Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    like I said, I don't think the pre 2 was meant to be a developer device, but, hp is selling the pre 2s at a discount, only to developers.

so what do you call that?
    The Pre 2 is a pre season game for HP/Palm. Some people on here are acting like its supposed to be the Super Bowl
    I hope hp will be doing some good advertising for whatever devices they come out with because the CEO's for Verizon said they will be pushing the Iphone and the CEO of AT&T will be aggressively pushing Android to counter. This leaves Sprint and Tmobile which has never had a webos device and we don't Know if Sprint is even willing to carry one.

Sfm Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    like I said, I don't think the pre 2 was meant to be a developer device, but, hp is selling the pre 2s at a discount, only to developers.

A mistake?
    And what do you call a device that is only advertised to developers, and for which there is a developer discount?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Having been in tech sales and marketing since the time of Noah's ark... let me just point out that "launching" a product is much different than simply making something available for sale.

There are soft launches, product releases with no launch, etc.

I've stated why I think HP chose to release the Pre2 when and how they did, once they missed the intended timing because of the Palm acquisition.

History will tell us which of us had the opinion closest to fact. My guess is that there is some of each that will prove out. I'm shooting for the positive, and it's fine for others to see the darker possibilities.
    This and your earlier posts were spot on.

The issue appears to be that many here dont seem to understand how the marketing and sales side of things work. The Pre2 was not a launch, it was more of a release that appears to have been haulted as well. After reading many posts, I sometime think it doesnt matter what the heck HP does, its not going to be good enough for some here.

Come 2/9/11 we all will witness what preparation for a release looks like from a company of HP's stature. I would like for folks here to then compare what they call the Pre2 launch to HP's future devices.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 01/29/2011 at 10:46 AM.
  7.    #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    The Pre2 was not a launch, it was more of a release that appears to have been haulted as well.
    That's still a launch, just a bad one. They didn't halt or change their mind about the launch; they just failed to achieve liftoff with carriers, consumers, and developers. If they knew this would happen, why do it in the first place? They clearly intended for it to be carried by more providers. The providers publicly, and embarrassingly said NO! Now, the spin from the supporters is that it was never intended to be a launch.

After reading many posts, I sometime think it doesnt matter what the heck HP does, its not going to be good enough for some here.
    This thread is not about what HP does in the future, but about what went wrong with the Pre2 launch. I should know, I am the OP.

Come 2/9/11 we all will witness what preparation for a release looks like from a company of HP's stature. I would like for folks here to then compare what they call the Pre2 launch to HP's future devices.
    Again, what they do right in the future has nothing to do with what when wrong with the present Pre2 launch. You might argue that they have found religion and will be correcting past mistakes. Good for them. But that is off topic.
    the future means nothing??

to me that's laughable...perhaps "the future" has everything to do with the carriers deciding to say "NO!" to the Pre2...

once the carriers got a whiff of HP's future roadmap I can see them saying -something like this:

"HP we like this Pre2 thing but we would MUCH rather pass on it and get to work with you on your FUTURE ROADMAP"

I wasn't in the meeting so I don't kno for sure but I do kno that in many marketing meetings the future is discussed
  9.    #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    the future means nothing??

to me that's laughable...perhaps "the future" has everything to do with the carriers deciding to say "NO!" to the Pre2...

once the carriers got a whiff of HP's future roadmap I can see them saying -something like this:

"HP we like this Pre2 thing but we would MUCH rather pass on it and get to work with you on your FUTURE ROADMAP"

I wasn't in the meeting so I don't kno for sure but I do kno that in many marketing meetings the future is discussed
    Let's assume you are right, and HP had this conversation about the "future." Why release the Pre2? They clearly expected something for the Pre2 that didn't happen.
    ultimately it's not any better...

it's just that my meeting was positive and productive...

and your meeting was negative where one company dissed the other with insulting remarks...

it happens both ways
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Let's assume you are right, and HP had this conversation about the "future." Why release the Pre2? They clearly expected something for the Pre2 that didn't happen.
    because they had it already when they aquired palm, which is a fact, as evidence by the FCC filing from before they bought palm.

they had a device already developed, which was not HP's doing, but could run 2.0 and cost them nothing to develop further, so why not put it out there, and have a test bed for webOS 2.0

its pretty obvious, especially given Verizon not releasing it yet, they have bigger things coming and decided to go with those than something that was clearly made for some 10 months ago or so.

it certainly isn't anything to do with the ability of HP to make devices, that is a silly idea.
    There are four lights.
    Why release the Pre2? They clearly expected something for the Pre2 that didn't happen.
    Maybe as a developer device? But no, that would make too much sense, being the simplest explanation.

HP clearly aimed for world domination with the Pre 2. Hence the big hullaballoo at the launch event and all the print and TV ads. And they FAILED!!! What other than failure can the future bring, then?
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post

i call that cutting their losses because not many is rushing out to buy the pre two.
    That's still a launch, just a bad one. They didn't halt or change their mind about the launch; they just failed to achieve liftoff with carriers, consumers, and developers. If they knew this would happen, why do it in the first place? They clearly intended for it to be carried by more providers. The providers publicly, and embarrassingly said NO! Now, the spin from the supporters is that it was never intended to be a launch.

This thread is not about what HP does in the future, but about what went wrong with the Pre2 launch. I should know, I am the OP.

Again, what they do right in the future has nothing to do with what when wrong with the present Pre2 launch. You might argue that they have found religion and will be correcting past mistakes. Good for them. But that is off topic.
    Gotcha,

I will politely leave your thread focusing on Palms Pre2, and look forward to what HP has to offer on 2/9/11 and beyond.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    because they had it already when they aquired palm, which is a fact, as evidence by the FCC filing from before they bought palm.

they had a device already developed, which was not HP's doing, but could run 2.0 and cost them nothing to develop further, so why not put it out there, and have a test bed for webOS 2.0

its pretty obvious, especially given Verizon not releasing it yet, they have bigger things coming and decided to go with those than something that was clearly made for some 10 months ago or so.

it certainly isn't anything to do with the ability of HP to make devices, that is a silly idea.
    It may not have anything to do with HP's ability to make devices, but it speaks volumes about HP's ability to make decisions.
  16.    #136  
    Looks like even P/C has joined the chorus of those who are publicly wondering what went wrong with this launch.

The Curious Case of the Verizon Palm Pre 2 | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

My favorite line was the one about sunspots.
    Last edited by dandbj13; 02/03/2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: typos
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post

+1000

Palm probably had the Pre 2 pretty much finished a year ago, but then the Verizon/Pre Plus disaster struck (way too many made, not sold), Palm lost their shirt, and had to sell itself.

At that point, assuming they either had a small inventory of Pre 2's built, or on order, or designed, what do you do? Do you sell the device yourself, and hurt your relationship with the carriers? Do you try to sell them to the carriers, who won't buy it because it isn't much better than the old Pre's? And if you do, do you spend money marketing it, or focus on refocusing and coming out with a real new set of products, even if this means a longer delay?

My guess is that they decided to dump their small inventory - got some carriers to buy some (at a discount?), sold them cheaply to developers to let them play with WebOS2, and sold some directly to die-hard Palm fans.

Their alternatives? Throw away a stockpile of phones you already made? Maybe. Make a big launch? If you only have a small inventory, or don't expect to sell alot, that is just a waste of money.

I think HPalm did the right thing (and not just because they gave me one free at Dev Day ;-> ). The Pre2 is actually a nice device, and if it came out when it was supposed to, it was close in specs to its competitors.

In any case, the last of the stand-alone Palm devices and ideas are going to go through the pipeline soon, and after that, we'll see stuff that is 100% conceived post buy-out.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Here's a couple of questions, then: If it only was some small grab bag of inventory they inherited, why debut WebOS 2.0 on it? Better yet, why sell it "as a developer device" when the more "high end" devices - ostensibly with higher resolutions and different processor architecture - you want them to develop for will be announced in under 90 days?
    Looks like even P/C has joined the chorus of those who are publicly wondering what went wrong with this launch.

The Curious Case of the Verizon Palm Pre 2 | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

My favorite line was the one about sunspots.
    Kind of a non-issue if the next product roll-out is successful. Since nobody know exactly what was going on behind the scenes (and the people who do don't seem to post here) most of this is idle speculation. All we know for sure is that the Pre2 development pre-dated HP's involvement.

Do you really think they were going to sell more of the P2's than they did of the original Pres? (That is why it's a "non-issue"). The best thing to happen for them was to not blow a trumpet over this device. (I happen to like the form factor, but it looks like too much of the same to move the needle, sales-wise).

It's quite possible that if the newer products are a hit, this will look like a genius move, whether it was intentional or not. And nobody will care about the Pre 2 except for geeks like us.

It's obvious there was no real effort to promote the Pre2, as contrasted with the buildup to the Feb 9th launch. That tells me all need to know.

(wish they would have just used the P2's for warranty replacement)

C
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Here's a couple of questions, then: If it only was some small grab bag of inventory they inherited, why debut WebOS 2.0 on it? Better yet, why sell it "as a developer device" when the more "high end" devices - ostensibly with higher resolutions and different processor architecture - you want them to develop for will be announced in under 90 days?
    Never was a "developer's device". Don't know why people keep saying that it was. But I'm willing to be convinced if someone wants to take a crack at it.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast