Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Found this on pocketnow.com and thought its woth posting.

"Hewlett Packard has applied for a trio of trademarks which are pretty clearly looking to protect smartphone brands, and since that company only makes one brand of phone now, we could be seeing the first signs of the Palm Gyst, Palm Myte, and Palm Veer. (The names sound a bit silly to us too, but we all got used to Pre and Pixi just fine.) In some of the most detailed filings we've seen -- as far as these applications go, anyway -- the three proposed marks seek to cover:

"Computers; computer hardware; computer software; computer peripherals; computer and communications networking hardware and software; computer hardware, namely memory cards; computer hardware for telecommunications; computer monitors; computer keyboards; mobile digital electronic devices; mobile computers; handheld computers; portable computers; tablet computers; personal digital assistants; electronic organizers, electronic notepads; computer memories; telephones; mobile telephones; pagers; smartphones, videophones; mobile and handheld communications devices for sending and receiving data, information and other digital content, including audio and video content, namely handheld computers, mobile phones and smartphones; photographic and video cameras; audio players; video players; multimedia players; computer communications software; computer software, namely, prerecorded computer programs for personal information management, database management software, character recognition software, telecommunications software, telephony management software, electronic mail and messaging software, paging software, database synchronization software, computer programs for accessing, browsing and searching online databases; computer game programs; video game software; downloadable computer and video games; downloadable music, audio, video and entertainment related content; computer carrying cases; accessories, parts and cases for all the foregoing sold as a unit; instruction manuals in electronic form supplied with the foregoing sold as a unit; apparatus for recording, transmission or reproduction of data, text, graphics, sound or images; blank magnetic data carriers; prerecorded magnetic data carriers featuring software for use in connection with handheld communications devices, namely, mobile phones and smartphones; calculating machines, data processing equipment."
    So unless HP has some pretty fancy "calculating machines" waiting in the wings, we'd wager that these are three upcoming webOS-powered Palm handsets. Which ones? Well we've previously heard of evidence pointing to devices codenamed Broadway, Windsor, Mantaray, and Stingray -- and with Broadway allegedly referring to the rumored Pixi 2, it's possible that this latter trio of monikers and the Gyst, Myte, and Veer trademarks may be three and the same. However, that's pure speculation on our part.

We will note that Palm seemingly hasn't filed for any trademarks at all since the Touchstone and Synergy days, while Hewlett Packard has only applied for 31 total marks this year; of those 31, just four -- including the three we just saw -- make any reference to smartphones. "

Source
    United States Patent and Trademark Office
    Smartphone Reviews, News, and Video - pocketnow.com
    Last edited by Azthel; 12/16/2010 at 05:20 AM.
    Names are fun, great find, but I need leaked images soon.
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    Those names are terrible, but at least it's some news.
    The names sound OK if you put "Pre" in front of them - Pregyst, Premyte, and Preveer.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    just when you thought it couldn't get worse that Pre/Pixi lol. It's ok tho, I don't care what they call em, as long as they're awesome!
    ah just saw this and was coming to precentral to post about it, you beat me to the punch!

come on people, this is the most news we have gotten since...ces 2009 and 2010...
    These are probably code names.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    They are not code names if they are being trademarked. The Pre 2 code name was roadrunner which is something that is already trademarked. I would definitely consider these possibilities for names for the next Palm phones.
    who cares what the phone is called as long as we get a phone, ive been having problems with my 6th pre freezing up and im lookin for some new, sturdy, reliable hardware, with a stellar os like 2.0 to back it up... it would b like a fine wine complimenting a nice cheese
    Myte- Small Insect
    Gyte- Senselessly extravagant
    Veer- To change direction; to turn; to shift

Veer is kinda ify, but i am guessing it will be the first phone they release. Myte......Wrist watch anyone or a pixi follow up. Gyte...Tablet or 5 inch phone is my guess.
    I care what they are called and these names are not great. The code names are much better IMHO. Let's hope they are better then the names.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Myte- Small Insect
    Veer- To change direction; to turn; to shift

Veer is kinda ify, but i am guessing it will be the first phone they release. Myte......Wrist watch anyone or a pixi follow up. Gyte...Tablet or 5 inch phone is my guess.
    My take ( I'll bite on speculating.... ) based on your translations
    Myte: the new super tiny phone
    Veer: wristwatch.....(change direction with cell phone form factor)
    Gyte: Slab phone
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    gotta love speculation and internet dictionaries. Thanks for playing.
    And I've held off for so long too
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    its almost time to be very happy or very disappointed.....i do not know if i get more excited for x mass or ces.... Gotta love some vapor wear to make the season birght.
    I just checked this morning... I'm not due for an upgrade until April 20/11.... Just got my recent replacement, which has 120 day warranty, so I'm covered to upgrade time. Maybe by then 2.whatever'll be out. No panic here, for me
    I don't think aything bad or good about the names. Names should simply be part of a brand along with the marketing identity HP promotes and the physical characteristics of each respective device.

Still....like others here...almost any news is good news at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    read the OP...it's "Gyst", not "Gyte"

Gyst could be a play on the word 'gist' or, "the main or essential part of a matter"...as in "what's the gist of the conversation?"

GYST, on the other hand, is something altogether different.
    From the 'Urban Distionary':
    Get Your S#!t Together. Military acronym used when correcting someone for not following procedures or for other minor goof-ups.

I like the latter...sort of plays well with the concept of Synergy and cloud computing.

I prefer the name Myte to Pixi. I associate Pixi with Fairy...Myte sort of reminds me of something busy, productive, compact.

Veer is just meh. Reminds me of all the other phone names out there.
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    I keep seeing posters mention a wristwatch. Why would HP waste any resources on a wristwatch? Such a tiny niche product would be DOA for certain.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast