Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So this would indicate that the webOS tablet has no keyboard and that there is a low-end phone with no keyboard. There's a good possibility, then, that none of the new Palm phones will have a keyboard - there are too many drawbacks to developing apps for devices that may or may not have a keyboard.
    A low end phone with no keyboard... would have to have a larger screen than the current pixi and pre models do. There's no way they could pull off a virtual keyboard with only a 3.1 hvga screen. They'd have to go for a larger screen for sure, 3.6 minimum... but they may stick with the hvga resolution just so that apps are the same size and pixel count.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
    Quote Originally Posted by danstah View Post
    I was under the impression that we still had neither confirmed nor denied whether the api's for the mic and cam were available in the webos 2 sdk. I thought this was because the people who can actually confirm or not are under NDA because the SDK is still in beta. I may be wrong but that was my understanding
    Those API'd better be open in 2.0! It's ridiculous how every single other platform out there has Shazam and we still got nothing. Even the WP7 phones have it.

Sometimes I wonder if Palm are dumb. I see no logical reason to keep those API closed to developers, specially as of now.
    My guess: A release date for the Pre 2 and showing of webos 2.0.....no new devices, but maybe a hint of hardware before the years end.... really wouldn't be surprised... im not getting my hopes up
    i expect a Tablet and a 4G slate phone. It also wouldn't truly surprise me if he Pre 2 was essentially scrapped and not released because i don't think it's selling well overseas. But then again maybe they don't care about the sales. That being said it wouldn't remotely suprise me if they announced a tablet, a webos printer, and the Pre 2 and nothing more. Big picture, I think CES may appease the Palm faithful but I don't think any of it will matter much to the average consumer or significantly increase Palm's smartphone marketshare.
    Quote Originally Posted by mickykitsune View Post
    A low end phone with no keyboard... would have to have a larger screen than the current pixi and pre models do. There's no way they could pull off a virtual keyboard with only a 3.1 hvga screen. They'd have to go for a larger screen for sure, 3.6 minimum... but they may stick with the hvga resolution just so that apps are the same size and pixel count.
    I don't think a lower screen size will matter. I had a htc touch diamond, and that has a smaller screen than the pre, and its virtual keyboard was easy to use and didn't feel cramped.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    i expect a Tablet and a 4G slate phone. It also wouldn't truly surprise me if he Pre 2 was essentially scrapped and not released because i don't think it's selling well overseas. But then again maybe they don't care about the sales. That being said it wouldn't remotely suprise me if they announced a tablet, a webos printer, and the Pre 2 and nothing more. Big picture, I think CES may appease the Palm faithful but I don't think any of it will matter much to the average consumer or significantly increase Palm's smartphone marketshare.
    I agree with the first part of your paragraph. I expect a webOS tablet, a 4G slate phone that will hit Sprint & Verizon in Feb and ATT in April. I also expect them to talk about webOS 2.1 being released to current devices in the field and maybe announcing the Pre 2 being available on V. I think they'll talk about their cloud initiatives and show how the cloud stuff works with apps and other Palm profile items.

They'll show how the Enyo dev platform allowed New York Times, some other media companies and a few gaming companies that have access to the early access program for webOS 2.0 to develop news apps that scale across all webOS devices (phones, slates & printers).

I also think they'll talk about beefing up advertising with new commercials.

They'll likely wait until Mobile World Congress to announce the additional form factors Phil McKinney mentioned HP would release 1 by 1 over the next several months. And at that event they'll prolly announce wider carrier adoption by overseas carriers.

But it's all speculation at this point.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I think they are going to announce WebOs 2.1 where they revamped all the core applications with more settings and better backend work. They are going to announce a 3.7 in slab and a 3.5 teen phone that is only slightly underpowered. Lastly they will announce the palm pad which will be a 10 screen with webOs 2.1 revamped for the palm pad itself. They will also talk about a developer day which will be 2 weeks from the presentation where they will educate on how to develop and scale apps for the palm pad. There they will also announce the palm pad hot apps program. By the beginning of feb. We should see the palm pad and by the end of feb we should the 2 new smart phones. And one more thing the smart phones are coming for AT&T verizon and sprint. Sprint will get 4 g as well as the tablet in 4 g.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    The tablet had certainly better be larger than 5 inches. Even 7 inches is way too small. The Galaxy Tab is a joke.
    The Galaxy Tab is a joke because it runs an OS that wasn't designed for a tablet. It's just like all these Windows 7 "tablets". They are painful to use at times because the OS was designed for peripheral operation, not touch.
    The 7" size (that's what she said) wouldn't be too bad, I just want Palm to come out swinging at CES, because if they don't, they may just fade out into the sunset.
  9.    #69  
    I think they will try to blow it up at CES. Why wait if they have some great stuff coming out? If they continue to wait, there will only be more tablets in the market, the iPhone on Verizon (and other carriers) can only be looming in the not too distance future, not to mention all the android phones coming out everyday.

If I were Palm I would go big. CES is a huge industry event. All of big tech media will be there, devs will be paying a ton of attention to whats going on, etc. While Palm does care about the faithful users, at some point they have bigger fish to fry. Announcing just enough to keep a very small subset of Palm fan boys happy? I thought that was the Pre 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by danstah View Post
    I was under the impression that we still had neither confirmed nor denied whether the api's for the mic and cam were available in the webos 2 sdk. I thought this was because the people who can actually confirm or not are under NDA because the SDK is still in beta. I may be wrong but that was my understanding
    those APIs were announced for webOS 2.0 SDK on developer day in april 2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    those APIs were announced for webOS 2.0 SDK on developer day in april 2010.
    Phew. Then I hope that means Shazam soon. I swear that's the one app that I envy the most from other smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    Some new high-end, feature-rich hardware would be a great announcement. Unfortunately, if I got my hands on one, I'd still be limited to the few dozen "useful" apps that I have now on my launch-day Pre (and a Google Maps app that probably loads in 25 seconds instead of 30). If WebOS 2.0 comes out, its still anti-climactic as WebOS 2.0 really doesn't have anything all that interesting to offer. In addition, I'm reading in other threads that the WebOS 2.0 SDK STILL does not have APIs for the camera or microphone - thus guaranteeing that there are loads of apps that still can't be offered on a WebOS device - even IF a dev was willing to write the app for this tiny market share.

It's an uphill battle for HP to keep me interested. An awesome hardware announcement at CES would be great, but I need more than that to stick around. Everyone around me is constantly showing me all the awesome apps on other platforms and I'm struggling to find anything of interest in the Palm app catalog. I love the concept of WebOS but HPalm needs to several homeruns - hardware, APIs, dev commitment are the big ones, to keep me from joining my friends that are having way more fun on other platforms. I REALLY want to stick with HPalm so my fingers are crossed but I may be setting the bar too high for them.
    I think there are two coins. New hardware is a must. Developers wont develop for a platform if it is not on hardware and in the hands of consumers. Second key is that HP push WebOS to the carriers. Every WebOS device should be pushed and sold by every carrier as if it was the second coming. The more people who have the phone, the more developers will WANT to develop for it. It has enough app's to stay relevant ... for now. But if that app catagorey does not increase by the end of 2011 -- or show signs of growing -- it won't be good!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    why doesn't anyone seem to think anything will be released for tmobile after Rubinstein already showed interest in their network. they need to take the windows 7 and galaxy s approach and release a few good devices for all carriers, and really push the phones because webos still has some of the "wow thats cool" factor cause of people that don't know i much.
    GO BRONCOS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by card0124 View Post
    why doesn't anyone seem to think anything will be released for tmobile after Rubinstein already showed interest in their network. they need to take the windows 7 and galaxy s approach and release a few good devices for all carriers, and really push the phones because webos still has some of the "wow thats cool" factor cause of people that don't know i much.
    I agree.. I don't see HP discriminating.. Even if they wanted to , they can NOT exclude any carrier.. They MUST HAVE muktiple devices across all carriers!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    According to the the Keynote schedule HP is not presenting...Are we going to see the PalmPad????

2011 CES: Keynotes
    Man oh man. When HP is quiet they really are. It reminds me of the old Sprint Fiber Optic commercials. "you can hear a pin drop".

Here is the to that old commercial.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    But as the graphic above exhorts you, don't panic. Palm passing on the show floor is not surprising - in both 2009 and 2010 Palm didn't put their wares out there for the hoi polloi to fondle. Instead they had swank but semi-private digs in the very same room they're listed in for 2011. We'd would have liked to see them change their mind this year and let any old person check out their stuff, but that it what it is.
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-takin...ces-show-floor
    HP/Palm not presenting at CES, or HP/Palm not giving a keynote? You choose the correct title.

HP/Palm will be there, and my guess is that it is not for the free keychains.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

You beat me to it. Yeah, I donlt think they are passing on CES, just saving $$$ by only having a private meeting room.

Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    You beat me to it. Yeah, I donlt think they are passing on CES, just saving $$$ by only having a private meeting room.

What better way to present to people who care about your products than to exclude the CES riff raff.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast