Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 144
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    LOL! Yeah, Sprint never officially said no to the Pre Plus. It's certainly possible that they might release it early next year.
    God I hope not! We need a phone that can compare to the current phones from other manufacturers...
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    LOL! Yeah, Sprint never officially said no to the Pre Plus. It's certainly possible that they might release it early next year.
    LOL that would be funny if it didn't sound so much like "in the coming months".



    But on a serious note, I doubt Palm ever intended the Plus for Sprint. Sprint's history is trying to be the first to launch next-gen stuff (although that's getting harder to do).

    my bet is that the Pre2 was headed for Sprint in Q1, but it took so long for the Plus phones to launch on the other carriers, and the Pre2 was so far behind schedule, that it didn't make sense for sprint to want it since they had hot new 4g stuff coming in Q2 (like the EVO).

    the conventional wisdom has been that sprint declined the Pre2, and I have no problem believing that based on what I just said. What I haven't bought is the notion that Palm and Sprint have divorced. Of course, if palm ships another phone that has to be replaced by the user every few months... That would be grounds for at least a trial separattion.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    the point is, you missed the theme of my posts.

    Neither HP nor Palm have in any shape or form said anything about the pre 2's release other than when they made the press announcement. they arent out there advertising it, and JR hasnt shown it off to the public. Do you think this is how HP would advertise something if they felt it was an important part of their product lineup, or do you think the Pre 2 was a device in the works already and HP decided to release it for the purposes of showcasing webOS 2.0 on a newer device? I think its the latter.
    Why would HP release any device commercially that isn't "an important part of their product lineup"? They do have support it, warranty it, and stand behind the impressions it makes on customers. If it's merely to "showcase" WebOS 2.0, you would think that the reviews of WebOS 2.0 - from the few websites that bothered this time around - would then be on production hardware instead of pre-production hardware that they had to make a caveat for when reviewing the OS. In fact, since it was on pre-production hardware...why release it for sale after the reviews went through?

    Google was pretty adamant when saying that they weren't going to sell that Chrome OS netbook hardware and that it was a reference design. Clearly they put money into manufacturing the amount of those netbooks they did, but they're not trying to bamboozle folks into buying them. That is how a company treats hardware that is strictly for showcasing software. Or the Samsung Omnia II mods that Microsoft used to showcase WP7 initially. Never went for sale.

    Throw your marketing logic out the window. This is a device that was in the works before HP got involved, and it was released by HP knowing that it wasnt gonna be the last palm device ever to come to the market. They wanted to release it because it was far along in its production. The fact that Verizon, for whatever reason, chose to pick it up, should speak volumes as to their perception that HP is an important player in their business.
    Like Microsoft was when they chose to pick up the Kin or like Blackberry was when the Storm 2 got treated like a redheaded stepchild? How did Verizon perceive Palm when they "picked up" the Pre Plus?

    Verizon is delaying the launch on their network, so people consider this a launch failure. verizon has done this with palm devices before- they released the treo 755p and centro later than everyone else, they ditched the 800w at the last minute, and are now only carrying the treo pro after they bought out Alltell. how strongly did motorola advertise the devour when they released it on verizon? they already had the droid and droid eris and were about to launch the incredible. so why release the devour? probably because motorola had already committed to the device and verizon agreed to carry it.
    .

    Good point.

    the problem i see here is that people think the pre 2 is the ONLY device HP is ever gonna release. if you see the pre 2 as just one of many devices, devices that will be more competitively spec'd with some of the big players, then you can see the glass half full rather than empty all the time.
    Like I said elsewhere today...that would be easy to do if HP positioned it as such. It's not positioned as anything. They're not talking about it, US carriers aren't carrying it, and stores that offer unlocked devices aren't selling it either. It's a ghost.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    LOL! Yeah, Sprint never officially said no to the Pre Plus. It's certainly possible that they might release it early next year.
    Or, a new Palm tablet, and new Palm phones instead.
  5. #65  
    @mikah, I think they WILL position it once they have a family of devices to fit amongst. Until then, they couldn't call it a next-gen superphone and they certainly would have looked bad putting launch muscle behind "the most innovative last-gen smartphone"...

    I think the Pre2 has a place, I keep saying it would be perfect for my wife. But even if it's DOA, selling the Pre2 somewhere sure beats dumping them on woot.com

    I think they had enough invested that they are making lemonaide, and using that to make a spot for the Pre2 within a broader line up. Next december we will all look back and see clearly what they did right or wrong.
  6. #66  
    @cantaffordit,

    mikah and the other detractors here can only focus on what hp and palm are doing and have done wrong. as if the rest of us dont know this already.

    maybe we should direct them to precentral's front page or engadget where positive news is leaking out left and right.

    lets see where the negative bottles spin now...

    meanwhile, is the droid eris getting an android update anytime soon? poor original, dated, 18 month old sprint palm pre...getting the newest version of webOS 2.0? really?
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Sure, they just haven't had slept together since the launch of the Pixi.
    From the FoxNews announcement, and the speculation on the thread here on P|C, http://forums.precentral.net/future-...r-january.html , looks like they've been together on the sly for a while now. Just because they didn't invite you for a menega-a-tois doesn't mean it hasn't been happening...
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Sure, they just haven't had slept together since the launch of the Pixi.
    well, anyone that has ever been married understands that this is often standard operating procedure for most couples.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    @mikah, I think they WILL position it once they have a family of devices to fit amongst. Until then, they couldn't call it a next-gen superphone and they certainly would have looked bad putting launch muscle behind "the most innovative last-gen smartphone"...

    I think the Pre2 has a place, I keep saying it would be perfect for my wife. But even if it's DOA, selling the Pre2 somewhere sure beats dumping them on woot.com

    I think they had enough invested that they are making lemonaide, and using that to make a spot for the Pre2 within a broader line up. Next december we will all look back and see clearly what they did right or wrong.
    The thing is...we can see what's going wrong with the Palm Pre 2 right now. It's not like if HP invents a miracle way for this to become a big seller at some US carriers months from now that this fumbling soft launch is going to be validated. That just means they left more 2010 holiday season money on the table with a viable device.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    From the FoxNews announcement, and the speculation on the thread here on P|C, http://forums.precentral.net/future-...r-january.html , looks like they've been together on the sly for a while now. Just because they didn't invite you for a menega-a-tois doesn't mean it hasn't been happening...
    Oh. We're going on "partially-debunked" rumors and random forum threads now.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Oh. We're going on "partially-debunked" rumors and random forum threads now.
    Hardly random - The news quoted in the thread was what was leaked today. What was "debunked" about the news from FoxNews?
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    The thing is...we can see what's going wrong with the Palm Pre 2 right now. It's not like if HP invents a miracle way for this to become a big seller at some US carriers months from now that this fumbling soft launch is going to be validated. That just means they left more 2010 holiday season money on the table with a viable device.
    I agree. This wasn't plan A or B. I just think if the Pre2 stayed in the warehouse until the new hotness is announced, they would have to sell them on woot.com as an iPod with a keyboard. I wish they had built a bunch for sprint and sent them out to every pre(-) owner that needed to replace their device. That would have scored some big points!
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    @cantaffordit,

    mikah and the other detractors here can only focus on what hp and palm are doing and have done wrong. as if the rest of us dont know this already.

    maybe we should direct them to precentral's front page or engadget where positive news is leaking out left and right.
    This sounds suspiciously like rappers no one has ever heard of taking shots at "haters" on the debut single.

    As far as the front page news, that doesn't really have anything to do with the subject of this thread. I commented in threads relevant to that subject matter, so perhaps you should save your rebuttal for the appropriate place? You know, kinda like how this is the proper thread to "focus on what hp and palm are doing and have done wrong"?

    Why so intent on trolling and derailing?
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Hardly random - The news quoted in the thread was what was leaked today. What was "debunked" about the news from FoxNews?
    Look at the front page of P|C. Why embrace these sets of rumors while shooting down others?

    FWIW, I'm pretty sure many of the details of the PalmPad are true and there's a reason why Fox News (or more specifically, Clayton Morris) got the scoop.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Look at the front page of P|C. Why embrace these sets of rumors while shooting down others?

    FWIW, I'm pretty sure many of the details of the PalmPad are true and there's a reason why Fox News (or more specifically, Clayton Morris) got the scoop.
    I don't give a rip about the sketches of the device, it's the details about different models that are of interest to me. That, along with the fact that someone at Sprint had already alluded to it before the more recent leak gives it credence.

    As far as "embracing", nah, not really, at least, not on my part. It looks to be true, but there's a reason I said "looks like" in my post, and referenced the sources.

    I know, I know, the "Palm is dead/dying" is a lot more fun for some to pretend is factual, but it looks like some of you may be getting a helping of crow pretty soon.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

    Why so intent on trolling and derailing?
    following your lead...
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That, along with the fact that someone at Sprint had already alluded to it before the more recent leak gives it credence.
    That's the thing, though. Why is Random Sprint Rep more credible when he's saying something you want to hear?
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    This sounds suspiciously like rappers no one has ever heard of taking shots at "haters" on the debut single.

    As far as the front page news, that doesn't really have anything to do with the subject of this thread. I commented in threads relevant to that subject matter, so perhaps you should save your rebuttal for the appropriate place? You know, kinda like how this is the proper thread to "focus on what hp and palm are doing and have done wrong"?

    Why so intent on trolling and derailing?
    Actually, within the context of what he was saying, the front page news does fit. His point was/is that HP may have decided to release the Pre 2 because it fits as a mid-tier device in their overall scheme of things. They may further have decided to release it when they did, because it was ready, available, and the French carrier was ready to carry it.
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    following your lead...
    I wish you would. I actually stick to the correct threads to have these discussions, I do not ask people to leave the boards simply because they use a different device, and I don't beat you about the head about being pro-Palm and it discrediting what you say, while you do never stop harping on the supposed reverse regarding me.

    Also....what say you about the Motorola Devour? You brought it into this discussion as a counterpoint. Now, you're quiet. Odd...
  20. #80  
    please keep posts focused on smartphones and technology, and not about other people.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions