Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Back when Palm put itself up for sell a lot of Companies started bidding on Palm, including RIM, RIM had the highest bid until someone on the inside told HP they were outbid.HP outbids RIM. RIM gets super angry and vows to beat HP to market with their webos tablet first..................Or they simply know webOS is the best OS and RIM knows it
    I think your onto something, I think someone at RIM said they shouldn't buy Palm and that they don't need webOS because they could make something similar on their own, now they are following through on what the said
    I think your right. Blackberry see's how good palm os ui was so they are buikding to it.

more competition! Yay!
    Wait! I think you're onto something.
    Oh...no...
    bummer...
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    I fail to see RIMs copy of webos and yes I have watched the playbook videos.
    or, they copied it because it's brilliant. just like everyone copied pinch/zoom from iOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    I fail to see RIMs copy of webos and yes I have watched the playbook videos.
    they copied the card UI AND the swipe gestures, they still ARE getting a stuttery animation and that's with a dual core chip, when you say you don't see the imitation, what do you mean?
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    they copied the card UI AND the swipe gestures, they still ARE getting a stuttery animation and that's with a dual core chip, when you say you don't see the imitation, what do you mean?
    The playbook apps look like windows not cards and having them side by side is no different than programs on the desktop. Not to mention you could say palm just ripped android multi home screen setup re coined it as cards.

Gestures about the only thing stolen is what function the gesture serves as in up closes apps. We have been swiping left, right and down for some time switching launcher pages in iOS or home screens in android. So only the function given to the gesture is being copied.
    I don't know if I would go as far as saying RIM made the Playbook to spite HP/Palm, but I think they were certainly influenced by webOS.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    ...they still ARE getting a stuttery animation and that's with a dual core chip, when you say you don't see the imitation, what do you mean?

LOL, are you saying Palm patented stutter and screen lag?

best. post. today.
    I'm so confused. I thought copying was a good thing, and more competition was always good for the consumer. Could it be that copying is only good when it is copying Apple and diluting their products? Hmmm... that must be it.
    If that wasn't bad enough already:
    http://i52.tinypic.com/raxlbr.jpg
    Anyone else see that Videos app? Remind anyone of, say, the Palm webOS videos app icon? Hey, me too. If they think making it purple and changing the size of the lines on the top of the thing that goes snap makes it not blatant infringement, I don't know what is.
    Notice how HP didnt have a mobile software team before Palm and RIM did?

HP had never made an OS for mobile prior to buying Palm, they didnt even have the team in place to do it.

RIM on the other hand has made their own OS for years and they have that team already in place.

It wouldnt make sense for RIM to buy Palm, they already had a solid software team in place.

Its much cheaper to just "borrow" ideas than buy them. Especially when you already have software programmers capable of doing it.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbeiser View Post
    If that wasn't bad enough already:
    http://i52.tinypic.com/raxlbr.jpg
    Anyone else see that Videos app? Remind anyone of, say, the Palm webOS videos app icon? Hey, me too. If they think making it purple and changing the size of the lines on the top of the thing that goes snap makes it not blatant infringement, I don't know what is.
    Hey that wifi & blue tooth icon in the top bar look familiar too.
    Hey that wifi & blue tooth icon in the top bar look familiar too.
    I don't know where you're from, but where I'm from, it's not like it's an instinctive thing to say "Lets make our videos icon a clapperboard with a bright play arrow in the center and the top part slightly lifted, with the actual board coloured a bright color, even though the rest of our OS uses icons that are supposed to look like cubes."

If anyone else is unconvinced: BlackBerry PlayBook hands-on video demo | BGR | Boy Genius Report
    Gestures about the only thing stolen is what function the gesture serves as in up closes apps. We have been swiping left, right and down for some time switching launcher pages in iOS or home screens in android. So only the function given to the gesture is being copied.
    My head. Asploded.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I'm convinced too. It was the butler in the library with a candlestick.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cujoq37 View Post
    I'm convinced too. It was the butler in the library with a candlestick.
    This made me literally laugh out loud.

Oh, and I agree, to a degree