Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    HP/Palm not presenting at CES, or HP/Palm not giving a keynote? You choose the correct title.

HP/Palm will be there, and my guess is that it is not for the free keychains.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    You beat me to it. Yeah, I donlt think they are passing on CES, just saving $$$ by only having a private meeting room.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    +1 for both comments
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    FYI, it isn't necessarily HP's choice to not give a keynote. Vendors submit nominations for person and tie they want to give a keynote or be on a keynote panel.

It's not an issue of cost, it's an issue of having the right person/topic for the current trends. I'm not saying HP doesn't have that, but they obviously didn't make their case effectively. It's best to look at who actually IS doing a keynote to see what trends and markets they are focusing on.

I agree that the thread title is a bit misleading.
    who cares, palm didn't give a keynote in 2009 and still made headlines
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    who cares, palm didn't give a keynote in 2009 and still made headlines
    Don't you think the landscape is a bit different nowadays, tho?
    Verizon already making news today with a LTE phone going to be annouce at CES
    Only if they can show off something good enough to get the analysts and nay-sayers thinking that Palm is still in the game. If they don't then I doubt they'll make any headlines.
    Motorola, NEC and Verizon are all showing up on Engadget today "teasing" new products for CES.

Hey...HP! Tease us. Please. SOMEthing. ANYTHING.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The Pre made headlines because there was really only one other smartphone manufacturer other than Palm before 2009. Do you think Palm will make headlines in 2011?
    mikah and untidy guy, resident palm naysayers on precentral, I didn't imply anything by my post other than what was stated. Fact, palm didn't give a keynote that year but stole the show.

so for people concerned that they aren't giving the keynote, which is the topic of this thread, it doesn't matter...point of my post.

whether palm or hp actually makes headlines in 2011, which is a mere 2 weeks away, is another story. It's up to hp palm to either deliver or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Don't you think the landscape is a bit different nowadays, tho?
    Yes, the landscape is much different.

• Palm had been virtually silent in them months preceding CES. - Oh wait, that's not really different.
    • Rumor was that Palm had something spectacularly "different" up their sleeve. - Um..., not really different there either.
    • Palm now has the financial backing, the resources, and the track record of acquisitions to really pull off some big changes again. - Yeah, that's different.

I'm sure though, that some will have a dimmer view.
    mikah and untidy guy, resident palm naysayers on precentral, I didn't imply anything by my post other than what was stated. Fact, palm didn't give a keynote that year but stole the show.

so for people concerned that they aren't giving the keynote, which is the topic of this thread, it doesn't matter...point of my post.

whether palm or hp actually makes headlines in 2011, which is a mere 2 weeks away, is another story. It's up to hp palm to either deliver or not.
    I really wish there was a ThankYou ThankYou ThankYou button. This needed to be said.
    That's fine, but again, in a much less competitive landscape, they were introducing a brand new OS, hardware, branding, etc. This year, in a fiercely competitive landscape, they are going with a familiar OS. Even this latest version has already been announced via press release. The hardware will make headlines simply due to it breaking the silence (well, that's assuming they announce new hardware), but it's a very, very different situation.

That's not negative. I would say the same for Motorola announcing new Droid stuff. There are WAY more competitors in the highend Android space now. Just the way it is. Doesn't mean I am a Motorola naysayer.
    To illustrate my point, here is the list of keynote speakers:
    2011 CES: Keynotes

There isn't a single one that is targeted specifically at smartphones, even by presentations by companies that compete directly with HP or Palm. Samsung is talking about visual display technology, for example. Other speakers include the CEO of Audi, Cisco and Verizon (the mother ship, not just VZW). Not IBM, Not Dell, Apple, Google, etc.

Ruby was a keynote speaker at CES 2010 after making a major splash announcing the Pre minus in 2009. A tiny player like Palm doesn't get 2 in a row...

Now I'm sure HP wanted to have one of those slots, but they would probably spend the effort on talking about flexible displays and web-connected printing just as they seem to in every other public presentation. This doesn't mean that HP doesn't have industry clout (although some might think they don't) or even that they aren't relevant to CES (although some might think they aren't). It means that CES determined others were more central to the hottest topics, played more golf with CES executives, had gone longer since their last keynote and was next in line, whatever...

It's just not possible to prove a connection between H/Palm's future success and whether they are involves in one of 7 keynote speeches at an event focused on the (very) broad topic of Consumer Electronics. I attended CES a few years ago, and the biggest presence was by companies that were one the edge for the biggest market segments, such as television, on-demand movies, broadband, portable and wireless computing, and whatever was considered to be the hot market for that year. I think it was 2004, so back then those were the the hot topics.

Smartphones are certainly a current topic, but connected cars (Ford Sync) and TVs that can surf the web may be considered more cutting edge. Ballmer also spoke last year, but barely mentioned Windows Mobile - the hot topic was slates/pads (including HP's). I'm sure this year he will make sure to squeeze it in to his speech.

Link to video of Ruby's 2010 keynote:
    ces 2010 keynote - Google Search

Here are the lists of keynotes for the last few years:

2010 Press Events & Keynotes
    CES 2010 Highlights
    CES 2010 Events Schedule

2009 press and keynotes
    CES 2009 | Network World
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 12/20/2010 at 01:34 PM.
    [Begin movie trailer voiceover]
    In a world where competition does not matter, one company can succeed purely on its own merits without regard for what other manufacturers are doing. Following its own roadmap, it can succeed - in that world.
    Cute voice over, Darth Vadar voice perhaps?

So, where in the world did you see something from me, anyone else, or even HP/Palm about a company "succeeding on it's own merits without regard for what other manufacturers are doing"?

Oh yeah, I forgot. You're making things up as you go.

I'll let you get back to that galaxy from a long time ago and far far away.
    <<thread merged>>

Let's get back to discussing CES and Smartphones.
    You said, sarcastically, that the landscape was much different and then listed three things about Palm that are the same or better. To me, the competitive landscape has to do with the outside factors that determine whether Palm will make headlines. A new line of smartphones, at this point, isn't going to make headlines like it did in 2009. It think that's pretty obvious.

Palm released the Pre at CES 2009, made a splash, and customers lined up. They released the Pre 2 in 2010 and it wasn't even picked up by a US carrier. What's the difference? Perhaps the competitive landscape has changed?
    Perfect summation. The same device and OS that made a splash less than two years before was reintroduced with significantly improved hardware and software, thousands more apps available, and from a bigger company with a better reputation to....utter indifference both from the market and the very manufacturer.
    You said, sarcastically, that the landscape was much different and then listed three things about Palm that are the same or better. To me, the competitive landscape has to do with the outside factors that determine whether Palm will make headlines. A new line of smartphones, at this point, isn't going to make headlines like it did in 2009. It think that's pretty obvious.

Palm released the Pre at CES 2009, made a splash, and customers lined up. They released the Pre 2 in 2010 and it wasn't even picked up by a US carrier. What's the difference? Perhaps the competitive landscape has changed?
    The "landscape is different" was really someone else's point, not mine. The landscape is really not much different, and less so for HP than it was for Palm (HP is pretty much used to competing in a competitive marketplace).

Certainly nothing in my post indicated that they are following their own path.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Perfect summation. The same device and OS that made a splash less than two years before was reintroduced with significantly improved hardware and software, thousands more apps available, and from a bigger company with a better reputation to....utter indifference both from the market and the very manufacturer.
    I never believed I'd see this day - an actual confirmation that the Pre 2 offered:

• Significantly improved hardware
    • Significantly improved software
    • Thousands of available apps
    • HP has a good reputation

You're mellowing.

Palm's announcement at CES in 2009 made headlines not because of the size (or lack thereof) of the company, or the software available, or Palm's reputation, or any of that. It made headlines because 1) Palm was all but written off at the time (and they still are, by some), and 2) It was a radically promising device and OS.

Neither of those two landscape situations have changed much. No, revamped hardware and revamped OS aren't eath-shattering news. One would hardly expect any great reaction after 2 years. However, it's pretty clear HP and Palm is going to do much more than offer a revamped phone and updated OS. Expect some major announcements, and expect them to gain some traction.

That success will be disappointing for some, I know, but it's going to happen.
    Last edited by hparsons; 12/20/2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Left the "2" off "Pre 2"
    As long as they are announcing some new phones then that would keep me happy

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    of course hp and palm are announcing new phones. They've only said it umpteen times, we have rumors that foxconn will be building them, jr keeps speaking publicly about it...i mean what the hell guys? It may or may not be announced at ces, and it may or may not be the holy grail of smartphones (it won't) but they are coming. They will be announced when they are ready to go or when things are far along. They may or may not be successful, but they are coming. Why else would JR, phil mckinney, bradley and the wallstreet journal discuss webOS devices as coming soon? To what advantage do they have at lying to the public when the platform has already reached it's lowest point?
    The naysaying cracks me up. What has really truly changed landscape-wise? Back when the Pre and WebOS were announced, Apple and RIM dominated the smartphone market. Now it's Apple and Android. Despite little marketing, and crappy marketing at best, despite being on only one carrier for roughly 8 months, then being treated like a second class citizen on Verizon, the WebOS user base still managed to swell to over 2 million users. People who KNOW the OS love it (yes, there are always exceptions). I can still wow Droid and iPhone users who haven't seen WebOS in action.

For Palm to change the dynamics, all they need to do is 1) introduce multiple form factors with top notch hardware and 2) actually market the phones and the OS. If they make multiple phones that consumers would like, and they actually let people know about the OS, they'll sell in large numbers. People simple don't know of WebOS' existence. If they did, Palm would have been in better shape, though the original Pre's quality did hold them back some.

Let's be honest, those who think the market is set in stone are clueless. Most consumers are fickle and will change platforms when they see something they like better. HP/Palm's job is to be "that" something better. If they pull it off, they can make the in-roads they need.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast