Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Here's a couple of questions, then: If it only was some small grab bag of inventory they inherited, why debut WebOS 2.0 on it? Better yet, why sell it "as a developer device" when the more "high end" devices - ostensibly with higher resolutions and different processor architecture - you want them to develop for will be announced in under 90 days?
    Why debut 2.0 on it? Easier (more memory than the Pre minus, not sure about Pre Plus or Pixie)? Wanted leverage over carriers (we won't release 2.0 to your folks unless you commit to buying future devices, etc.)? The new devices weren't ready yet (they gave the developers these phones in Nov, the soonest the new devices will be ready is after Feb. 9? You are still working out the kinks of new frameworks for the new devices? Who knows?

There a tons of potential valid reasons, right? I really don't think the decision was Pre 2 vs. Hot New Device. I think the decision was probably send out the Pre 2 vs. letting them sit unopened in some warehouse.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I don't understand this fantasy that there were pallets of Pre 2 sitting in a warehouse for months. I thought these devices were all built-to-order for the carriers. I mean, the ones built for France are different than the ones built for the US, right? There are differences in the hardware keyboard. Anyone who has been in the technology business for any length of time knows that you don't have boxes of high-tech sitting in a warehouse anywhere for any length of time. These things lose like 20% of their value each month.
    I think their financial reports when they were bought has the answer. And even if they aren't in a warehouse, the order may have already been signed, and legally binding.

And you are obviously right, you don't want boxes sitting in a warehouse. But when companies go down, all sorts of plans get out-of-wack. The assumption is these were ordered while Palm was being bought, or even before.

I really think this is the simpliest explanation.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  3.    #143  
    Well, the circumstantial evidence is pretty clear that they had expectations for this phone that were not met, such as Sprint. But enough of the obvious. Something went drastically wrong. Here is the next logical question: Will Verizon actually carry the Pre2, or will it just wither on the vine?

My prediction: Verizon will not carry the phone. SFR probably feels like fools. The P2 will be used as a publicity stunt, maybe a charitable donation, or some such. HP will try to pretend that they never actually meant for the Pre2 to sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    ...what do you do? Do you sell the device yourself, and hurt your relationship with the carriers? Do you try to sell them to the carriers, who won't buy it because it isn't much better than the old Pre's? And if you do, do you spend money marketing it, or focus on refocusing and coming out with a real new set of products, even if this means a longer delay?

Their alternatives? Throw away a stockpile of phones you already made? Maybe. Make a big launch? If you only have a small inventory, or don't expect to sell alot, that is just a waste of money.
    There's one alternative you're forgetting:

They should have made a contest to generate interest in WebOS and give them away in a countdown to Feb 9th. It would have saved them money, because it's great marketing tool and they could of had a nice tax write off too.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678