Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    If the Pre 2 is going to be released to the USA, then why is it that everyone is selling all their Pre accessories at clearance prices?

I believe that the Pre 2 will in some form or another be released to US carriers, but with what means is what troubles me. The Pre 2 supposedly is not going to be released with a touchstone back. Well, will it ever be? If Verizon and carriers of the like sell all their touchstones. What will be left for Pre 2 owners?

Maybe a new version of the touchstone will be released. Who knows. But, if I were a company and I had plans to carry a produced, I would want to sell accessories during its release.

Just a thought, want to you think!
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    It is released. Just like the Nokia N8's released.
    Wait about a month if you're waiting for the Pre 2 to have a release date for Verizon.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I understand that it will be released. The thing is why sell all accessories at clearance if you know the phone phone will be released soon.

Only 2 reasons I can come up with..

1) New accessory hardware also will be released, or

2)There are no plans on keeping the phone around long.

It already is becoming hard to find Pre accessories at local stores. So when the phone is released (unless they restock) it will still be equally as hard to get them.

Doesn't sound like a good marketing plan for carries, unless you have no real plans on selling the phone for long!
    companies don't hold inventory for future devices, even if they are inclined to work. A single company like palm and a small number of skus would cost way more to track than clearing them out.

These accessories carry a huge mark-up so they are still making money, and made much more at full price from early adopters.

Also, mfg costs are often recovered in the first round of shipments, so the cost from palm is probably half of what is was when they first started coming off the assembly line.
    it's also a safe bet that the packaging will be updated for newer devices, and the accessories will have packaging that matches. Including HP logos.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    companies don't hold inventory for future devices, even if they are inclined to work. A single company like palm and a small number of skus would cost way more to track than clearing them out.

These accessories carry a huge mark-up so they are still making money, and made much more at full price from early adopters.

Also, mfg costs are often recovered in the first round of shipments, so the cost from palm is probably half of what is was when they first started coming off the assembly line.
    Ummm, that makes sense. Thank you.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    it's also a safe bet that the packaging will be updated for newer devices, and the accessories will have packaging that matches. Including HP logos.
    Also makes sense! Thanks.
    "The Pre 2 supposedly is not going to be released with a touchstone back."

I just bought some of those accessories in anticipation f getting a Pre 2.
    I thought it had a touchstone back.
    Am I missing something?
    the Pre2 DOES come with a touchstone back.
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    the Pre2 DOES come with a touchstone back.
    yes that's all I've ever heard as well.
    Commerce and buisnesses do not work under the same logic that the first poster has thought out.

They simply price things at clearance when they do not move off the shelves and they need to make more room for new inventory.

They dont have people keeping tabs on Precentral and when new devices will be out.

If the same stores sell the Pre 2, they would still put the old inventory that came with the Pre on sale, and restock new accessories for the Pre 2, even if they were the identical same accessories.

In their inventory systems they would show that the new accessories are for the Pre 2, and the old clearance ones are for the Pre. Even if the new accessories were identical, they would have different SKU's for a line of Pre 2 accessories. They would also be labeled to work with the Pre 2, and the old accessories not to work, just because the old accessories came out before the existence of the Pre2, and thus there was no way to know if they were to be compatible.

People at retail stores work off of an inventory system, not common sense. They dont get paid enough to think. And if they make a wrong decision, they get in bit **** for not following protocol.

So even though the old Pre accessories work with the Pre 2, they arent branded and labelled in the inventory system that way, and thus they would remain on clearance to make way for Pre 2 accessories, even though they are identical, priced much higher.

And the average consumer would still buy the newer accessories, unaware that the Pre ones work fine and are 1/10th the cost.

So the accessories still being on clearance means nothing.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Why do people keep talking about the Pre 2 being released in the US as something in the future?

It already IS released in the US.
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    Why do people keep talking about the Pre 2 being released in the US as something in the future?

It already IS released in the US.
    It is because US consumers only know how to buy subsidised locked phones from carriers.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Guys, maybe, like, go out and look for things instead of waiting for your carrier to tell you what you can and can't do?
    [twitter]_____[blog]______[im]__
    For now: Nexus One | iPad 2
    When avail. in Aus: Pre3 16GB | Touchpad 16GB

This is a forum for WebOS enthusiasts. It is not a place for negative rants about Palm, HP or WebOS.
    Criticism is important but so is a positive environment. Remember, we're here because we love WebOS.
    if palm starts offering a CDMA phone I can use on VZW, I'd be over it!
    Quote Originally Posted by bennish View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Guys, maybe, like, go out and look for things instead of waiting for your carrier to tell you what you can and can't do?
    Unlocked is meaningless in the US. Two of the four national carriers use CDMA, not GSM. One of the remaining two uses a 3G band that Palm's unlocked phones does not support. That leaves AT&T, so you can "go out and look" all you like, but the only carrier it will fully work as intended on is AT&T.

You'll pay the same contract rate whether you buy it unsubsidized/unlocked or not.

So, for the vast, vast majority of consumers here, the Palm Pre 2 is not released in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    So, for the vast, vast majority of consumers here, the Palm Pre 2 is not released in the US.
    ... on their carrier, or at their price point. The qualifications are needed.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    ... on their carrier, or at their price point. The qualifications are needed.

-- Rod
    Well, in this day and age of global internet shopping, very little is "not released in the US".

But an unpromoted product that cannot be touched or seen in person, can only be used on one carrier that most users here are not on, and can only be ordered directly from the manufacturer at one price is as good as nonexistent for the vast majority of US cellphone consumers.

You can finesse or qualify that however you like, but the point is...it's a nonentity.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But an unpromoted product that cannot be touched or seen in person, can only be used on one carrier that most users here are not on, and can only be ordered directly from the manufacturer at one price is as good as nonexistent for the vast majority of US cellphone consumers.

You can finesse or qualify that however you like, but the point is...it's a nonentity.
    Agreed. A nonentity to consumers that has definitely been released in the US.

One has to assume that's not by chance or default.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Agreed. A nonentity to consumers that has definitely been released in the US.

One has to assume that's not by chance or default.

-- Rod
    HP moves in mysterious, tight-lipped ways, my friend (Although Palm was happy to publicly ask users to beg Sprint to carry the phone). I guess we'll see what's the future - or lack thereof - for the Palm Pre 2 in the US within the next month or two.