Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    So why do we get leaks of all these android phones before they are officially announced but no webos phone? Engadget has already and/or will showcase(d) some hot new android phones that will be officially unveiled at CES, but we get nothing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thead View Post
    So why do we get leaks of all these android phones before they are officially announced but no webos phone? Engadget has already and/or will showcase(d) some hot new android phones that will be officially unveiled at CES, but we get nothing?
    Because Android manufacturers have no message discipline whatsoever.

LG is one of the worst in this regard. It took them three days, with numerous conflicting reports and official statements, before they had their story straight with the Android 2.3 upgrade for their Optimus line of phones.

They'll basically talk about anything, no matter where it stands in the overall process.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Me too, BUT, do you really think HP has anything remotely like that? Or is it going to be so-so hardware?
    If HP is serious about their mobile strategy they will. If they don't really care about the 1.2 billion dollars they spent for Palm.

Because it is actually a good thing and builds hype with Android devices. You don't get much leaks about Google's Honeycomb features, and same with iOS 5.0 and iPhone 5. Thats because allowing us know what they are doing will also give a company more able to do what your doing faster or just as fast as you -- which means any revolutionary design or feature will no longer be revolutionary. So with this device being leaked, does that mean LG lost some revolutionary feature? Nope, other phones just like that one are coming out soon and will be officially announced probably during CES 2011 like this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicekyo View Post
    Maybe we should stay grounded for our expectations... no? I think Palm Pad will be a showcase, but along with Pixi2 + pre2, I doubt hpalm has enough bandwidth to support more than three devices. Regardless, it should be an exciting year for the entire smart phone community with so much competition.

But hey, Palm surprised everyone two years ago, maybe the third time is the charm.
    Didn't HPalm already say that they have something like 8 new devices being released next year? I thought I heard that here at P|C.
    Forget thinnest... have some major battery longevity!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    by 2012 ghz won't matter anymore.

it will be software that drives phones.
    Battery life and hardware accelerated graphics. Those are the two keys.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
    If you're an android handset maker you have to do these controlled leaks bc there are several android handsets that come out per week. If you don't leak sneak peaks of your upcoming android handset it will get lost among the weekly android releases.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    most of the devices are very similar.. And really have no secrets or are anything special so really there would be no reason not to leak along with what the poster below said.

palm on the other hand has had failing hardware that has plagued them. They're also very innovative and probably do have something special coming so why would they want their competition knowing ahead of time what's up as it will hurt their chances.

the goal and challenge will be getting the device to market in a good time frame.. Which they'll be able to now since its hp with their resources.. Not like when pam announced then released the pre 6 mo later due to them being a really small company

Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    If you're an android handset maker you have to do these controlled leaks bc there are several android handsets that come out per week. If you don't leak sneak peaks of your upcoming android handset it will get lost among the weekly android releases.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I think Hp has something big thats gonna hit, and if they were to release anything about what may be coming out in leaks then other companies would be able to easily take some of their innovative designs, or software tweaks. If your the first come out with something your innovative, and being chased. If your the first to announce something, and second to release it then your the one who is doing the chasing.
    GO BRONCOS!!!!

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    Give me a NEXUS S with webos and i am happy.
    I couldn't wait any longer for the "Palm Super Device"... and picked up a Nexus S yesterday. Very very happy with it... but man webOS on this hardware would be a joy to use. That said, Palm needs to really blow it out at CES or they will continue to be a device maker for a niche market.
    Last edited by xHunt3r; 12/20/2010 at 10:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    I miss my Razr (not really) but at least I could record phone calls.....
    ...and make voice activated calls
  12.    #32  
    Because only one company makes both the WebOS software and hardware: HP. With Android, Google makes the OS and about 20 companies make the devices, so it's hard to keep every one of those under wraps especially since they're all trying to one up each other.
    No keyboard?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12