Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    first part yes.

no reason to stuff an LTE radio into an old design. Pre2 will make great entry level / free phone, with LTE coming later when vzw starts to kaunch LTE phones.

IMHO
    I am hoping for Sprint...As probably most on this site are. Although, I would like to see all carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    I was just expressing my opinion, and I stand behind what I said. I have actually extensively used one, and 7 inches is not large enough to feel like anything more than an oversized phone--which in the case of the Galaxy Tab is exactly what you are holding.

5 inches is another terrible idea. That's way too big to be a phone, and even less usable than the 7 inch devices.

Apple got it right with 10 inches. That's the minimum size. Anything else is just a phone pretending to be something that it's not.
    It also possible that the Tab was 7-inch because Google Android res didn't allow it to be much larger. But i still believe a 7 inch tablet is much better for mobile use, while 10 inch is great for around home. Thats just me.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Some new high-end, feature-rich hardware would be a great announcement. Unfortunately, if I got my hands on one, I'd still be limited to the few dozen "useful" apps that I have now on my launch-day Pre (and a Google Maps app that probably loads in 25 seconds instead of 30). If WebOS 2.0 comes out, its still anti-climactic as WebOS 2.0 really doesn't have anything all that interesting to offer. In addition, I'm reading in other threads that the WebOS 2.0 SDK STILL does not have APIs for the camera or microphone - thus guaranteeing that there are loads of apps that still can't be offered on a WebOS device - even IF a dev was willing to write the app for this tiny market share.

It's an uphill battle for HP to keep me interested. An awesome hardware announcement at CES would be great, but I need more than that to stick around. Everyone around me is constantly showing me all the awesome apps on other platforms and I'm struggling to find anything of interest in the Palm app catalog. I love the concept of WebOS but HPalm needs to several homeruns - hardware, APIs, dev commitment are the big ones, to keep me from joining my friends that are having way more fun on other platforms. I REALLY want to stick with HPalm so my fingers are crossed but I may be setting the bar too high for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    The tablet had certainly better be larger than 5 inches. Even 7 inches is way too small. The Galaxy Tab is a joke.
    Not to me. Every time I handle an iPad, I get tired of holding it pretty quickly. The Galaxy Tab is small and pocketable and that's important to me because I'm not going to give up my netbook for a tablet, so I need something that fits in my pocket. If the Galaxy Tab were cheaper, wi-fi only and ran webOS, I'd snap it up in a moment.

The biggest mistake that HP-Palm could make is to let Apple dictate the direction and shape the markets in which they compete. It's Apple which told people that they were not interested in phones before they came out with the iPhone. It was Apple which told people that web apps were all anyone needed before they came out with the App Store. And it was Apple who told people that no one wants a tablet smaller than 10 inches. What are the odds that next year Apple comes out with a 7 inch iPad. Pretty high given Apple's history.
    Dell Venue Pro WP7 Smartphone (T-Mobile for $99.99) My Digital Life

id LOVE the next webos device to look like that phone. sleek as heck IMO.
    I'm thinking that all the devices they come out with will start as GSM models with secondary models on CDMA or LTE.

Why? Because HP will be thinking about the whole world, not just the US market. And GSM is important for that.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    From all accounts, the next big device is a Pixi 2?

***?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    From all accounts, the next big device is a Pixi 2?

***?
    Haha,
    when are we going to start getting info from hpalm like this

LG 'B' Android phone caught in the wild, looking thin and ready to spank S-AMOLED (update: confirmed) -- Engadget
    Last edited by m3grady2; 12/17/2010 at 07:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    first part yes.

no reason to stuff an LTE radio into an old design. Pre2 will make great entry level / free phone, with LTE coming later when vzw starts to kaunch LTE phones.

IMHO
    dam rights it would make a great entry level/ free phone. The first Pre was a great entry level/ free phone (for me as both were the case), largely in part to the hard working people at webOS Internals. I just doctored my old phone and getting it ready to be laid to rest(in the mailbox), and <shudders>, that phone needs overclocking, something fierce. 10 minutes until I can activate my new one, as apparantly I woke up before people in Montreal did
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    One of them will be pretty small. They will be shooting for the $99 to $150 with contract range.
    What's the advantage of going with a smaller phone? Going forward, it seems that 3.5" is the minimum screen size that consumers are going to be looking at and once you stick a 3.5" screen on a device, that means that it has be a certain minimum screen...
    They will probably announce a tablet and webOS 2.0 on all devices. Then they will say they are planning on bringing new phones later in the year. Thats my thought. I hope I'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    What's the advantage of going with a smaller phone? Going forward, it seems that 3.5" is the minimum screen size that consumers are going to be looking at and once you stick a 3.5" screen on a device, that means that it has be a certain minimum screen...
    I think there is a valid market for a smaller phone. That's the first requirement for people like my wife. If I wanted to pay for another data plan, I get her a Pre2. I wouldn't want to give her my Pre Plus because she'd break it in a day or two.

I honestly thought the Pre would be big enough for me (coming from a Centro) until I realized that I'd use it instead of my netbook for a large portion of my internet and email use. If it wasn't so good at those things, I wouldn't be killing my eyes and wishing for an ePhone-size display.

I think Palm would be wise to continue with a Pre or Pixi size, and just launch bigger phones to round out a fleet that has something for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    ...There's a good possibility, then, that none of the new Palm phones will have a keyboard - there are too many drawbacks to developing apps for devices that may or may not have a keyboard.
    I'd have to say that's quite a jump in logic.

The programming requirements would be no different for a device with a built in keyboard and a device with a BT enabled keyboard, if the drivers are setup to recognize the input from either. Seeing as WebOS already recognizes both physical keyboard input, and virtual keyboard input, I don't see this as any kind of indicator on what the future holds for a built in physical keyboard.

However, I'll say one thing it does indicate - HP is already preparing accessories for the device that they haven't even given a tight release date on. That's great news.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I'm expecting a new top end phone and a tablet.

My hope is that they not only announce these things, but they learn a lesson from their last big CES launch and from their competition (RE: Apple). Not only do they need to announce these things, they need to say the release date and it needs to be by March at the latest.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Oh, and I think an iPad sized tablet is definitely better than the Tab (which I do like, but I think is too small for a good tablet and too big to really be easily portable). However, I'd sacrifice a bit of the metal look of the iPad in exchange for making it lighter.

The size of the iPad isn't bad, its the weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Oh, and I think an iPad sized tablet is definitely better than the Tab (which I do like, but I think is too small for a good tablet and too big to really be easily portable). However, I'd sacrifice a bit of the metal look of the iPad in exchange for making it lighter.

The size of the iPad isn't bad, its the weight.
    I have a ipad myself and it is to me the perfect size. My personal at my job had the samsung tablet for us to try out, to consider for our techs, and I must say its madd buggy comparred to the Ipad. Very very laggy, and too small (though the size would be perfect for our engineers). Android is def not ready for a tablet, to me they should just focus on phones for now, until they get a tablet OS version fully ready.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mickykitsune View Post
    I'm thinking that all the devices they come out with will start as GSM models with secondary models on CDMA or LTE.

Why? Because HP will be thinking about the whole world, not just the US market. And GSM is important for that.
    They better pull a Nokia with the radios and not botch it like they did the Pre 2.
    I want European and T-Mobile 3G bands in the device, and I kinda think listing the bands in thr product details on the site they sell it off of is important.
    They better make the app catalog better as well - I hate hearing how difficult it is for people to use one of the most important features to a smartphone. :/
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    Some new high-end, feature-rich hardware would be a great announcement. Unfortunately, if I got my hands on one, I'd still be limited to the few dozen "useful" apps that I have now on my launch-day Pre (and a Google Maps app that probably loads in 25 seconds instead of 30). If WebOS 2.0 comes out, its still anti-climactic as WebOS 2.0 really doesn't have anything all that interesting to offer. In addition, I'm reading in other threads that the WebOS 2.0 SDK STILL does not have APIs for the camera or microphone - thus guaranteeing that there are loads of apps that still can't be offered on a WebOS device - even IF a dev was willing to write the app for this tiny market share.

It's an uphill battle for HP to keep me interested. An awesome hardware announcement at CES would be great, but I need more than that to stick around. Everyone around me is constantly showing me all the awesome apps on other platforms and I'm struggling to find anything of interest in the Palm app catalog. I love the concept of WebOS but HPalm needs to several homeruns - hardware, APIs, dev commitment are the big ones, to keep me from joining my friends that are having way more fun on other platforms. I REALLY want to stick with HPalm so my fingers are crossed but I may be setting the bar too high for them.
    I completely agree with you. WebOS WAS a great foundation....but they have yet to build on it. So many ppl say OH IT HAS POTENTIAL! but what good is potential when all the other platforms have reached their potential and are still going, while we are sitting here dreaming...
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post

I was under the impression that we still had neither confirmed nor denied whether the api's for the mic and cam were available in the webos 2 sdk. I thought this was because the people who can actually confirm or not are under NDA because the SDK is still in beta. I may be wrong but that was my understanding
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast