Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm not usually one to start rumor threads, but here you go, FWIW. Just dangling some carrots.

From Engadget: "We can't begin explain our exasperation at running a Samsung Galaxy Tab on Sprint's 3G, knowing full well the WiMAX airwaves floating just overhead could make our experience speedy. Thankfully, we won't have to dwell on our frustration for long, because a Sprint executive told Forbes that a 4G tablet will arrive in 2011. Sprint's Paget Alves, president of business markets, wouldn't say where it would be made, but hinted that the company intends to sell tablets running different operating systems -- so it's probably not another Android device. What could it be, then? We can't say, but paired with the knowledge that Verizon also plans to debut LTE tablets in 2011 -- possibly including one Motorola Stingray -- it seems like 2011 will be a fine year for goodies on CDMA."

Original source

Sprint Says 4G Tablet Coming In 2011, 80% Of CIOs Want To Buy Tablets - Elizabeth Woyke - Mobilized - Forbes
    hellaluya
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    was just about to post this.. could it be!? please oh please oh please buddha, jesus, allah, jah, god, let this be the PALMPAD!
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    was just about to post this.. could it be!? please oh please oh please buddha, jesus, allah, jah, god, let this be the PALMPAD!
    please be a palmpad with better battery life than 3 hours....
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    It could be the Blackberry Playbook.
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    It could be the Blackberry Playbook.
    That's effectively running a stolen version of the webOS UI anyway
    Whatever it is, I hope there's a Wi-Fi only version available. I'm sick of getting nickeled and dimed by the carriers.
    I just posted something about this but was referencing the tablet called the Motorola 'Stingray'. I remembered that a codename in WebOS doctor had the same name. Just thought that was kinda ....nice/weird.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Sprint Pre retired....Motorola Photon (for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthRepublican View Post
    Whatever it is, I hope there's a Wi-Fi only version available. I'm sick of getting nickeled and dimed by the carriers.
    The first version of the BB Playbook to be released is the WiFi only version. RIM could release it in January.

When you connect the BB Playbook via secure Bluetooth to a BB Phone, you have access to all the BB servers and apps without have a second PIN. This works like the Palm Foleo, what you see on the BB Phone is mirrored and controlled from the BB Playbook.
    A Sprint rep mentioned a WebOS tablet to me a couple days before this announcement.

I know I know, Sprint reps don't know anything and will say anything to get your attention, but the coincidence is notable.
    "...human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together! MASS HYSTERIA!"

-Ghostbusters
    Here's a link to an article about this on Got To Be Mobile.

Sprint to Expand Tablet Portfolio in 2011

The following from the article leads me to believe that the BB Playbook is coming to Sprint.

"Alves wouldn’t detail what sorts of tablets the nation’s third largest mobile provider would be bringing to its portfolio, but Alves mentioned that a lot of CIOs have been asking about the RIM BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, which will be met with a number of competitors when it launches in 2011. Sprint currently only offers the Samsung Galaxy Tab right now, which runs on the Android operating system."
    Hiya,

I also was about to post the same article....let's see what happens.

Take care and have a great weekend, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Why on God's green (currently white) earth do you people want tablets? You can't use them for phones, you can't fit the damn things in your pants or purse. Do you want to carry two devices with you. Do you really think you'll be "stylin" lugging one to a club with you? Quit being tech lemmings and demand more capable, powerful, and functional smartphones from your carriers and manufactures! Damn.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mhumke View Post
    Why on God's green (currently white) earth do you people want tablets? You can't use them for phones, you can't fit the damn things in your pants or purse. Do you want to carry two devices with you. Do you really think you'll be "stylin" lugging one to a club with you? Quit being tech lemmings and demand more capable, powerful, and functional smartphones from your carriers and manufactures! Damn.
    different strokes for different folks....

I have lots of different devices- a Pre, an iPod touch, a netbook, a laptop, a homePC(server), and as of 2 days ago- a nook color e-reader/android tablet. (Froyo 2.2 coming via OTA update in Jan)

They all serve unique purposes and although, I don't carry them all around at one time, I love having options....

I'm also looking forward to a Pre2 combined w/ a PalmPad.

Tablets will be a part of future computing/communication, just look at StarTrek, they've been using Pad-type devices for years! :-)

Different devices, for different needs/uses. I, for one, love having options...
    For me, right now:

Smart phone - on the go, on foot, meetings
    Notebook - home use, work travel
    ereader - books at home or travel, e-ink is easier on the eyes and has better battery life

A tablet would fill the gaps. Sure, it's not strictly necessary...but none of those other things are technically "necessary" for my day-to-day existence. A tablet would be great for leisure travel, fun at home for just sitting on the couch and playing a game or reading news, etc. It could serve light work purposes in a pinch and would keep me connected without the heavy lifting of my notebook or the headaches of trying to keep my eyes focused on a tiny 3" to 4" smartphone screen. To me, netbooks and portable DVD players become obsolete in the face of the new tablet influx.
    Multiple devices? Sure, I've got em...

Abacus - for detailed engineering calculations...and it is soothing to hear the little beads clacking against each other...

Slate - for cleaning...

Scribing rod - to open up a whole new world with my Slate...

Fire - not sure what to do with this one yet, but it's all the rage...do you smell smoke?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I'm looking at going with a tablet instead of a new laptop. My "laptop" typically stays home, but travels with me when I need to. Unfortunately, while a laptop is small enough to pack up and carry with you somewhere else, it's too big to easily move it from room to room. A tablet would take care of that.

I'm hoping that by the time I'm ready to buy, there will be enough cloud services that a tablet will be good for most "around the house" use, and some light "on the road use". I'll still pack up the laptop when I have to travel.

Now, a question for you. Why would someone so disinterested in tablet computers read a thread titled Sprint Says 4G Tablet Coming In 2011?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm looking at going with a tablet instead of a new laptop. My "laptop" typically stays home, but travels with me when I need to. Unfortunately, while a laptop is small enough to pack up and carry with you somewhere else, it's too big to easily move it from room to room. A tablet would take care of that.

I'm hoping that by the time I'm ready to buy, there will be enough cloud services that a tablet will be good for most "around the house" use, and some light "on the road use". I'll still pack up the laptop when I have to travel.
    I feel the same way. My core computer for work is a laptop. It travels between my house and my office and with me on multi-day trips. It's what I use when I'm in one place and need to produce stuff (software, presentations, finances, etc). I typically use it as a desktop with a 24-inch screen, mouse and external keyboard.

My tablet (iPad) travels with me to work. From work, it goes to all of my meetings (for notes, todos, emails, quick taskers), to all of my clients around town (presentations, notes, sharing docs, planning, et al), and on short (day or overnight) trips. Its 1.5 pounds (plus 3 oz charger for trips) are minimal and it's perfect for all-day computing with its instant on-off and long battery life.

My phone is for calls, voicemail, texting, and email-on-the-go. Anything more demanding just doesn't cut it with its tiny 4.3 inch, low resolution screen and thumb-only keyboard. For anything requiring production (docs, spreadsheets, presentations, long emails, meeting notes) while on-the-go, the tablet is a much better choice than either the phone or my laptop.

...and I carry it around in something I would carry with me anyway. This:
    http://cdn.medgestore.com/images/pro...tail22-med.jpg
    Hi all,

The only reason why I MIGHT get one is for my Mom, she is 87, I bought her a laptop but it is a bit much for her....I often find articles online that interest her and print them out...I would like to be able to send them to her by use of a PalmPad. Otherwise my G/F and I see now need for them.....

Take care all,

Jay
    PS I hope you are all warm and didn't get overly effected by the snow..... Here in central FL it went down to 27 and he had yet another killing frost. My Property has 5 extremely old and very tall (& Wide), Southern Oaks, which trap the ground heat in, since about 3/4 of the leaves stay on the trees during the winter, thus minimizing the frost damage. However, the golf course across from my house was glazed with a heavy frost!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    PS I hope you are all warm and didn't get overly effected by the snow..... Here in central FL it went down to 27 and he had yet another killing frost. My Property has 5 extremely old and very tall (& Wide), Southern Oaks, which trap the ground heat in, since about 3/4 of the leaves stay on the trees during the winter, thus minimizing the frost damage. However, the golf course across from my house was glazed with a heavy frost!
    I'm in NW Hillsborough County and the frost was thick enough to give the appearance of snow (it was literally 1/8th inch thick in some places. The water in the bird bath was frozen solid. Thankfully, I had pulled in the tropical plants that are still in containers.

Back on topic, I personally think tablets are an idea that people have wanted to see, but they were always too bulky, and the OS running them wasn't very good. (i.e. old Windows). The iPad is doing so well because iOS lends itself to the experience. Android isn't too bad, but it still feels clunky and I feel like I'm in a box with a controlled environment. The iPad as more of a portable computer experience which is why it's been so successful. I think this type of experience is also what will make the palmPad successful, as it has the open OS feel with an experience designed for a touch environment. It is also designed to scale and ultimately should be able to provide a better experience than the iPad if done right.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast