1.    #1  
    I know it is possible on the 9290 communicator and the sony ericson p800 (quicktime6) but is there some way to play video clips on the treo 270? It is my dream to figure out a way to play a short clip of my top client testimonials on my phone during one on one meetings...

Ideawizard
    The absolute best IMHO is the new player and encoder from the inventor/developer of QuickTime called Kinoma. Kinoma player and producer

There is software to play videos with sound. The sound comes from the piezo speaker and is scratchy but it is quite acceptable. The site has several examples to download from Sony Pictures website. I suspect the product was created at the request of Sony for the Clie range.

There are several other products that I have tried including TealMovie and gMovie. These are pretty good but I was most impressed with the compression and playback quality of Kinoma. The ease of creation cannot be beaten either - drag and drop into the producer window from files captured from your video camera.
    Last edited by Poryphyron; 09/16/2002 at 08:34 PM.
  3.    #4  
    thanks! This is great information! Maybe I wont have to trade that treo in for the p800 just yet...

Ideawizard
  4.    #5  
    If you have quicktime 6 pro with Jaquar 10.2 for mac can you convert an Imovie dv video file to palm os for the treo 270 for playing or do you need Kinoma Player and producer as well?

Also what are the exact steps if you have a movie in Imovie DV to get it on your treo 270? I'm new at this...

Ideawizard
    "Kinoma Producer is incredibly easy to use, with presets that help you get the best results for every supported handheld. Kinoma Producer can encode from a wide range of source file formats including QuickTime, MPEG-1, MPEG-4, AVI, MP3, Macromedia Flash, JPEG, Animated GIF and PNG."

You just save the DV movie in a format like QuickTime. Then open Kinoma Producer and drag the file into its window. It will encode the file for upload the next time you HotSync. It is that simple. You can probably do some optimizing though within iMovie to make the aspect ratio better fit the 160x160 resolution unless you dont mind a bit of 'post-boxing'.
    Poryphyron,

I've bought downloaded the Kinoma and I was wondering is there anyway to watch a full blown movie with Kinoma. If so what all would I need. If not this is still a great app.
    May the lord bless you and Heaven smile upon you.
    Check out this site also for great discussions on all pdaphones.
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    Thanks for pointing us to this program. It works great. Too the bad the speaker sucks on the Treo. Which begs the question, can sound be rerouted to the speakerphone speaker or to the handfree headphone?

This would provide a lot better sound (at least you can hear the movie trailers). I don't know. Just an idea I thought I should throw out. If anyone figures this out, that'd be cool. Who knows, maybe I should send Kinoma an email and see what they can do with it.
  8.    #9  
    bought kinoma player and producer. downloaded imovie dv file converted to quicktime.mov , producer converted nicely, however video quality sucks and audio is impossible to make out the words. useless at this quality.

1) is there a way to format for better video for the treo?
    2) is there anyway to at least hear the words on a video on a treo 270?

PS. the p800 release has been delayed...so the treo 270 looks like the top of the line for now...

Anyideas on how to get this to work better out there?

Ideawizard
    I emailed Kinamo about the sound quality and this is what they said.

Thank you for the flattering comment! It's nice hear that people enjoy
    >the product.
    >
    >We're currently investigating what appears to be the same issue on
    >specific Palm-branded hardware. The audio plays back, but it's very
    >scratchy and low quality. We are working towards a fix for this and
    >will ship an updated Player which includes this fix.
    >
    >Please note that Kinoma Player doesn't leverage the telephone side of
    >the device for audio playback. So the audio quality won't be nearly
    the
    >quality you experience via the headset.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >- Kinoma Support

Even though the sound isn't up to snuff, I still think it's the best movie player so far. The only problem is a one minute movie trailer is 2mb of memory. Well if you wanted to watch a full movie you would need 500 plus mb of memory. Won't happen on any palm pilot ecept if you could insert a expandable card into it. It should be possible to rig the hardware aspect of the problem. The pc hotsync cable connects with the pc via a usb connector. There are a lot of inexpensive usb compatible flash card (and probably SD card) reader/writers. If there was a way to connect the male usb connect to the palm and the other to the flash card it could be worked out, then the remaining issue would be the software on the pda that would read/write to the expansion card. Once this is all accomplished, then the device could be scaled down so that a long cable would no longer be necessary.

Just a thought since its the memory that is needed. Probably you would have to connect a 256 mb card or more to view a movie. What I would like is for someone to already download movies onto cards you could buy at Blockbuster for example. It would be like buying a movie on DVD expect on an expansion slot card for your palm. Nothing to big just something simple. And if it wasn't too difficult you could put two or three movies on one card. It would be like buying a VHS tape and connecting it to a cable that connects to your palm. Go to your software to read the card and then go to the Kinamo player and watch your movies. What do you think? Anyway sometime soon the problem should be fix regarding the sound quality of the movie player. Lets hope!!
    www.pdaphonehome.com
    I've found that the audio in TealMovie is better than Kinoma, but unfortunately they don't have a Mac-compatible movie-making utility, so all I could do was install a few of their free sample movies. They do offer a bare-bones util for Macs, but when run it tells me I need System 7.6 or higher. Needless to say, I'm running a later OS version than that (9.2.2) but it can't detect that, so I'm SOL.
  11.    #12  
    So there you have it. what about the fireviewr? anyone try that and is it Mac compatable...

Also, what is the email of the kinoma developers so we can all send them a message that we want that audio fix. If they hear from more of us they will move faster...

Any other thoughts? I want to play client testimonial videos that you can hear on my treo!

Ideawizard
    Here's the email for Kinoma. support@kinoma.com
    www.pdaphonehome.com
  13.    #14  
    did it.. got the same stock anwer form kinoma...we may look into a new patch somday....

Goal: To convert and play Mac dv video clips on the treo 270 and be able to hear the words in the video. As in client testimonials.

Current Research: (feel free to update)
    3 main programs for Video

1) Teal Movie-has no mac capability unless you know how to convert with quicktime authoring- if that.
    2) Kinoma-words in video are completly unintelligible no full screen capability.
    3) Fireviwer-windows only

Possible Solutions or next steps????:

All constructive comments welcome

Ideawizard