Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 144
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    ...
    When Apple finally released the iPhone, you know, the phone they actually did make, the world shook, and hasn't stopped shaking. That actually was their first foray into the phone business. That cannot be said of Palm or HP. They are like the old ladies at the dance with too much makeup and plastic surgery, trying to pretend they are still young and inexperienced. There is no comparison to Apple and the iPhone. If I were you, I wouldn't even bring that up.
    Does Apple actually make the iPhone. I mean, is there a plant somewhere where Chinese children are laboring 18 hours a day building components? Or, does Apple just job out the different components, as well as the final assembly?

    I mean, if you're going to play fast and loose with what qualifies as a "foray into the phone business"; how about some full disclosure?

    iPhone: Who's the real manufacturer? (It isn't Apple) | Texyt

    No, Apple doesn't "make" the iPhone (in the same sense that Palm doesn't "make" the Pre), though I appreciate the argument that it was the first "only their's" design. That said, to pretend that Apples collaborative work with Cingluar (ATT) and the investment of literally millions of dollars into the ROKR wasn't a "foray into the phone business" is pure fan fiction.
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Absolute BS. Palm never had iTunes service on one of their devices. Another one of the made up "facts" that fans of other devices tends to throw around here.
    I think he is talking about the iTunes SYnc that was in webOS originally.
  3. vreihen's Avatar
    Posts
    495 Posts
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Establish your smartphone brand as mid-range to discount and then come back and try to sell it as a premium device which is better than the iPhone? I think that's why Saturn never did well as a sports car.
    THIS is why Saturn didn't do well as a sports car:

    http://www.waiautox.org/2000/saturn.jpg

    I'll agree with your argument about trying to go from value brand to premium, and even continue the car analogy by saying that Verizon's blowout deals on the Pre+ turned Palm into the VW of smartphones. It took Volkswagen almost 20 years to distance themselves from the original aircooled Beetles in consumer's minds, and I would applaud HP/Palm if *they* decided to hold up the Pre2 release to prevent the brand dilution until all of their cards are on the table with their anticipated upcoming product announcement(s).....
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think he is talking about the iTunes SYnc that was in webOS originally.
    I'm confident he knows exactly what I meant. I'm also confident he knows that Apple did not make, design, or otherwise direct the production of the Motorola ROKR. He knows that the ROKR is to the iPhone, what peanut butter is to diamonds.

    I suspect, though am not as confident, that he knows something went very wrong with the P2 launch, but does not want to lose face by admitting it. This is not about face, and it is most certainly not about Apple. When it comes to the Pre 2, HP blew it. There is just no other reasonable position to take. How their signals got crossed so badly is still an open question worthy of discussion, IMO.
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think he is talking about the iTunes SYnc that was in webOS originally.
    That explanation doesn't fit. The Rokr had an iPod similar interface (that was licensed from Apple). The Palm interface is nothing like it, and remains.
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I'm confident he knows exactly what I meant. I'm also confident he knows that Apple did not make, design, or otherwise direct the production of the Motorola ROKR. He knows that the ROKR is to the iPhone, what peanut butter is to diamonds.
    Actually, I don't know what you meant. What Palm did with the Pre is in no way similar to what was done on the Rokr. So what was your point in the comparison.

    The fact remains, Apple licensed their product for the device, and it was introduced at an Apple media event.

    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I suspect, though am not as confident, that he knows something went very wrong with the P2 launch, but does not want to lose face by admitting it. This is not about face, and it is most certainly not about Apple. When it comes to the Pre 2, HP blew it. There is just no other reasonable position to take. How their signals got crossed so badly is still an open question worthy of discussion, IMO.
    I don't know anything about a P2, but as far as the Pre 2 launch, I don't know if something went wrong or not, I don't know what HP's intention was. As far as "losing face", I've got nothing invested in it, so I've got nothing to be embarrassed about (though I woudn't mind having one on Sprint).

    I do know this though, they didn't hold a special media event to announce it with big fanfare. I'm amazed that you can sit here and type this type of drivel, that Apple somehow and nothing to do with the Rokr, thus it's failure had nothing to do with them, and wasn't part of an entry by Apple into the phone business, then drone on and on about how the Pre 2 launch was a "failure".

    Folks are asking for the Pre 2, I don't think anyone's asked about a Rockr in a long time.
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    We have to stop treating Palm as if it was a start-up. webOS is not new. webOS 2.0 is already in the wild. HP is the second largest PC maker in the world. They're no Apple, but they also have no excuses. How many chances does Palm get to launch the Pre for the first time?
    Actually HP is the world's largest PC manufacturer. Apple doesn't even come into the top three of PC manufactures unless you are comparing portable PC's (laptops, notebooks, netbooks), and at that, ONLY if you are counting iPads as portable PC's.
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by ansonamurray View Post
    Actually HP is the world's largest PC manufacturer. Apple doesn't even come into the top three of PC manufactures unless you are comparing portable PC's (laptops, notebooks, netbooks), and at that, ONLY if you are counting iPads as portable PC's.
    Now there you go, throwing facts into the mix.
  9.    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The fact remains, Apple licensed their product for the device...
    Full stop! See the difference? Apple partnering with Moto to supply the music component was equivalent to Good Year partnering with Ford to supply the tires. Apple was absolutely in the music distribution business, not the phone business. Netflix is not in the set-top box or TV business; they are in the media distribution business. GTV's failure is not Netflix's failure any more than the success of the TV's success is Netflix's success. Netflix has little to do with the complete product. It is a service component. Netflix, TV. Good Year, Ford. iTunes, ROKR. Got it?
  10. #110  
    I call time out.

    Go enjoy your new years.

    Come back Jan 2

    Have a safe and healthy new year all!
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Full stop! See the difference? Apple partnering with Moto to supply the music component was equivalent to Good Year partnering with Ford to supply the tires. Apple was absolutely in the music distribution business, not the phone business. Netflix is not in the set-top box or TV business; they are in the media distribution business. GTV's failure is not Netflix's failure any more than the success of the TV's success is Netflix's success. Netflix has little to do with the complete product. It is a service component. Netflix, TV. Good Year, Ford. iTunes, ROKR. Got it?
    The problem with your analogy - Jobs called the partnership with Motorola "an experiment".

    If Netflix teamed up with a phone company, that partnership failed, then Netflix offered their own phone a few months later, no one would deny that partnership was their "foray" into the phone business.

    No one except a Netflix fan, of course.
  12.    #112  
    Here we are with January about to fade into memory. Does anyone still think the P2 will see the light of day on Verizon? With so much talk of tablets, HP has almost succeeded in burying the memory of the P2. Did HP change their mind, or did Verizon sober up, or are they going to launch it anyway. How has no journalist put HP's feet to the fire on this one?
  13. reidme's Avatar
    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    #113  
    Feb 9th can't get here soon enough, if only to find out what the heck is going on. These months of silence from HP/Palm/Verizon are frustrating.
  14. #114  
    Maybe they're counting on everyone wanting to route their calls to their Topaz and Opal tablets....?
  15.    #115  
    I'm going to go out on the same limb I have been on since December. The P2, and by association, the entire Pre brand, is dead. No way V will sell it at this point no matter what they promised. There is also no way HP could be stupid enough to build their next generation of devices around the Pre. HP will announce something completely different. They want everyone to forget the Pre, Zeen, and Slate, for that matter. They will never mention these items again.
  16. #116  
    I think it's a waste to sell it on Verizon also. Look at the phones Verizon actively promotes. The Pre 2 would only be the redhead stepchild again. It's too obvious, Big Red wants powerful Androids, LTE, and iPhone. If they'd really wanted the Pre 2, they would have actively said something to get people excited! Instead they have people looking at Xoom, iPhone and LTE phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    Feb 9th can't get here soon enough, if only to find out what the heck is going on. These months of silence from HP/Palm/Verizon are frustrating.
    Sure would be something if after Feb. 9th there were still some unknowns.
    I'll need to turn my computer off for at least a week if that happens. This place will be humming for sure!!
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Here we are with January about to fade into memory. Does anyone still think the P2 will see the light of day on Verizon? With so much talk of tablets, HP has almost succeeded in burying the memory of the P2. Did HP change their mind, or did Verizon sober up, or are they going to launch it anyway. How has no journalist put HP's feet to the fire on this one?
    I hear you'll be able to preorder the Pre 2 from Verizon on 3 Feb and it will be in stores on 10 Feb. Oh wait - why do those dates sound familiar to me?


    ^
    |
    |
    please note the winking emoticon.
  19. #119  
    here's my theory.

    whatever palm's initial intentions, once hp took over, the pre 2's course changed. It has been re-directed as a developer device ( I got a developer email just today stating again the pre 2 is still available at a discount to devs). I bet whatever next gen smartphone hp comes out with, it will not come with a dev discount like the pre 2 currently.

    re: the cdma version (ie vzw), hp still lists the pre 2 as coming soon to
    verizon wireless, and hardbeatz said as such in another post. However, like many of you, I agree that releasing the pre 2 on vzw on it's own merits, against some heavy android competition, the behemoth that is the iphone, and the stubborn blackberry crowd, though it would make many a pre and pre plus user happy, would be a sales failure.

    but, given the reported leaks of the features of future hp tablets and the potential to seamlessly transfer info from one webos device to another, my theory is that the topaz, or whatever tablet hp may be releasing "in the first quarter of 2011" will be sold as with a "free" pre 2 smartphone. Vzw will sell the tablet with a data plan, throw in the pre 2 free along with a tethering plan (doubt with free mobile hotspot but would be great), and this way hp can showcase the potential of webOS devices demonstrating their interconnectivity. This will be exclusive to vzw.

    as for other carriers, they likely would get whatever next smartphone hp is readying to release (perhaps the pixi 2
    or a slab phone?), but not likely bundled with the tab.

    again, this is just a theory, faulty as it may be...
  20. #120  
    agree about the non sense that the pre 2 is a devloper device. strictly bs. seems to be an excuse we use here for a disappointing expectations.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions