Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    what went wrong with the Pre2 launch?

Nothing. .... it just hasn't happened yet.

See all you "crow" eaters in January. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    That's the thing, though. Why is Random Sprint Rep more credible when he's saying something you want to hear?
    Because, we've now got further information that seems to confirm what was said then.

In that thread, I didn't particularly believe or disbelieve the comment, but I found it of interest. As I stated in that thread, my experience in the IT retail business was that often reps would tell us things like that, and it more often than not had a basis in truth.

I notice that you were pretty adamant that it there would be no reason for it to be so, and just as adamant about debunking now, when it does appear to have some truth to it.

So I have to wonder, why the dermination that it must not be true?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I wish you would. I actually stick to the correct threads to have these discussions, I do not ask people to leave the boards simply because they use a different device, and I don't beat you about the head about being pro-Palm and it discrediting what you say, while you do never stop harping on the supposed reverse regarding me.

Also....what say you about the Motorola Devour? You brought it into this discussion as a counterpoint. Now, you're quiet. Odd...
    the devour is just one of the great android successes. megan fox sold quite a bit of those devices right? oh wait....released as a way to introduce blur? like pre 2 released to introduce 2.0?
    i will be as pro palm as you will be anti palm. i own an ipod touch and have a droid 2 at home, along with countless windows mobile and palm OS devices, like yourself and others on precentral. webOS rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I notice that you were pretty adamant that it there would be no reason for it to be so, and just as adamant about debunking now, when it does appear to have some truth to it.

So I have to wonder, why the dermination that it must not be true?
    Well, you know...blind squirrels and nuts. In a section where people make up random rumors with alarming frequency, even a "leak" from Nitoxy's "source" is bound to come true at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    the devour is just one of the great android successes. megan fox sold quite a bit of those devices right? oh wait....released as a way to introduce blur? like pre 2 released to introduce 2.0?
    I have no idea what the sales of the Devour are, and that wasn't your point to begin with (nice try, tho). You said:

how strongly did motorola advertise the devour when they released it on verizon? they already had the droid and droid eris and were about to launch the incredible. so why release the devour? probably because motorola had already committed to the device and verizon agreed to carry it.
    This was demonstrably false, and rather than acknowledge that, you choose to equate it with Palm releasing the Pre 2 to introduce WebOS 2.0.

Except....

1) There are no HP Palm TV ads for that device
    2) There are no US carriers carrying it 60+ days after release. The Devour was sold by Verizon on day one of release.

Again, very sketchy reasoning on your part, sir. Doesn't even withstand cursory examination.
    @cantaffordit,

mikah and the other detractors here can only focus on what hp and palm are doing and have done wrong. as if the rest of us dont know this already.

maybe we should direct them to precentral's front page or engadget where positive news is leaking out left and right.

lets see where the negative bottles spin now...

meanwhile, is the droid eris getting an android update anytime soon? poor original, dated, 18 month old sprint palm pre...getting the newest version of webOS 2.0? really?
    Actually, I'd love to see HP embrace the past problems with the Pre. The fact that battle has not gone well for them in no secret. Everyone pulls for an underdog, (except the 'front-running bandwagon jumpers')

The issues with the Pre 2 'launch' will be non-issues when something better comes out. Just like no body is talking about the failures of the 1st Google phone, or the Kin:

Reasons not to sweat the Pre 2:

1) it was obviously in the pipeline well before HP jumped into the picture. (It has Rubinstein and the Apple-like release schedule/incremental upgrade written all over it.)

2) Sometimes it easier and cheaper to let something languish than to actively kill it. (Seriously folks, how much are they being hurt by "if or not" the Pre 2 is released... even the haters know that they are certainly not selling LESS because of this )

They could have gotten a ton more mileage if they did a General Motors type ad showing them "picking themselves off the canvas" after being knocked down.

The next week, offer to exchange the Pre' 2 units for next to nothing for anyone with a currently active contract on a Pre on any carrrier.

They would need to work out the logistics with carriers, but it was contingent on a slight extension of the contract and most of the heavy lifting was carried by HP, the carriers would gladly embrace the deal.

Sprint users would be doing back flips. The tech press coverage would be enormous, well in excess of any advertising thy could buy, and they would CLEARLY distinguish themselves from Apple and Android who are known for occasionally leaving their customers in the cold.

(And how many of those Pre 2's does HP think they are going to sell, obviously not many which is why there has been no big push... and no, it's NOT meant to be a developer's phone)

Then just a few weeks before they drop the hammer on new product, run a coming soon, 'the best is yet to come', 'we're BAAAAAACCCK' type of ad with just glimpses of the new stuff.

There is still a lot of goodwill out there toward the product, it's just not be capitalized on effectively, at least not yet.

C
    you have obviously given it ample examination then.

wanna go back to original thread title? What will you call the launch when the pre 2 is released on vzw?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Well, you know...blind squirrels and nuts. In a section where people make up random rumors with alarming frequency, even a "leak" from Nitoxy's "source" is bound to come true at some point.
    Interestingly, I see more "made up" stuff attempting to debunk the "rumors" than I do actual rumors. The Need for Speed thread comes to mind where some asserted that that the Pre wasn't capable, and one guy said he could even prove the photos were 'shopped. Even the thread we're discussing had someone on there implying there would be no reason for a rep to reveal such information; when in fact, many of us that have been in the business have had the same experience.... oh wait, you knew about that, since you were the one making the implication.

Seriously, I always find it fun when naysayers insist that something isn't/can't be/never will be true, then little by little we begin to find out that maybe it is/was/can be true.

I guess it's that rooting for the underdog thing. Ironic that folks that spread good news about Palm devices on a Palm forum have become the underdogs, but that's what some folks have turned this into.
    i will be as pro palm as you will be anti palm. i own an ipod touch and have a droid 2 at home, along with countless windows mobile and palm OS devices, like yourself and others on precentral. webOS rocks.
    I don't think he is anti-palm.

wanna go back to original thread title? What will you call the launch when the pre 2 is released on vzw?
    If it's anything like the Pre Plus release on Verizon, I'll do my best to forget it ever happened. But by all means....let's ignore the present in favor of future hopes.
  11.    #91  

A failure! You see, the Pre 2 has already been released. It is not a new product. It is already out there. It is just late to the biggest market that might give a darn about it.

We have to stop treating Palm as if it was a start-up. webOS is not new. webOS 2.0 is already in the wild. HP is the second largest PC maker in the world. They're no Apple, but they also have no excuses. How many chances does Palm get to launch the Pre for the first time?

I'm not saying that Palm is dead. That would be silly. They are at least thrice dead. But the spirit of Palm will live on at HP for a while. The Pre, on the other hand, does seem to be dead. They can't seem to get it launched in any incarnation. Whatever they announce at CES, it better not have the word, "Pre" in it.
    the pre is dead to some,alive for others.

click, love the sound of my pre plus sliding shut.
    I have to agree that I hope the retire the name "Pre". But I can see why they used it on the Pre2. It's too close the other versions to be called anything else.

*extra points awarded if you remember the meaning behind the Pre name.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I have to agree that I hope the retire the name "Pre". But I can see why they used it on the Pre2. It's too close the other versions to be called anything else.

*extra points awarded if you remember the meaning behind the Pre name.
    As long as they don't "retire" the form-factor. I love the Pre's design. Don't care what they call it, it's a perfect size, it'll look great next to my palmPad! ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    As long as they don't "retire" the form-factor. I love the Pre's design. Don't care what they call it, it's a perfect size, it'll look great next to my palmPad! ;-)
    +1

...but maybe a 6/10ths of an inch larger
  16.    #96  
    Everyday that passes seems to bolster the idea that something went horribly wrong with the P2 launch. Here are a couple of threads that have surfaced recently.

Hunting for Pre 2 in Toronto

New Device

Here is a snippet of the rumor in that thread:

so we were talking and she said that the pre 2 will be on verizon late january or early feb. and its by order only. you cannot play with it in the store if you want it launch day you have to go in, place the order and wait until it gets in.
    Then there's this from the front page of PC:

It's been nearly two and a half months since the Pre 2 was announced, so it's not crazy to wonder what the hold up is ....and whether releasing the Pre 2 on Verizon even make sense given what we hope is an aggressive 2011 phone roadmap.
    Is there anyone still trying to defend the P2 release strategy?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Everyday that passes seems to bolster the idea that something went horribly wrong with the P2 launch.............

Is there anyone still trying to defend the P2 release strategy?

yea i will step up to the plate and defend it!

Every day that passes dosent bolster crap!!

the pre 2 release is kind of like a getting your feet wet type of deal...palm + hp + the various carriers are all getting to know one another and how they operate...they are building those corporate relationships and synergies and this takes time...these sorts of issues are commonplace in any huge corporate merger... you cant just merge two different organizations with all the various motivations, and politics, instantly...and expecting HP, Palm and the various carriers to spit out amazing and awesome devices in a months time without a hiccup or two, well thats simply unreasonable, unrealistic, and bordering on crazy talk.

You can compare this transition period to when Apple first began to get into the telecommunications industry....Remember the Motorola Rokr??...the first phone with Apple Itunes released on ATT??

Motorola - MotoROKR with iTunes®

Now that phone was total garbage!!...I remember going to ATT store to check it out and i almost died laughing at that joke of a device!!....The Motorola Rokr was a total and abject fail!!...Most people never would have imagined that a cupla years later from that humble start we would have the iphone...but what that phone did is allow the companies involved to learn how the others operate and build a foundation for what was to come...

Now it seems that you want HP and Palm to go all out on this Pre 2 release...you want commercials, posters, displays, billboard, and internet ads everywhere and for HP and Palm to treat the Pre 2 like their ultimate 'hero' device....well its not.....

Apple and ATT did not go all out on the Rokr...they knew that it would be a process...and when they had more and better to offer then they could unleash the marketing dragon....

dont worry HP and Palm will make their splash when they are ready...dude, ur being shortsighted here...relax, 2011 is here and palm is not dead...CES is only a week away....and the coming months will arrive at some point so there is no need to rush it....
  18.    #98  
    dj, I'm going to throw a few points your way just for stepping up to the plate and making it interesting. But I'm afraid I'm going to have to take them right back because of your suggestion that the Rokr was the predecessor to the iPhone.

the pre 2 release is kind of like a getting your feet wet type of deal...palm + hp + the various carriers are all getting to know one another and how they operate...they are building those corporate relationships and synergies and this takes time...
    Which of these two companies should we treat like a startup, HP, or Palm? I seem to recall the community celebrating the fact that HP was a company that had its stuff together with scale and reach and leverage and respect and, and, and... This isn't exactly HP's first time to the dance, nor Palm's. People around here seem to think that the P2 was already a near finished product at the time of the merger. Getting it out the door should have been relatively easy for such a well-oiled machine as HP with so much clout in the industry.

these sorts of issues are commonplace in any huge corporate merger... you cant just merge two different organizations with all the various motivations, and politics, instantly...and expecting HP, Palm and the various carriers to spit out amazing and awesome devices in a months time without a hiccup or two, well thats simply unreasonable, unrealistic, and bordering on crazy talk.
    I don't think the sorts of issues with the P2 launch are common place in any context. As for the carriers, they already had a relationship with Palm. HP should have made those relationships stronger, not weaker. What you call a hiccup or two, I call a cluster f of the third kind.

Now it seems that you want HP and Palm to go all out on this Pre 2 release...you want commercials, posters, displays, billboard, and internet ads everywhere and for HP and Palm to treat the Pre 2 like their ultimate 'hero' device....well its not.....
    Actually, I would settle for HP to stop pretending that the P2 never happened.

You can compare this transition period to when Apple first began to get into the telecommunications industry....Remember the Motorola Rokr??...the first phone with Apple Itunes released on ATT??
    No, you can't. At that time, Apple didn't make a phone, nor did they make a phone OS. They simply allowed a phone manufacturer to include the iTunes service on one of their devices. You know, kind of like Palm tried to do without permission. By the way, the Rokr, as horrible as it was, had a much better launch.

When Apple finally released the iPhone, you know, the phone they actually did make, the world shook, and hasn't stopped shaking. That actually was their first foray into the phone business. That cannot be said of Palm or HP. They are like the old ladies at the dance with too much makeup and plastic surgery, trying to pretend they are still young and inexperienced. There is no comparison to Apple and the iPhone. If I were you, I wouldn't even bring that up.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I see an Apple ad on the TV every single day. I remember back when the Pre Plus was new, I might have seen an ad for it once or twice.

HP needs to pull an Apple marketing-wise if they want any remote success.

The Pre 2's hardware is solid. It just needs competitive pricing.
    $50 or $100 on a two year contract, then release something that's better than the iPhone hardware-wise as a top notch $200 w/ contract device.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    ...No, you can't. At that time, Apple didn't make a phone, nor did they make a phone OS. They simply allowed a phone manufacturer to include the iTunes service on one of their devices. You know, kind of like Palm tried to do without permission. By the way, the Rokr, as horrible as it was, had a much better launch.
    Absolute BS. Palm never had iTunes service on one of their devices. Another one of the made up "facts" that fans of other devices tends to throw around here.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast