Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all, I just found this on the NY Times website.

Enjoy, take care,

Jay

Palm Is Far From ‘Game Over,’ Says Former ChiefBy JENNA WORTHAM, December 7, 2010, 6:53 pm

When Hewlett-Packard, the world’s largest computer maker, acquired Palm, the struggling maker of the Pre and Pixi smartphones, in late April, it was a much-needed lifeline for a company that was battling to stay afloat in a increasingly fierce mobile landscape.

Jon Rubinstein operates Palm’s global business unit within Hewlett-Packard.Jon Rubinstein, the former chief executive of Palm who now operates Palm’s global business unit within H.P., says the company simply “ran out of runway.” He spoke Tuesday on stage at the D: Dive into Mobile conference in San Francisco,

“When we looked out forward, we saw a very clear way to get the company to profitability, but what we didn’t see was a way to get to scale,” Mr. Rubinstein said.

The company was flush with cash and healthy carrier relationships, but “given how large the competition was, between Apple and Google, we were a small successful company but that’s not long-term sustainable,” he said.

Palm considered several options, Mr. Rubinstein said, including raising additional venture financing and partnerships. But ultimately, it decided that being acquired made the most financial sense. Six companies vied to purchase Palm, he said.

“At the end of the day, it felt like the most expeditious outcome was to partner with someone like H.P and move forward,” he said.

The deal, he said, made sense for H.P., which gained access to Palm’s homegrown software for phones and tablets, as a way to quickly mount a mobile strategy to remain competitive amid the coming wave of tablets and mobile devices.

“H.P. didn’t have a mobile strategy,” Mr. Rubinstein said. “A company like H.P. needs to be in control of its own strategy.”

“This is not ‘game over,’” he added.

Mr. Rubinstein emphasized that although the company was in something of a quiet period, it was rapidly working on a new slate of smartphones and tablet computers. He did not say specifically when they would be announced, other than to say it would happen next year.

“A year from now, this will be a very different conversation,” Mr. Rubinstein said. “We’ve got a variety of radically new products coming out.”
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Healthy carrier relationships?

Come oooonnnn!
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
    yep, SFR really likes them.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    "radically new products" gets me pretty excited though, but then again, I get pretty excited about any hint of new webOS products on the way
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    “A year from now, this will be a very different conversation,” Mr. Rubinstein said. “We’ve got a variety of radically new products coming out.”
    Radically new? I really hope that in his mind he believes that what they are bringing is BEYOND what is currently out there, that they have a fundamentally different vision for mobile than what is currently available. It's encouraging to hear him talking that way, but talking and doing...two different things.

I remember when webOS was introduced in Jan 2009, the possibilities for what one could do with webOS seemed limitless. To me, Synergy sounded like it was going to be able to allow different apps to slice and dice your information in different ways. Mashups, if you will. And sure, some of that potential was definitely realized. But a lot of it wasn't. To some extent, that is surely me making up my own expectations, but I think there is still more untapped potential in webOS. Security is one reason why some of that potential was not realized. Palm might have wanted to let any app access your calendar data, but it might not have been safe to do so. Or rather, implementing the security overlay that would have allowed such transactions to be safe was probably a bridge too far. There are also other reasons why latent potential remains.

The point is not what they need to do, but whether they can do what needs to be done. They need a grand vision, it needs to be something that customers really want, and something that can't be fulfilled by their competition. Oh, yes, and then they have to fulfill that vision, or at least go far enough down the road to make it clear what is possible. Sprinkle some good marketing in there, and you have a winning formula.

I guess I'm starting to sound a little bit like Derek from the front page, but I really hope they can knock one out of the park. From what I've seen of webOS 2.0 (and admittedly, all I've seen is what others have said, since I haven't seen it in person), it doesn't yet go quite far enough. It's great, and I still maintain that it's better than all the other mobile operating systems, but I can't get rid of this feeling that it could be SO much more!
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    one can argue the game hasn't even started, or maybe palm wasn't even in the game
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    one can argue the game hasn't even started, or maybe palm wasn't even in the game
    Agreed on the latter but how can you possibly argue the former?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Agreed on the latter but how can you possibly argue the former?
    Maybe "barely started" would be a better way to say it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by mickykitsune View Post
    Healthy carrier relationships?

Come oooonnnn!
    Plural only means > 1, not all. Verizon clearly would have to be absent from that list. (I agree "flush" is a probably an over the top description. Maybe he was really thinking where many of those relationships were headed! )
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    the people that are right now buying up those evo's and android wannabkool phones will drool over the coming devices and alot of them will be stuck in contract lol ha ha ha . myself i will be off contract and will have enough to buy a phone outright so i can stay off contract !! yay !!
    ĦṔ-ḶøØṫ-ŦḯØη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all, I just found this on the NY Times website.

Enjoy, take care,

Jay

Palm Is Far From ‘Game Over,’ Says Former ChiefBy JENNA WORTHAM, December 7, 2010, 6:53 pm

When Hewlett-Packard, the world’s largest computer maker, acquired Palm, the struggling maker of the Pre and Pixi smartphones, in late April, it was a much-needed lifeline for a company that was battling to stay afloat in a increasingly fierce mobile landscape.

Jon Rubinstein operates Palm’s global business unit within Hewlett-Packard.Jon Rubinstein, the former chief executive of Palm who now operates Palm’s global business unit within H.P., says the company simply “ran out of runway.” He spoke Tuesday on stage at the D: Dive into Mobile conference in San Francisco,

“When we looked out forward, we saw a very clear way to get the company to profitability, but what we didn’t see was a way to get to scale,” Mr. Rubinstein said.

The company was flush with cash and healthy carrier relationships, but “given how large the competition was, between Apple and Google, we were a small successful company but that’s not long-term sustainable,” he said.

Palm considered several options, Mr. Rubinstein said, including raising additional venture financing and partnerships. But ultimately, it decided that being acquired made the most financial sense. Six companies vied to purchase Palm, he said.

“At the end of the day, it felt like the most expeditious outcome was to partner with someone like H.P and move forward,” he said.

The deal, he said, made sense for H.P., which gained access to Palm’s homegrown software for phones and tablets, as a way to quickly mount a mobile strategy to remain competitive amid the coming wave of tablets and mobile devices.

“H.P. didn’t have a mobile strategy,” Mr. Rubinstein said. “A company like H.P. needs to be in control of its own strategy.”

“This is not ‘game over,’” he added.

Mr. Rubinstein emphasized that although the company was in something of a quiet period, it was rapidly working on a new slate of smartphones and tablet computers. He did not say specifically when they would be announced, other than to say it would happen next year.

seems like damage control to me and nothing more. he knows the complaints from palm users atm.
    things are looking good for HPalm 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    Wasn't even in the game? They started the game.
    The first innings may not have gone so well, but stand by for some home runs in the second.
    I just saw a tweet that RIM will give a tablet to every developer that gets an app accepted onto the tablet catalog.

the way for palm to keep it from being 'game over' is to wake up and do stuff like that...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Wasn't even in the game? They started the game.
    that's true. My first pda was the HP200lx, before the pilot existed. But the pilot was a major leap ahead and I haven't looked back (yet).
    we're not talking about the pda game or the resistive touch palm OS/windows mobile game that cornered a cliche market.

we're talking about the modern day smartphone with apps, capactive screens, and mass appeal.

palm came out on all cylinders at ces 2009, but burned them out with a blunder of mistakes. I don't mind the lack of new hardware, since I'm still under contract and it doesn't affect me personally if they come out with the greatest smartphone of the month. But the lack of big app support and the loss of some big programs like docs 2 go, epocrates, and classic, is killing my ability to remain productive as a physician using webOS. I've started carrying around my ipod touch again...feel like I'm in the old palm TX and flip phone days..two devices.

come on hp, step up to the plate...
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    things are looking good for HPalm 2011.
    Didn't I see the same line but...

things are looking good for xPalm 201x.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Your right. I think palm really has nowhere to go but up.
    GO BRONCOS!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast