Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    I heard the "PalmPad" was 4G and coming to sprint but I could be wrong.
    I am usually a big Sprint supporter, but seriously where on earth is sprint. It looks like to me that the focus of CES 2011 seems to be 4G devices, and android tablets. And the supposed leader of 4g is no where in sight.

Verizon and ATT, have announced a lot of really nice "4g" devices, ecspecially those by motorola; and Sprint gives us what, the Evo Shift. Come on the evo was cool back in june when it was unique, but now its just another big screen android device with a 4g (and not even a nice lookin one compared to the new ones)

This looks like some very big problems for sprint ahead, First of all its 4g network operated in the 2.4ghz range whereas verzion and att will be operating in the 700 mhz range. (only sprint has goin for it is 800mhz that iden is on which will be shutdown in a few years), and it seems that wimax is not getting enough backing like LTE is from manufactures. Sprint needs to go the LTE route asap.

On another note, Motorola is reallly impressing me. from their intial droid campaign and making excellent devices (droid2, droidpro, droidx), to all their new android smartphone devices and tablets. This is really exciting because I was really rooting for moto for the past couple years, since most analysts and experts presumed their mobile business was a disaster, and they havent come out with a hit device since the Razr. And it seems odd that motorola has not announced any devices for sprint.

So what do you guys think about Sprint, ces2011, and motorolas resurgence.
    Maybe its not their turn yet :P
    If I remember correctly, Sprint typically announces more devices at MWC/CTIA than at CES. They have the Blackberry Playbook coming with 4G by summer, and have confirmed more EVO 4G brand products are on the way beyond the Shift and the Evo. Notice that HTC has not shown a tablet yet...
    I watching T-mobiles 4G announcement..that some serious sh!t. Check it out:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....-2011-0508.jpg

WiMax is way down....wth what u got Sprint.
    These are all theoretical max speeds. In real world usage, neither Sprint WiMax nor T-Mobile's whatever-they-are-calling-4G-now is THAT fast, but both are noticeably faster than their 3G services.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    I watching T-mobiles 4G announcement..that some serious sh!t. Check it out:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....-2011-0508.jpg

WiMax is way down....wth what u got Sprint.
    Sprint needs to seriously reevaluate its 4g strategy and stop talking about being first in 4g, no one give a **** that you are first.

1st...sprint had almost a 3 year head start in 4g, and the previous rate of deploying 4g markets needs to change. ( or they will soon have the smallest 4g network)

2nd...sprint needs to figure out their situation with clearwire, and cannot have its 4g future dependent of clearwire (even though they own a majority)

3rd...sprint needs to figure out what they are goin to do with 4g spectrum they are operating @ 2.4ghz while att and verizon lte will operate at 700mhz.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    These are all theoretical max speeds. In real world usage, neither Sprint WiMax nor T-Mobile's whatever-they-are-calling-4G-now is THAT fast, but both are noticeably faster than their 3G services.
    The slide says "Tested in Las Vegas"....

42mbps is a theoretical peak, T-Mobile's claiming the demo today was about 28-29mbps.
    Last edited by darkzone; 01/06/2011 at 02:05 PM.
    While I think going with Clear/WiMax was ultimately a mistake - like Nextel - they must now play with the hand of cards they have. Sprint 4G is available in many markets where their competition is not, and it will be that way in for several more months. Additionally, the speed advantages of the competition haven't been made clear in real world usage.

Finally, the T-Mobile event shouldn't really have them worried. If T-Mobile's tablet lineup consist of a 7-inch Dell running Froyo and "the G Slate" from LG, they are going to be the worst-off player among the big 4 BY FAR. Get that HTC Tablet, the WebOS tablet, and the Playbook with two or more running 4G and you are well-positioned and differentiated against Verizon and AT&T offerings.

Also, the Evo brand has far more cache and quality associated with it than T-Mobile's MyTouch brand as far as handsets go.
    While I think going with Clear/WiMax was ultimately a mistake - like Nextel - they must now play with the hand of cards they have. Sprint 4G is available in many markets where their competition is not, and it will be that way in for several more months. Additionally, the speed advantages of the competition haven't been made clear in real world usage.

Finally, the T-Mobile event shouldn't really have them worried. If T-Mobile's tablet lineup consist of a 7-inch Dell running Froyo and "the G Slate" from LG, they are going to be the worst-off player among the big 4 BY FAR. Get that HTC Tablet, the WebOS tablet, and the Playbook with two or more running 4G and you are well-positioned and differentiated against Verizon and AT&T offerings.

Also, the Evo brand has far more cache and quality associated with it than T-Mobile's MyTouch brand as far as handsets go.
    Honestly I didnt look much into t-mobile announcements, mainly att and verizon. And i was mostly focused on phones rather than tablets, because i was hoping tablets would be available on all carriers-no exclusivity-(but i guess that might not happen) and im sure all manufactures will at least make a wifi only version of their tablet. I was Mainly looking at this onslaught of high end android smartphone devices att and verizon will have, most ecspecially those by motorola.

The evo brand might have been good earlier, but now its nothing than just a name, in fact i believe with announcement of the evo shift, the evo brand is somewhat diminished because the shift is a less powerful phone that original evo.

Kind of off topic, but sprint purchasing nextel was the best thing for them, they just either didnt know what to do with it, or just wanted it out of their way. I actually read somewhere that nextel was actually working on 3g back in 2004 years before any other wireless provider. And some of sprints pre-merger polices were beyond ridiculous (for example if you got your phone replaced through insurance or repair, or even just bought an used phone; the second the serial number of the activated device changes, your 2year waiting period for an upgrade starts over.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    Honestly I didnt look much into t-mobile announcements, mainly att and verizon. And i was mostly focused on phones rather than tablets, because i was hoping tablets would be available on all carriers-no exclusivity-(but i guess that might not happen) and im sure all manufactures will at least make a wifi only version of their tablet. I was Mainly looking at this onslaught of high end android smartphone devices att and verizon will have, most ecspecially those by motorola.

The evo brand might have been good earlier, but now its nothing than just a name, in fact i believe with announcement of the evo shift, the evo brand is somewhat diminished because the shift is a less powerful phone that original evo.
    I don't see it that way at all. Lots of Sprint people like keyboards or might think the original is too big or want a cheaper device to dip their toe into the 4G waters with. Making an Evo that has all of these things is good business sense, and Sprint needs something to compete with the Droid Incredible, which is now priced the exact same.

The next Evo products coming down the pike will be more powerful, I assure you.

Kind of off topic, but sprint purchasing nextel was the best thing for them, they just either didnt know what to do with it, or just wanted it out of their way. I actually read somewhere that nextel was actually working on 3g back in 2004 years before any other wireless provider. And some of sprints pre-merger polices were beyond ridiculous (for example if you got your phone replaced through insurance or repair, or even just bought an used phone; the second the serial number of the activated device changes, your 2year waiting period for an upgrade starts over.)
    I....have never seen/read anyone making this argument before. Never.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Go to Live from CES 2011's opening keynote with Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg -- Engadget and scroll to 9:19 or search on the page for HP.

9:19AM "Yesterday, Motorola introduced the Droid Bionic and the Xoom, their new phone and tablet." No mention of the Atrix for AT&T, amazingly! He says we'll see devices from LG, HP, Samsung, and Novatel later in the day at Verizon's press conference.
    Now, this could just be the Pre 2, but I thought I'd point it out all the same since this was within the context of 4G discussions and the Pre 2 is not LTE as far as I know. The press conference starts at 4pm EST (in 30 minutes). Here's hoping. =)
    Thanks! I'll definitely be following that press conference.
    <<threads merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by soydeedo View Post
    Go to Live from CES 2011's opening keynote with Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg -- Engadget and scroll to 9:19 or search on the page for HP.

Now, this could just be the Pre 2, but I thought I'd point it out all the same since this was within the context of 4G discussions and the Pre 2 is not LTE as far as I know. The press conference starts at 4pm EST (in 30 minutes). Here's hoping. =)
    So far all I've seen is an Android tablet showing a card metaphor like webOS.
    I don't see it that way at all. Lots of Sprint people like keyboards or might think the original is too big or want a cheaper device to dip their toe into the 4G waters with. Making an Evo that has all of these things is good business sense, and Sprint needs something to compete with the Droid Incredible, which is now priced the exact same.

The next Evo products coming down the pike will be more powerful, I assure you.

I....have never seen/read anyone making this argument before. Never.
    Sprint does have the epic for those who want keyboard , and many cheaper lower end android phones for people to try out. I can see people wanting a cheaper phone to test out android in genral, but why a cheaper phone to test out 4g, 4g is more usefull with a higher end powerful phone. Actually I found it strange that the only super phones sprint had where 4g, and figured it was bad business for them not to have any 3g superphones like other carriers have, but now that 4g is the big thing with carriers now that doesn't bother me.

I never said i was against evo shift, i am glad they came out with a keyboard version of the evo, I also hope they would comeout with a keyboard-less version of the epic.( just like all other galaxy s phones) Sprint shouldnt put all their eggs in the evo basket either, that is HTC, where is the sprint-motorola love?

Sprint's old upgrade policy was based on HLOF (handset life on file), and soon as the serial number changes the 2 yr waiting period starts over for an upgrade discount. When merged with nextel this policy changed to resemble the nextel upgrade policy. When sprint and nextel alot of sprints old policies were replaced with nextels.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    WebOS is doomed. The folks over at androidcentral.com are at CES and the number of new Android products is unbelievable.
    Tom Scott
    San Diego, California
    Palm Pre as of 12/29/09
    Palm Owner since 1997, Pre replaced Treo 755P
    HP better knock the socks off...

does anyone know when they are scheduled to speak?
    GRRRR @ BlackBerry PlayBook UI
    Glad to see HP in the center of that Partners graphic.http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....1--img3095.jpg
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast