owned. I see it easily lasting another 6 months. We have 2 more Pres in our family that are holding up well too.
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    could it be that all the anti-webos comments on the internet are coming from android or apple? Would apple or google pay some people to post bad comments of webos? Making it sound like they were/are "loyal" webos customers that got screwed with their pre? Most of the negative comments are fake( 7 time replacements,etc)
    could hp palm start an investigation about the posts in these forums?
    you dont have to pay people to do that....plenty of people troll for free
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    could it be that all the anti-webos comments on the internet are coming from android or apple? Would apple or google pay some people to post bad comments of webos? Making it sound like they were/are "loyal" webos customers that got screwed with their pre? Most of the negative comments are fake( 7 time replacements,etc)
    could hp palm start an investigation about the posts in these forums?
    Yes - Apple and Google planted me here 10 years ago as part of a sleeper cell on the off chance that 7 or 8 years after positioning me here they might both be in the phone business competing with an entirely new OS from Palm. Very plausible.

I've had a total of 4 Pres on 2 accounts. One was replaced for a bad screen, the other was replaced for cracks extending from the USB port to the screen.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Yes - Apple and Google planted me here 10 years ago as part of a sleeper cell on the off chance that 7 or 8 years after positioning me here they might both be in the phone business competing with an entirely new OS from Palm. Very plausible.

I've had a total of 4 Pres on 2 accounts. One was replaced for a bad screen, the other was replaced for cracks extending from the USB port to the screen.

i have my pre for a year and half already . never had any problems
    3 other friends have a pre, and everything works perfect. they know other people that have pre, and everything is ok. what can i tell you...
    from reading these forums it seems like there is an evil curse on palm...
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    remember guys, pick your carrier and get the best phone your carrier has. Wait till ces, see what palm has coming out and for whom and then decide.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Wow - this is my thread. I'm on the orig Pre minus from Sprint - 18 months old. Still physically fine, though I admit I don't throw my phones around. I was very willing to wait until 2.0 hit in late fall as originally stated. Now - not until June '11 for new hardware, and some people saying that 2.0 will NOT go to Sprint Pres!!?? I'm really disappointed. But my Pre and webos is real productive, not just for pics, music and podcasts, and starting over with another os is really a drag. Come On HP!! You got people starving out here! 'Course maybe they are just concerned with enterprise.....
    My original Pre minus lasted 1 year (cracked at ball). The following 3 Pre minus refurbished units lasted 3 weeks. The current Pre minus hasn't worked right from the first day I got it, back in July or August as the ear speaker doesn't work. I use it exclusively on speaker or bluetooth and always have.

I wasn't a believer in the Pre being a total hunk of junk until I started going through the refurbs. I have been upgrade eligible since June or July. I've had it with Palm at this point, and the only thing that's keeping me on this clunker of a device is the overclocking (otherwise unusable), and the fact the rest of Sprint's phones are junk and I don't see spending double for the same service at Verizon or AT&T.
    My household has 2 Pre's. I have had mine for 9 months and my wife has had hers for 6 months. I have some spider cracks on my screen, but its not bad enough to turn the phone in. I am hoping to get get a new HPalm phone when I am eligible for an upgrade. I have dropped mine and it keeps on ticking. The Pre has been very durable for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    from Andriod to iOS, webOS meets my workflow needs better than any other os. I have put up with the Pre's crappy hardware but its now too much..(granted a few of my pre changes were for screen botches, screwed up earphone jacks etc)
    You should live with screen blotches (from the backlight). They are usually noticible only on a light blue background and essentially they are part of the phone's design (about 5 of these across the bottom).

You should find an almost new Pre for sale locally on CraigsList and inspect it, and if it's a good phone, buy that the get you through until a new device is out. (and then you will have a great spare phone). You really don't have any other choice if you want to stay on WebOS which you claim best meets your requirements. The decision in your case is pretty cut and dry. JUST DO IT!!!

EDIT: PS: Rip out the USB cover as soon as you get the new phone. (If you are careful, you can wiggle it free with about 1-3 minutes of work and then file it away in a plastic bag. It serves no purpose on your phone other than to limit it's life to 9 months.)

EDIT2: Don't buy a refurb as it might not last as long as a first-run phone. Get it from someone who recently bought a Pre but switched to Andriod. (These people do exist!)
    Last edited by sudoer; 12/27/2010 at 12:43 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Im going to play devils advocate here,

What do you want HP/Palm to do?? They have done everything they can.

They would love to sell you a Pre 2 and have it work with Sprint/Verizon.

The CDMA technology is possible to create an unlocked phone that you could then take to Sprint or Verizon and have it activated.

You used to be able to take Verizon phones and get them activated on Sprint. The Treo 755 booted with a Verizon logo and was offered on Sprint!

Its just that carriers have decided to lock all their devices down and disallow you to use a phone not offered directly from them.

What should HP/Palm do? Nothing. What should you do? Leave Sprint/Verizon if you are upset.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    i'll go back to my centro... i have not yet become addicted to spending hard earned dollars on apps...
    Palm IV > Palm Treo 600 > Palm Centro > Palm Pre Plus > Nokia Lumia 920
    I'm on my 4th Pre. The first one was pretty tough but ot died after 9 months because the USB stress crack spread to the screen and stopped the digitizer from working. The 2nd (a refurb from Palm) turned out to be a piece of crap but I still used it for 3 months before bringing it to the Sprint store where it was replaced on the spot with refurb #3 which was as good as new until I lost it. Pre #4 was purchased from on CraigsList from a girl who fell in love with the android robot. #4 is not a refurb. #4 will be good for at least another year!
    I'm on my and I love it! I was just jumping from Asphalt 5 to Golf (back and forth); I mean I like my wife's droid 2; however, the Pre Plus that I use has got to be the most awesome cell phone device around. I go to Verizon, and sorry, those Androids can't touch it. I got until May 2012 so I got plenty of time; however, if I were in the OP's shoes; I would at least wait until after the CES 2011 is over.They may not be showing much; however, perhaps, they may at least give us a better idea of what is coming and when. Meanwhile, I'm back to playing "Let's golf" or Asphalt5 or Angry Birds or whatever else I fancy to do!
    Last edited by artwest50; 12/27/2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Missing a portion of 1st sentence. I'm on my 3rd Palm Pre Plus and I love it!
    I screwed up on my last post (I typed it on my netbook and sometimes the keyboard get screwy.) I meant to say that I'm on my 3rd Palm Pre Plus.
    Yea shloime, Apple and Google are so concerned about webos that they'll do anything to crush it!

I'm a launch day pre owner and have gone through too many exchanges to count. Everyone has been for a different reason, all covered on this site. Every time i get a replacement, it's mostly just to get my sick phone healthy, only because I don't know how long it will have to last me. Hopefully there will be new devices soon, and I won't have to worry about it for too much longer.

I have spent about a week with android, and have already picked my pre back up. Android's notifications lack where webos doesn't, I also miss my combined text/googletalk mailbox, it also doesn't play very nicely with my ford Sync system. The bluetooth is very unreliable. The bluetooth stuff is hardware specific i'm sure, either way, the pre beats it.

To those who can't figure out how folks can go through so many pre's, just realize that you are the lucky ones, or you guys are super light on your phones. I like to think that I baby my pre, but continue to have very odd problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by artwest50 View Post
    I screwed up on my last post (I typed it on my netbook and sometimes the keyboard get screwy.) I meant to say that I'm on my 3rd Palm Pre Plus.
    I liked it better when we could fill in the ____ regarding what you were on!

I've been the practical sort and stayed away from most games on WebOS (and other platforms for that matter). I have a flight back to Milwaukee tomorrow morning (and the customary wait at the airport before then). Never even played angry birds. (Staying on topic ...) Does anyone know what Palm expects me to do? What game to you think they (actually you) think I will like to play in a cramped seat in the absence of cell or wifi and later on to combat boredom until new WebOS 2.0 and beyond devices arrive?

thx,
    --
    Bob
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast