1.    #1  
    I have been curious about this since the release of iOS 4.2.1 Why does it appear that HP is working closer with Apple than Palm on this? I know that much of this is Apple's work. But, it seems that some type of integration with wOS and printers should have happened by now, certainly before Apple introduced driverless printing. Might there be a technical reason someone is aware of?
    I am able to print just fine wiht my Hp eprint printer. I email the document to my printer regardless of the format and it prints.
    Palm OS could print...
  4.    #4  
    Sure. So can I. That is a function of the printer, not the OS. Apple integrates printing at the OS level. That seems strange since HP makes the printers and owns a mobile OS.
    don't know but i've never wanted to print anything on my phone. if i did however i'm fine with emailing it to myself and printing it there. but that's likely never going to be something i need to do. anything i print is from my desktop or laptop. That' s why i never get the whole hp webos printer strategy thing. to me its a solution looking for a problem. Like New Coke.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    don't know but i've never wanted to print anything on my phone. if i did however i'm fine with emailing it to myself and printing it there. but that's likely never going to be something i need to do. anything i print is from my desktop or laptop. That' s why i never get the whole hp webos printer strategy thing. to me its a solution looking for a problem. Like New Coke.
    I like the cool factor. I get to startle the wife when the printer starts printing all of a sudden. lol She always thinks she broke something.
  7.    #7  
    Completely agree. I have an AirPrint enabled printer and three iOS 4.2.1 devices in the house. Other than testing the feature to see if it worked, I have never used it. Still, it is the sort of thing that Palm could use as a bullet point. Ironically, Apple is the only one who has it, and they have partnered with HP first. Perhaps, someone should remind HP that they sell smartphones that could use a little boost in the market.

Could it be that HP does not own any of the iP and that it is Apple sauce that makes it work? Could it be that wOS just doesn't have the infrastructure for OS level, driverless printing? It just makes the Pre and HP look a little silly. I was hoping someone knew of a technical explanation that would clear things up a bit.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    lol, printing doesn't sell smartphones. it sells ink and that makes a lot of money so you put it on the popular platforms. same reason why apple puts itunes on pc. it's where the money is. right now there's no hurry to put it on webos when the user base is too small to make much money from ink sales. as for whether webOS is capable, they are making a webOS printer after all.
    what is wOS?
    i got my printer from the dumpster. it's damn good too. (people throw our perfectly good stuff). Plus my parents break a computer about once a year (100% user error) and they seem to get a free printer with every purchase so when this one dies i already got one waiting in the wings. If people have to buy new printers then it wouldn't be very appealing i'd bet to most people.

Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    what is wOS?
    something from "hpalm" apparently.
    Maybe he means Steve wOSniak?

Five euros on that feature coming in the next major (2.x) update? i.e. "in the coming months"
    Why should I care either way?
    The ink in my printer is going dry - because I don't even bother printing from my main computer anymore.

Paper is so 20th century. Copy/Paste is totally broken on that medium. Editing is also in a bad shape and needs you to paint white fluid on it's "screen".
    Links don't work either.

Paper is terrible hardware.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    It's a feature I would use, but not something I would consider a killer/ must have option.
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Why should I care either way?
    The ink in my printer is going dry - because I don't even bother printing from my main computer anymore.

Paper is so 20th century. Copy/Paste is totally broken on that medium. Editing is also in a bad shape and needs you to paint white fluid on it's "screen".
    Links don't work either.

Paper is terrible hardware.
    Agreed 1000% I've had my latest PC/Printer for 2.5 years and changed the ink twice....once because it dried out. The only thing my printer has been useful for has been the scan feature.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  15.    #15  
    I agree. Printing from these devices is somewhat useless. Then again, I think printing from a computer is somewhat useless. We should be past this by now, but we're not. More and more, people are using smartphones as portable computers. As such, they need the functionality of printing, just like a traditional computer.

Furthermore, I can assure you that HP does not see printing as a useless feature. They believe in it with all their heart. When they saw wOS, the first thing they thought to do with it was to slap it on printers. They are all about getting people to print. So the original question is still valid, and as yet, unanswered.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Then again, I think printing from a computer is somewhat useless.
    I think that is an oversimplification. i don't print too much from home but in the rest of the world paper is require or extremely useful. Many legal documents need to be on paper. Many require some sort of hard record. Many court filings need to be printed on paper. It's not always feasible to make presentations in a digital format. Many people, me included prefer to make preliminary edits on paper rather then in a computer then go back later and ad them because it's easier that way and you can see more of the document. A paperless world may work for some people for lots of industries it's just not remotely feasible or desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Furthermore, I can assure you that HP does not see printing as a useless feature. They believe in it with all their heart.
    yep. to them it is. HP's revenue comes largely from computer sales and printers along with enterprise solutions. But small consumer devices is not their strong suit. So i'm not surprised that they would seek to add to those two big profit sources by adding two them, tablets to the computer group, and webos printers to the printer group. I just happen to think that unlike mobile phones which are growing massively and will continue to grow, computers and printers won't that much and that there is little desire for this service in printers. my 2 cents.
  17.    #17  
    yep. to them it is. HP's revenue comes largely from computer sales and printers along with enterprise solutions. But small consumer devices is not their strong suit. So i'm not surprised that they would seek to add to those two big profit sources by adding two them, tablets to the computer group, and webos printers to the printer group. I just happen to think that unlike mobile phones which are growing massively and will continue to grow, computers and printers won't that much and that there is little desire for this service in printers. my 2 cents.
    I don't understand this part. wOS was built for small consumer devices. If that is not what HP wanted to pursue, then why the heck did they buy Palm? If they only have interest in enterprise solutions, why are they partnering with Apple to make printing available from small, consumer devices? If HP has a strategy, it is not clear what it is.
    Is it really that difficult to type the two extra letters (eb)??