Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    I keep seeing posters mention a wristwatch. Why would HP waste any resources on a wristwatch? Such a tiny niche product would be DOA for certain.
    They have enough money to play with, they can do whatever they want.

Honestly, I'd buy one if they did come out with something similar to the mock wristwatch device that the P|C member here made. That was awesome.
    Sprint Love
    Quote Originally Posted by gonk24 View Post
    I keep seeing posters mention a wristwatch. Why would HP waste any resources on a wristwatch? Such a tiny niche product would be DOA for certain.
    Speculation started after this post:

http://www.precentral.net/hp-cto-tea...les-sxsw-panel

In both photos, there is a blacked out area on his wrist where a watch would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Speculation started after this post:

http://www.precentral.net/hp-cto-tea...les-sxsw-panel

In both photos, there is a blacked out area on his wrist where a watch would be.
    Thanks for posting that again, I actually did not realize the black band across his wrist was supposed to be "edited" out. Nor did I read the comments, which people mention that.
    Sprint Love
    doa or the future! Ya I like gyst better than gyte myself. Sorry about the miss read.
    a hotspot watch like that would be legit . I'm very much looking forward to this next year and what HP is going to bring to the table.
    I suppose one other interpretation could be to the german 'geist', meaning spirit or ghost...as in zeitgeist ("spirit of the times").

Too obscure?
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Myte- Small Insect
    Gyte- Senselessly extravagant
    Veer- To change direction; to turn; to shift

Veer is kinda ify, but i am guessing it will be the first phone they release. Myte......Wrist watch anyone or a pixi follow up. Gyte...Tablet or 5 inch phone is my guess.
    It wasn't Gyte - it was Gyst.

I'm guessing the following:

Myte - the size of a current Pre 2, but probably better specs
    Gyst - a basic unit that replaces the Pixi, but again, better specs
    Veer - a larger, more powerful device.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Veer - a larger, more powerful device...
    ...that keeps your attention even while driving as you <cough> veer into the next lane
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    ...that keeps your attention even while driving as you <cough> veer into the next lane
    i'm often interested in where names come from...how they maybe are derived from an image or an intent. i suppose Veer may be intended to imply a new direction or course? perhaps a departure from the norm (at least Palm's norm). maybe Veer is indeed the 'slab' phone with the virtual-only keyboard.
    Don't really mean to **** the party, but there really isn't any solid indication that these are trademarks for Palm devices.

It can be new names to replace Pavillion, don't forget Envy is a 4-character name as well, so that fits the piece too.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Don't really mean to **** the party, but there really isn't any solid indication that these are trademarks for Palm devices.

It can be new names to replace Pavillion, don't forget Envy is a 4-character name as well, so that fits the piece too.
    This is the first time that any recent HP trademark application has included the smartphone category in its description.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    This is the first time that any recent HP trademark application has included the smartphone category in its description.
    Okay so someone look up the "Envy" TM filing and compare to see how similar the descriptions are.
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    Good idea of HP to stay away from "p" names to avoid connection to the pre/pixi hardware. I'm sure the last thing that HP wants is for people to think of these as extensions of those models.
    Here's to hoping this isn't just misdirection

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Oy vie!!! with names like that these potential phones better be knock outs or the public just myte not gyst it and veer away to android or some other platform.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Or it might have nothing to do with Palm/webOS and might names for one of the couple of other product types mentioned with smartphone...

"Computers; computer hardware; computer software; computer peripherals; computer and communications networking hardware and software; computer hardware, namely memory cards; computer hardware for telecommunications; computer monitors; computer keyboards; mobile digital electronic devices; mobile computers; handheld computers; portable computers; tablet computers; personal digital assistants; electronic organizers, electronic notepads; computer memories; telephones; mobile telephones; pagers; smartphones, videophones; mobile and handheld communications devices for sending and receiving data, information and other digital content, including audio and video content, namely handheld computers, mobile phones and smartphones; photographic and video cameras; audio players; video players; multimedia players; computer communications software; computer software, namely, prerecorded computer programs for personal information management, database management software, character recognition software, telecommunications software, telephony management software, electronic mail and messaging software, paging software, database synchronization software, computer programs for accessing, browsing and searching online databases; computer game programs; video game software; downloadable computer and video games; downloadable music, audio, video and entertainment related content; computer carrying cases; accessories, parts and cases for all the foregoing sold as a unit; instruction manuals in electronic form supplied with the foregoing sold as a unit; apparatus for recording, transmission or reproduction of data, text, graphics, sound or images; blank magnetic data carriers; prerecorded magnetic data carriers featuring software for use in connection with handheld communications devices, namely, mobile phones and smartphones; calculating machines, data processing equipment."

Just a thought.
    Apps:

Turn the Dial Radio Directory (Phones)
    8-bit Miner (TouchPad)
    Turn the Dial Digital Edition (TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    They have enough money to play with, they can do whatever they want.

Honestly, I'd buy one if they did come out with something similar to the mock wristwatch device that the P|C member here made. That was awesome.
    It would basically serve as a watch, with health metrics, music player built in, calling, etc. I could use one. It wouldn't be great for playing games on, but there are plenty of other uses that would be more than adequate, and much better than a printer. :P
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    "Gyst" looks and sounds and awful lot like "gyp," which, in addition to being an ethnic slur, connotes a bad deal or a ripoff. I have a hard time seeing this as the name of a consumer electronic device, but what do I know?
    hopefully HP doesnt use those names for their upcoming mobile devices because those names suck...
    I just hope this doesn't indicate anything, since CES is predicted to be quiet.

I am just being stupid thinking it could mean HP GYST (Just) MYTE (Might) VEER (Veer) off webOS, right?
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast