Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

    FYI.

    Take care,

    jay

    HP Partners Hoping webOS Will Fuel Tablet SuccessBy Kevin McLaughlin, CRN, Dec. 14, 2010 9:24 PM EST

    http://www.crn.com/news/applications...n4A**.ecappj03

    HP (NYSE:HPQ) has already brought one unimpressive Windows 7 tablet to market, but there are reasons to believe that HP will get it right this time around with its forthcoming wave of webOS tablets.

    For starters, it's always a good sign when a new CEO takes special interest in a product he or she had nothing to do with acquiring. At the D: Dive Into Mobile conference in San Francisco last week, Jon Rubinstein, former Palm CEO and current head of HP's mobile devices business unit, said CEO Leo Apotheker is "really jazzed about having webOS."

    Tablets running webOS have been on HP's agenda since acquiring Palm back in April. After the deal was revealed, Todd Bradley, executive vice president of HP's Personal Systems Group, said one of HP's main goals with webOS would be to leverage Palm's large developer base and its base of more than 2,000 apps.

    HP also see webOS as a platform for delivering cloud-based services. In October, Stephen DeWitt, senior vice president and general manager of HP's Personal Systems Group, Americas, said HP sees webOS as one of the pillars of its cloud computing strategy.

    "Storage is going to be in the cloud, and content is going be in the cloud. Everything with a digital heartbeat is going to be connected, and the way we're going to connect it all together is webOS," DeWitt said at an industry event in San Francisco.

    Buying Palm was necessary move on HP's part given the head start that Apple and Google have achieved in the smartphone and tablet space. But despite the lead time that will have elapsed between the Palm acquisition and webOS tablets hitting the market, Rick Chernick, president of Camera Corner/Connecting Point, a Green Bay, Wis.-based solution provider, believes webOS tablets will be viable competitors to the iPad.

    "Considering the time HP has had to circle the wagons and figure out where they want to go, and the R&D they're putting behind this, it would be very surprising if they were to come out with something that's subpar," Chernick said.

    One key to the success of webOS tablets will be to have apps available for various industry verticals on day one, according to Chernick, who's seeing particularly strong demand for apps in the health-care and financial sectors.

    "As resellers, we need to take those tablets and have specific and useful apps available so that customers can quickly realize a return on their investment," Chernick said.

    Next: How The Windows 7 HP Slate 500 Has Fared



    Page 2 of 2

    Customers haven't yet warmed to the Slate 500, a Windows 7 based tablet that's priced at $800 and aimed mainly at business users.

    HP (NYSE:HPQ) itself appears to have hedged its bets with the Slate 500, reportedly limiting production to 5,000 units and subsequently boasting of "extraordinary demand" for the Slate 500 once the product sold out. The Slate 500 may yet achieve booming sales, but it would be difficult to call its initial foray into Windows 7 tablets a success at this point.

    But while webOS will give HP another shot at breaking into the tablet market, Palm wasn't exactly lighting up the smartphone industry with the Palm Pre and Palm Pixi. HP will have to show that it's capable of taking a promising but unproven mobile OS and turning it into something that will draw developers' and customers' attention away from iOS and Android.

    BMO Capital Markets analyst Keith Bachman, who this week predicted that webOS tablets will arrive in March, doesn't see webOS as a game changer, but merely a "niche market", as reported by Forbes.

    For a company of HP's size, achieving niche market status seems a laughably modest goal, but it might just be enough to get the boulder rolling and put HP within striking distance of the mobile industry hotshots.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    One key to the success of webOS tablets will be to have apps available for various industry verticals on day one, according to Chernick, who's seeing particularly strong demand for apps in the health-care and financial sectors.
    Health-care? That is true. No Epocrates on day 1 for the new tablet would hurt, indeed. All bets are off on that one, though.
  3. #3  
    Been saying this all along, tablet first phone second. If there must be a phone release it needs to be with a tablet too. And get those financial apps, Citrix, Word/Excel/PP capable Doc app, slick RDP/VNC app and above par mail app, etc. Forget the BS like Angry Birds and We Farrm please.
  4. #4  
    Couple of problems with this article:
    Since when does palm have a large developer base?
    And if palm looks to make a dent in the healthcare field, they have to bring epocrates back into the fold. Please refer to the epocrates thread on precentral to see the unfortunate dev relations responses to my plea for making webos more relevant in the healthcare field.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Been saying this all along, tablet first phone second. If there must be a phone release it needs to be with a tablet too. And get those financial apps, Citrix, Word/Excel/PP capable Doc app, slick RDP/VNC app and above par mail app, etc. Forget the BS like Angry Birds and We Farrm please.
    I disagree completely. Tablets aren't that great for word processing. (I like Palm because touchscreen keyboards are broken.)

    What tablets ARE good for is gaming. Arguably, the entire touchscreen revolution we're having right now is due to the fact that working with a touchscreen is just more FUN than working with a stylus/touchpad/mouse.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Health-care? That is true. No Epocrates on day 1 for the new tablet would hurt, indeed. All bets are off on that one, though.
    Well they need some enterprise stuff too like a Citrix receiver otherwise it won't take off.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  7. #7  
    its not so much 'i like this tablet so I'm going to buy a phone'.. What it is is 'wow I love webos and I wonder if its really good on a cell phone'

    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    The key to getting a tablet OS off the ground is to get units into the hands of consumers first. The only reason why we have $5 - $10 productivity apps is that they are being pitched to consumers first and will later be adopted by businesses. If we relied on business to be the initial adopters like PCs then this software would be $50 or more.

    And nobody goes to buy a tablet and then suddenly realizes that they are in the market for a phone so I don't see a tablet OS helping the smartphone OS sibling anymore than a PC operating system helps a tablet.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Well they need some enterprise stuff too like a Citrix receiver otherwise it won't take off.
    Very true. If implemented well, Citrix would be pretty useful on a tablet device.
  9. #9  
    not sure if i like the way palm/hp are going with this. id like to hear more of new smartphones than constantly hearing of tablets.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by choiceofgames View Post
    ...What tablets ARE good for is gaming. Arguably, the entire touchscreen revolution we're having right now is due to the fact that working with a touchscreen is just more FUN than working with a stylus/touchpad/mouse.
    Actually, what tablets are "perfect" for is corporate field work. Our company ordered 4 of the Slates for our field surveyors, and just landed an other project that we need 5 more of them for - but had to pick up netbooks for those employees because we can't order more Slates.

    People think tablets are gaming platforms, don't realize just how HUGE the corporate market is for these things. We are just one company and ordered 4 on day one... our partner firms ordered several, and we will order many more once another Enterprise device comes out.
  11. #11  
    Let's be clear. The modern tablet craze is not about touchscreens or any generic detail. It can be summed up in one word: iPad. Everyone is trying to talk around the 800LB gorilla in the room. Go read the latest post in the thread, "Why HP Should Be Very Afraid of the iPad" in Other Handhelds.

    Businesses have already adopted the iPad as their tablet of choice, and that increases by the day. Further, enterprise customers already know of the existence of other tablets, present and future. They have seen the prototypes and worked with shipping units. An overwhelming majority of them are very satisfied with the iPad. The majority of businesses that have used the Slate are not satisfied.

    wOS will not change the playing field. In a world where the iPad doesn't exist, there is no huge demand for tablets. We have already experienced that world. There is no "tablet" market; there is an iPad market. There is no evidence that consumers or businesses are flocking to anything else. The pPad will succeed only insofar as it can mimic an iPad in form and function, and undercut the price.

    That is not to say that there won't be a secondary market for anti-Apple iPad clones. It will just be a small and pathetic market for the foreseeable future.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Let's be clear. The modern tablet craze is not about touchscreens or any generic detail. It can be summed up in one word: iPad. Everyone is trying to talk around the 800LB gorilla in the room. Go read the latest post in the thread, "Why HP Should Be Very Afraid of the iPad" in Other Handhelds.

    Businesses have already adopted the iPad as their tablet of choice, and that increases by the day. Further, enterprise customers already know of the existence of other tablets, present and future. They have seen the prototypes and worked with shipping units. An overwhelming majority of them are very satisfied with the iPad. The majority of businesses that have used the Slate are not satisfied.

    wOS will not change the playing field. In a world where the iPad doesn't exist, there is no huge demand for tablets. We have already experienced that world. There is no "tablet" market; there is an iPad market. There is no evidence that consumers or businesses are flocking to anything else. The pPad will succeed only insofar as it can mimic an iPad in form and function, and undercut the price.

    That is not to say that there won't be a secondary market for anti-Apple iPad clones. It will just be a small and pathetic market for the foreseeable future.
    I enjoyed reading your bold and conclusory statements.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    I enjoyed reading your bold and conclusory statements.
    Perhaps you will like reading these even more:

    Like in the consumer market, customer satisfaction with the iPad in enterprise is head and shoulders above its peers. iPad users were 69 percent "very satisfied," compared to 23 percent for an HP tablet and 12 percent for Dell.

    While current tablet usage sits at 7 percent, the survey found that it is set to double to 14 percent in the next quarter. That indicates that the total number of companies deploying tablets is set to double in the next three months.

    And although there are new options on the market like the Samsung Galaxy Tab, companies have indicated they are sticking with the iPad. Of those surveyed, 78 percent said they plan to buy an iPad versus competing tablets. Dell and Research in Motion were tied in a distant second place with 9 percent each.
    AppleInsider | As corporate interest in tablets spikes, Apple's iPad remains tops
  14. #14  
    Tablets are great for business solutions, and I hope to get a PalmPad in the near future! I am holding out for one! It would be easier to bring around than my laptop!


    My Themes:CLICK HERE
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Let's be clear. The modern tablet craze is not about touchscreens or any generic detail. It can be summed up in one word: iPad. Everyone is trying to talk around the 800LB gorilla in the room. Go read the latest post in the thread, "Why HP Should Be Very Afraid of the iPad" in Other Handhelds.

    Businesses have already adopted the iPad as their tablet of choice, and that increases by the day. Further, enterprise customers already know of the existence of other tablets, present and future. They have seen the prototypes and worked with shipping units. An overwhelming majority of them are very satisfied with the iPad. The majority of businesses that have used the Slate are not satisfied.

    wOS will not change the playing field. In a world where the iPad doesn't exist, there is no huge demand for tablets. We have already experienced that world. There is no "tablet" market; there is an iPad market. There is no evidence that consumers or businesses are flocking to anything else. The pPad will succeed only insofar as it can mimic an iPad in form and function, and undercut the price.

    That is not to say that there won't be a secondary market for anti-Apple iPad clones. It will just be a small and pathetic market for the foreseeable future.
    OhMyGoodness. So much malarky, and so little time and space.

    Some businesses have adopted the iPad. Most have not. Not even "most" of the businesses that see a need for such a device. Many businesses view Apple as too propriatary, and too closed (hardware-wise).

    I suspect there well be many devices similar to the iPad, but they won't be "clones" (most of the functionality folks are looking for pre-existed the iPad), and the competition will be far less "pathetic" than the competition of Apple in the personal computer market.

    I think your Apple fanship is showing just a tad...
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Some businesses have adopted the iPad. Most have not. Not even "most" of the businesses that see a need for such a device. Many businesses view Apple as too propriatary, and too closed (hardware-wise).
    What are these businesses that are adopting tablets other than the iPad?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    What are these businesses that are adopting tablets other than the iPad?
    I don't think I mentioned anything about businesses that are adopting tablets other than the iPad. I've said that most businesses have not adopted the iPad. They haven't. Most businesses have not adopted any type of slate device.

    However, I'm sure there are some that have adopted other brands. One person on here has already mentioned that his company immediately ordered HP slates.
  18. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Perhaps you will like reading these even more:



    [url= | As corporate interest in tablets spikes, Apple's iPad remains tops[/url]
    I see this as evidence that OS's not optimized for tablets don't work well on Tablets.

    Android is an OS optimized for phones, Windows 7 is an OS optimized for Desktops.
    With the iPad iOS was specifically customized for the tablet. I'm optimistic about WebOSWorld's rumor that webOS will have a "specialized" version for tablets.
    I see the potential for success on Windows tablets if Microsoft either A) creates a decent shell for Windows 7 or B) scales up a version of Windows Phone 7 secifically for tablets.
    A future release of Android designed for tablets would give the OS a better chance at tablet success.

    Meego looks awesome on tablets, just isn't marketed competitively erm...at all.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by choiceofgames View Post
    I disagree completely. Tablets aren't that great for word processing. (I like Palm because touchscreen keyboards are broken.)

    What tablets ARE good for is gaming. Arguably, the entire touchscreen revolution we're having right now is due to the fact that working with a touchscreen is just more FUN than working with a stylus/touchpad/mouse.
    You can disagree all you want, but your out of the loop friend.

    For starters:
    Item 1

    Item 2

    Item 3

    Item 4

    In regard to gaming, yeah simple disposable games.

    Do you even have a tablet, and if so do you work in an enterprise environment?

    A webOS tablet would be a great addition because it would come from one company, sort of like the iPad.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    OhMyGoodness. So much malarky, and so little time and space.

    Some businesses have adopted the iPad. Most have not. Not even "most" of the businesses that see a need for such a device. Many businesses view Apple as too propriatary, and too closed (hardware-wise).

    I suspect there well be many devices similar to the iPad, but they won't be "clones" (most of the functionality folks are looking for pre-existed the iPad), and the competition will be far less "pathetic" than the competition of Apple in the personal computer market.

    I think your Apple fanship is showing just a tad...
    How are you calling something malarky when you have just as much fluff in your "opinion". So what if the device is propriatary and closed, for some business that's fine. Just hand a device to an employee with a custom app developed by your business and tell him "Get to work". For field work it may not be necessary to have a totally open system, just one that works, and is convenient. And for those busniess that need more flexibility there will other devices, like a webOS tablet.

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    snip...
    However, I'm sure there are some that have adopted other brands. One person on here has already mentioned that his company immediately ordered HP slates.
    I read through some of your post and sometimes you make sense, sometimes you just spout of stuff with little research.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions