Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's kinda annoying that whenever someone shares information they learned about future webos phones coming to sprint there is always people bashing them. I highly doubt that people have the time in the day to make up wild rumors about new sprint phones. I doubt even more that they would take the time to put the information in a forum just to toy with people. If you don't believe them fine, but don't attack them. They are trying to let you know something that they didn't have to share
    Did you really have to start a new thread to say this? I think you could have posted this in any of the 40 or so threads about rumored devices....
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by el_dheeb View Post
    I highly doubt that people have the time in the day to make up wild rumors about new sprint phones. I doubt even more that they would take the time to put the information in a forum just to toy with people.
    New to the internet huh? Welcome.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    Most of the attacks I've seen aren't claiming the poster is making things up, they're claiming that the poster's "source" isn't in any way reliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Sometimes you can't always believe what you hear or see...
    Sometimes you can't always ?

Seriously though, this is a discussion forum. When someone hears something about new devices, it's entirely apporopriate for them to post it here. They shouldn't have to do with disclaimers such as "I know it may be just a rumor" - but around here these days, they do. Why? Because there's a vocal few who are ready to pounce on any possible positive news about Palm or the Pre and discredit not only the information, but the person who dared post something positive.

You folks know who you are...
    Why is that the Pre 2 coming to Sprint would be positive or negative? If Sprint announced it tomorrow for sale on Sunday, I don't think it would make a lick of difference in the grand scheme of things. Yes, some here would buy it, and I would hope they - and everyone else - enjoy their purchases to the fullest. Then again, the same people who want to believe this want to believe that CES will bring grand announcements that will wash the underwhelming stench of the Pre 2 away and get everyone excited again. In that case, this would actually be bad news, as sales would most certainly be crippled in a matter of weeks.

And there's really no need to "pounce" on rumors like this. You need only remind everyone of the dismal track record of Palm device rumors and dubious sources in this particular subforum. "Discrediting" implies that there was any credit to them in the first place.
    Skepticism and even negativity are useful, sometimes, especially when people are relying on rumors like "the Pre 2 will launch on Verizon on Black Friday" or that "the c40 is delayed but is definitely coming to Sprint" or that "Palm has enough money to last them at least two more years". It helps to reduce those nasty surprises.

Currently, there is a lot of hope of hardware announcements at CES. The reality is that the last time Palm announced hardware at CES it was almost six months before it showed up on the first carrier.
    Well, we kind of have our announcement, straight from Rubinstein.

"Next year". And being that he said it just a few days ago with no specific quarters cited, it's looking oddly like a repeat of "the first half of 2009....uh, I mean, the end of the first half of 2009).
    ...Currently, there is a lot of hope of hardware announcements at CES. The reality is that the last time Palm announced hardware at CES it was almost six months before it showed up on the first carrier.
    And, the further reality is (that some folks seem to want to gloss over) is that said announcement was within the time frame they promised.

But again, we're not discussing actual announcements here, we're talking about what people have heard.

Discussion about what folks have heard from carrier employees, reps, or even those tangently related to the business are appropriate, and the person passing on the information should not be chastised for doing so. That's one of the purposes of the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    And there's really no need to "pounce" on rumors like this. You need only remind everyone of the dismal track record of Palm device rumors and dubious sources in this particular subforum. "Discrediting" implies that there was any credit to them in the first place.
    Some of the more recent folks posting have provable track records, so there is something to be said about their credibility.

Of course, on the topic of credibility - we all see that Palm is still around; but that fact doesn't seem to stop some folks from talking about their coming demise (year after year...).
    The Pre 2 is just a stop gap - to stop potential customers from buying a better phone anytime in the next 1 or 2 years.
    Every phone is designed to stop customers from buying another phone.
    Yawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Some of the more recent folks posting have provable track records, so there is something to be said about their credibility.

Of course, on the topic of credibility - we all see that Palm is still around; but that fact doesn't seem to stop some folks from talking about their coming demise (year after year...).
    Are you referring to HP Palm, the new subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard that purchased the URL, inventory, and intellectual property of the recently deceased Palm? Different logo. Different management. Different funding. Different products supposedly on the way.

I've worked for companies that have been acquired by multinational corporations (including one that Nokia bought). It was made pretty clear that we were (insert large corporation name here) employees, and that our former company had ceased to exist.

Those technicalities aside, you point me out anyone with a solid "track record" regarding future hardware, and I'd be happy to give due consideration to their current rumors. All I see are "I was a Sprint store...." or "A Sprint/Palm rep said....". I can't recall too many people around here scooping Engadget or Boy Genius Report.
    There is no need for bashing, and I feel like this thread is very pointless and should be merged......

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    The Pre 2 is just a stop gap - to stop potential customers from buying a better phone anytime in the next 1 or 2 years.

The Pre 2 is a developer phone - for developers who are targeting phones that aren't being sold by any US carrier.

The Pre 2 is a test phone - to see if carriers will just take any phone and put it on the shelf to see who buys it.
    The Pre 2 was designed months ago by Palm and HP has to source components and set up manufacturing lines so they can recoup the $20 spent on design.
    Are you referring to HP Palm, the new subsidiary of Hewlett-Packard that purchased the URL, inventory, and intellectual property of the recently deceased Palm? Different logo. Different management. Different funding. Different products supposedly on the way.
    Yep, that's the one. Still around. Still making devices. I know, I know, not bankrupt as many predicted (and even now claim), not gone out of business, not all the other negatives that have been around...

I've worked for companies that have been acquired by multinational corporations (including one that Nokia bought). It was made pretty clear that we were (insert large corporation name here) employees, and that our former company had ceased to exist.
    Great, your experience though is not universal. BTW, when you switched companies, was that a failure, or just a change in direction?

Those technicalities aside, you point me out anyone with a solid "track record" regarding future hardware, and I'd be happy to give due consideration to their current rumors. All I see are "I was a Sprint store...." or "A Sprint/Palm rep said....". I can't recall too many people around here scooping Engadget or Boy Genius Report.
    How about we go the other way around. You show me someone who you've chastised and where they were wrong before.

The point that was made was that folks come here to read these types of information. Those that don't like it seem to want to shut it down.

Why? Why would you (or anyone else) care about the rumors? I suspect because such rumors don't fit the goal of discrediting anything/everything positive about Palm.

Even in this very thread, which was about posting of rumors (and folks being chastised for doing so) there was an attempt to turn it into yet another "Pre 2 is so bad" bunch of BS.

I can't help but wonder why some of you guys don't go play with the phones you like,
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Yep, that's the one. Still around. Still making devices. I know, I know, not bankrupt as many predicted (and even now claim), not gone out of business, not all the other negatives that have been around...
    The company is not still around. The intellectual property is. Big difference. Palm created WebOS. HP bought it. That's why it's called HP WebOS. I know Ruby's trying to sell the "parntership" angle, but HP ain't "renting" the IP that Palm created. They own it. Jon Rubinstein was the CEO of Palm. Now, he is a Senior VP at HP. He didn't apply for a new job. He didn't quit. The company he was CEO of ceased to exist.

How about we go the other way around. You show me someone who you've chastised and where they were wrong before.
    Sure. But I asked first, so I insist you go first. If it's not a problem, go ahead and identified who I "chastised" too, and then we'll go from there.

The point that was made was that folks come here to read these types of information. Those that don't like it seem to want to shut it down.
    Why do you keep talking about "liking" or "not liking"? Who tries to shut down said rumors? Someone posts a rumor. Some choose to believe it. Some are skeptical based on the continuous string of vaporware that's been "coming to Sprint" since the C40 was first spotted on an inventory screen over a year ago. That's how rumors work. Choosing to point out the outlandishness of them is hardly shutting it down. The rumor still exists. Anyone can read it. Anyone can comment on it. That's how free discussion works.

Why? Why would you (or anyone else) care about the rumors? I suspect because such rumors don't fit the goal of discrediting anything/everything positive about Palm.
    LOL. I spend almost all of my time here on subforums that discuss HP Palm's position in the market relative to their competition. If I was on a mission to discredit everything about Palm, wouldn't...oh, I dunno...actually hang out in more Palm-centric subforums like the Palm Pre 2 subforum or the Palm Pre one? Homebrew? What about the WebOS general one? No...I stay mostly in "Other Devices" with an occasional detour to "General Palm Chat". Only people interested in those subjects would ever even see my posts. Your suspicions - however outlandish - have to have SOME basis in fact. The facts here don't support them.

Even in these forums, I JUST posted in a thread whose premise was that Google Voice Actions make "Just Type"/Quick Actions obscure that while I enjoy Voice Actions as an Android user, I think Just Type is a great idea as well. It's just not widely available yet.

But keep on with the stereotype. It's funny.

I can't help but wonder why some of you guys don't go play with the phones you like,
    Oh, but I do. But I like discussing companies too. Samsung is boring and mega-successful. HP Palm is an enigma and far from success. Inherently more interesting.
    Reminder to all: the topic is future palm phones, or Palm or HP. The topic is not the characteristics of PreCentral members. Please stay on topic.
  17.    #17  
    The reason i started this as a new thread is because I noticed the negativity in numerous threads--i wasn't about to copy and paste it in each and every one of them. It seems like within the first few replys of each thread is someone calling the poster a liar. If you don't believe the poster, don't pay it any attention. However for people to attack people's credibility is going to do nothing but keep people with information from posting. Again, I started it as a new thread so that more people can see it.
    Is it any wonder why skepticism prevails given how many of these rumors don't work out. Remember how the Pre 2 was hitting Verizon on the 12th...or Black Friday...or November at all? Or the C40, which was not only seen, but was video'd with footage "to come"? Or when HP was going to announce something "as soon as the acquisition was complete"? The only scoop I remember working out was the NFS video, and I was not amongst those who dismissed it instantly and had to eat their words.

Benefit of the doubt has been repeatedly extended and squandered. Hence the attitude. It's not unearned. I am sorry if a new tipster comes along with the scoop of the century, but some unreliable yahoos screwed everything up for you prior to your arrival.
    wow though seeing this thread, and the many others alike just means either as stated by the OP people just want to bash Palm, or just dont believe what people hear. Though even when I was a WM user a decade ago the same went on in those forums wmpower users etc. Though what I always see on here, is a creative way to bash Palm/webos/Hp in every way they can. To me the fact is that there are alot of people who want Palm to fail, and already have moved on. They stick around in hopes to point the finger, and say I told you so finally. So no I don't believe the defensive talks the naw sayers say when explaining,"oh no I like Palm Im just saying....." Ive seen it before and to me facts are facts. So to the OP im sorry to say that this forum in paticular will always be flooded with negative opinions, from people hoping Palm/Webos cease to exist, and that HP falls on there face from the purchase.
    The company is not still around. The intellectual property is. Big difference. Palm created WebOS. HP bought it. That's why it's called HP WebOS. I know Ruby's trying to sell the "parntership" angle, but HP ain't "renting" the IP that Palm created. They own it. Jon Rubinstein was the CEO of Palm. Now, he is a Senior VP at HP. He didn't apply for a new job. He didn't quit. The company he was CEO of ceased to exist.
    By that "standard", Palm failed a long time ago - back when US Robotics bought them out, who was then subsequently bought out by 3Com.

Sure. But I asked first, so I insist you go first. If it's not a problem, go ahead and identified who I "chastised" too, and then we'll go from there.
    Funny, I don't think I mentioned anyone by name, but all one has to do is look around the forums a bit. It's pretty common to see any such announcment pounced on by a few members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast