Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    From the outside looking in, it wouldn't appear that Palm has "healthy carrier relationships" but hey, what do we know? They don't share with us, and I guess all we can do is have faith or jump ship.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    we're not talking about the pda game or the resistive touch palm OS/windows mobile game that cornered a cliche market.

we're talking about the modern day smartphone with apps, capactive screens, and mass appeal...
    Sorry, I don't see the change from a resistive touch screen to a capacitive touch screen as warranting a new definition of what makes up a "smartphone".

Palm Treos had apps, a resistive touch screen, and mass appeal. Palm pretty much defined the smartphone. Apple redefined it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Sorry, I don't see the change from a resistive touch screen to a capacitive touch screen as warranting a new definition of what makes up a "smartphone".

Palm Treos had apps, a resistive touch screen, and mass appeal. Palm pretty much defined the smartphone. Apple redefined it.
    The changes comes in the "everything finger" approach of capacitive screens.

Also, Apple did something that Palm tried, without success: unified app store.

(Let's forget things like appealing UI, or things like that).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    The changes comes in the "everything finger" approach of capacitive screens.

Also, Apple did something that Palm tried, without success: unified app store.

(Let's forget things like appealing UI, or things like that).
    I never realized that Palm had tried a unified app store, but again, I don't see that as a defining item for a successful phone. Yes, it's good for the seller of the phone, but is it good for the owners? Personally, I don't think so (overall). There are advantages (more reliable software, easier to install), but there are a number of disadvantages as well (less competition, fewer apps available, and too much centralized control).

So, I stand by my original point. Palm defined the smartphone, Apple redefined it.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    From the outside looking in, it wouldn't appear that Palm has "healthy carrier relationships" but hey, what do we know? They don't share with us, and I guess all we can do is have faith or jump ship.
    I like your quote here. None of us really know whats gonna happen so we can all hope for some new devices and further support, and switch over to apple or android, and leave palm behind. I left and now I want to come back to palm, but am stuck in a contract with t-mobile.
    GO BRONCOS!!!!

...snip "Palm pretty much defined the smartphone. ...
    Pretty much a moot point now.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    yep
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Seriously, virtually everything we say here is a "moot point" - seeing as none of us are really in a position to change anything.

The point was relative to the discussion though. As I said, Palm defined the smartphone, Apple redefined it. Pretending that the original Treo's were not "smartphones" was the discussion, and yeah, my comments pertained to it.

I know there are some on here that only want to discuss Palm's mistakes, but they've done a thing or two right as well.

Of course, if any of the experts on here that have built multi-billion dollar companies want to step up and speak, I'm sure we'll all listen.

Oh, and since Palm/HP holds the patent on "smartphones" (as well as a number of others) the notion that it's "moot" might want to be reconsidered.
    It doesn't matter in the slightest who "invented it" that's just living in the past. The reality is what Palm did 10 so years ago doesn't sell phones today. I don't know what patent on "smartphone" you are referring too. I'm sure they have something but a smartphone is a complex object. There would be hundreds of patents on various components to patent. They could get one on a single individual device but that wouldn't keep anyone from making a competitive device. And having this "patent on smartphone" clearly hasn't prevented any company from making better devices and trouncing them in this market.

the topic is a guy saying Palm isn't dead. Having built a smartphone many years ago does zero for them now. They many not be dead but it ain't cause they did something back in yesteryear cause nobody cares today.
    with ces drawing ever so near and no leaks or backed up rumors i have a sick feeling alot of us will be very dissapointed. for now my new evo is tiding me over very nicely.
    I don't think that Palm is over by any means. I just don't think they are moving at a pace that anyone from the outside looking in likes. But hopefully all will be reveled and we will understand what they were doing all this time.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    with ces drawing ever so near and no leaks or backed up rumors i have a sick feeling alot of us will be very dissapointed. for now my new evo is tiding me over very nicely.
    I can understand your disappointment and skepticism. After all, the leaks that poured out of the ether right before the announcments at CES 2009 were ... um... what was that? Oh, they weren't exactly pouring out? Oh.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    It doesn't matter in the slightest who "invented it" that's just living in the past. The reality is what Palm did 10 so years ago doesn't sell phones today. I don't know what patent on "smartphone" you are referring too. I'm sure they have something but a smartphone is a complex object. There would be hundreds of patents on various components to patent. They could get one on a single individual device but that wouldn't keep anyone from making a competitive device. And having this "patent on smartphone" clearly hasn't prevented any company from making better devices and trouncing them in this market.

the topic is a guy saying Palm isn't dead. Having built a smartphone many years ago does zero for them now. They many not be dead but it ain't cause they did something back in yesteryear cause nobody cares today.
    Actually, what they did back in yesteryear most certainly does apply even today. Talk just a few weeks back was that the "only" reason HP was interested in Palm were the patents. What they did does still apply (ask some execs at MS, you know, that little company that just paid some big bucks for licensing of some of the IP that Palm developed).

I only mentioned Palm definining smartphones in passing. The very next comment was that Apple redefined it. This is a dicussion, those topics are hardly irrelevant to the topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    When information is missing, it is human nature to insert the worst possible alternative one can think of. It's been said "for lack of vision, the people perish".

Resist the urge to fall in to that trap. We are just a few weeks away from an industry event, and HP is also likely to make announcements throughout the year. Worry is better spent on those things we can change. We can't change what HP will say, so it's healthier to just wait and see. IMHO
    I can understand your disappointment and skepticism. After all, the leaks that poured out of the ether right before the announcments at CES 2009 were ... um... what was that? Oh, they weren't exactly pouring out? Oh.
    we shall see man.
    Actually, what they did back in yesteryear most certainly does apply even today. Talk just a few weeks back was that the "only" reason HP was interested in Palm were the patents. What they did does still apply (ask some execs at MS, you know, that little company that just paid some big bucks for licensing of some of the IP that Palm developed).

I only mentioned Palm definining smartphones in passing. The very next comment was that Apple redefined it. This is a dicussion, those topics are hardly irrelevant to the topic.
    Fine, But do you honestly think, making a palm pilot a in like the early 2000s means anything at all to the majority of people when they walk into the AT&T store and ask, "can i use facebook on this?" Do you think they care if Palm patented anything at all 6 or 7 years ago? The fact that HP may have bought them for patents doesn't really mean that those patents make the Palm Pre 2 or any other Palm phone more attractive. Especially when i've seen not a single person point to any single patent that Palm has on something. Don't get me wrong. i'm not saying palm has no patents. I'm not saying the patents have no value or that they lack importance from a business sense. I'm sure they do. I'm saying unless they have a patent on something modern, or new tech that is a game changer, old patents will be nothing more then a revenue stream for licensing fees. Licensing fees don't sell phones to consumers. But i've yet to see much that they can leverage into a top consumer product that only Palm has. Nor do they truly need to. They merely need to make phones people actually want to buy that offer features people want.
    I think @hparsons was simply stating the historical perspective that Palm created the market and Apple knocked on it's ear (redefined it).

I didn't see anything suggesting that joe user knows that when they shop for a phone.

I think we all agree that most of the world thinks time began with the iPhone, and wouldn't believe there was anything before it.

kinda like when I try to explain vynil records or 8-track tapes... They just roll their eyes and assume I'm making it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    When information is missing, it is human nature to insert the worst possible alternative one can think of. It's been said "for lack of vision, the people perish".

Resist the urge to fall in to that trap. We are just a few weeks away from an industry event, and HP is also likely to make announcements throughout the year. Worry is better spent on those things we can change. We can't change what HP will say, so it's healthier to just wait and see. IMHO
    hence why i bought my evo for the time being to play with. so far so good although i do miss webos in a way.
    personally I think that is a much more reasonable and positive response rather than most of the doom & gloom posting that happens when there isn't any news to talk about.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    personally I think that is a much more reasonable and positive response rather than most of the doom & gloom posting that happens when there isn't any news to talk about.
    Hi,

You must be a mind reader...thanks for your post, you are 110% correct!

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12