Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    How are you calling something malarky when you have just as much fluff in your "opinion". So what if the device is propriatary and closed, for some business that's fine. Just hand a device to an employee with a custom app developed by your business and tell him "Get to work". For field work it may not be necessary to have a totally open system, just one that works, and is convenient. And for those busniess that need more flexibility there will other devices, like a webOS tablet.
    Apparently you misunderstood what I wrote. The question wasn't whether or not businesses had a use for a tablet, the proposition being posed was that Apple has a lock on it. They don't. Some busines, many business will not buy Apple hardware because of the nature of the product in general. Those businesses won't suddenly change course because of the iPad, if there are other choices available.

I agree, for some businesses a closed system is fine, my point was (and is) that for many, it's not.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    I read through some of your post and sometimes you make sense, sometimes you just spout of stuff with little research.
    Newsflash for you, not "sometimes", try "almost all of the time". This is a discussion forum. I'm not getting paid to write here. If I have to do research, any serious research, I want to get paid. I wrote for some tech magazines in the past, it's boring.

Yeah, virtually all of what I write on here is me just spouting off, off the top of my head.

I stand by what I said in this case. The implication that iPad has the business world locked up is nonsense.
    My small firm just handed out free ipads. But more of a way to keep employees happy and morale up. They have no business use for us in the accounting world.

The best use of my ipad is watching my 4 yr old play with it. I consider it hers for the most part. But i could see it being useful for niche companies. Still, it's nothing more than a big iphone..an entertainment/media device...far from a PC. I still hate to see people refer to an ipad as a tablet computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    My small firm just handed out free ipads. But more of a way to keep employees happy and morale up. They have no business use for us in the accounting world.

The best use of my ipad is watching my 4 yr old play with it. I consider it hers for the most part. But i could see it being useful for niche companies. Still, it's nothing more than a big iphone..an entertainment/media device...far from a PC. I still hate to see people refer to an ipad as a tablet computer.
    I got a call from a company about a week after the iPad came out. One of the VPs had gotten one, and had an "aha" moment on how they could use one for all of their salespeople in the field.

They could have an app created that would allow the sales reps to fill out application forms (in the field) then have all of the data synchronize.

When approached about it, I told him they should not attempt to synchronize the data, but should do it to a live back end over the internet. I also asked him why limit it to an iPad? Why not make it a web based form, with a MySQL database on the back end, and let them update it from an iPad, and any other device that was connected.

He sought out another consultant.

I found out recently the entire idea was struck down, the expense of buying iPads and developing the software was cost prohibitive.

Interestingly, if they had gone with the web based system I mentioned, I could have done it for them less than the cost of 2-3 iPads.

What happened with them is what I think is going to happen with at lot of folks with the iPad. They're going to see things they never thought of before, and somehow think it's unique to the iPad, when the capabilities have been there all along with existing devices and technologies, just missing the "look how cool this is" factor.

I think because of the popularity of the iPad at the consumer level, we're going to hear a lot of scenarios like the one above, that are going to ultimately never get past the "hey, wouldn't this be cool" phase.

And I still got to bill two hours for my time. See, even I have things about the iPad that I like
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12