Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hi all,

This is the 1st time Ruby said that Palm had cash before the buyout. Interesting.....I also agree that HP didn't have ANY mobile stratagy before the buyout!

Take care,

Jay

Palm Exec: HP Had ‘No Mobile Strategy’ Before Acquisition
    Posted in News, Mobile Devices, Wireless, Smartphones, M&A, Financial Print

Palm Exec: HP Had ‘No Mobile Strategy’ Before Acquisition

Former Palm CEO Jon Rubenstein, who has led the Palm business unit at HP since the computer giant acquired the PDA pioneer earlier this year, had a lot of interesting things to say at this week’s D: Dive Into Mobile conference in San Francisco.

First, Rubenstein said, contrary to popular belief, Palm was “flush with cash" when it sold to HP. The problem was that his small company wasn’t going to able to sustain itself in the long run. Most industry watchers speculated that Palm was in financial dire straits before the acquisition, which followed Palm’s attempted return to prominence with the Palm Pre smartphone. While receiving generally positive reviews, the Pre failed to sell nearly as well as hoped.

Second, Rubenstein told the crowd that HP had ‘no mobile strategy’ before the acquisition. It only took HP a few months to unleash the Palm Pre 2 on the world, which also has failed to knock anyone’s socks off up to this point; however, webOS, Palm’s highly respected operating system that will be at the heart of a number of new HP mobile devices in 2011 – such as tablet computers – might be a different story. Rubenstein said past struggles do not mean “game over."

Nonetheless, the HP-Palm acquisition hasn’t had a lot to show for itself just yet, leaving fans of Palm devices to wonder if the combined company will be able to be competitive with Apple and Google’s Android platform, among others.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    thanks for sharing this news article. (It's always nice to hear about how "things went down" after the fact!)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    This is why it shocks me when someone goes crazy about nothing really happening yet since HP acquired Palm. In all seriousness the Pre 2 and webOS making it out the door so soon after an acquisition is pretty amazing by business standards. Usually something like this could drag out for a year or two before anything actually happens so really they're moving pretty fast.
    Great read
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    This is why it shocks me when someone goes crazy about nothing really happening yet since HP acquired Palm. In all seriousness the Pre 2 and webOS making it out the door so soon after an acquisition is pretty amazing by business standards. Usually something like this could drag out for a year or two before anything actually happens so really they're moving pretty fast.
    Are they moving pretty fast if that phone was ready before the acquisition? It very well might have been first planned for a June release date.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    And if upcoming webOS devices follow the same trajectory as the Pre, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pixi Plus, and Pre 2, we can always say that it was HP's first attempt at launching a smartphone and we should give them a year to try again.

I actually really admire the way Palm manages to put themselves in situations with built-in excuses for failure.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    off topic: OP have had to be great at research papers in school thanks for sharing
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    I see you have a join date of this year. A few overly vocal folks on this forum "going crazy" about things not going the way they want at Palm shouldn't surprise anyone that's been here a while. Sad state of affairs, but there it is.
    Thanks, you've proven the point made above - in spades.

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    And if upcoming webOS devices follow the same trajectory as the Pre, Pixi, Pre Plus, Pixi Plus, and Pre 2, we can always say that it was HP's first attempt at launching a smartphone and we should give them a year to try again.

I actually really admire the way Palm manages to put themselves in situations with built-in excuses for failure.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I see you have a join date of this year. A few overly vocal folks on this forum "going crazy" about things not going the way they want at Palm shouldn't surprise anyone that's been here a while. Sad state of affairs, but there it is.
    Hi,

I have to agree, the drama and carrying on about having to wait a little for an announcement of a samrtphone...you would think these people were waiting to see if they were getting a heart transplant!

Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    unless of course that the strategy was buying palm
    so I assume if HP and Palm make this thing work with Webos on smartphones tablets etc, all the negative people on here will be MIA. Its usually how it works, people swear they have a clue on how hard it is to run a business, or to try and regroup from a failed vision intially. The great companys (Apple included) have been where Palm is at now, but never lost hope and kept moving. Though to me Palm has a great idea in webos (the best OS on smartphones, tablets etc mind you IMO) and HP has what Palm didnt money, and resources. So to me I would bet money on once things get settled from the aquisition, and they release their new products they have been working on TOGETHER, they will emerge very very successful. I'm all about rooting for the underdog, but only when I see potential, and with Webos theres a whole lot of it there. I applaud Rubenstien for always staying optimistic, even in bad times regardless what people say hes a fighter (as shown with Apple with the ipod), to me he is the Ace for HP in this soon to be successful campaign, great find.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    so I assume if HP and Palm make this thing work with Webos on smartphones tablets etc, all the negative people on here will be MIA.
    Why? If they do it, it will be a really interesting example of a companying turning around what appears to be a hopeless situation. I can't actually see that and think they will be fighting and losing again WP7 for last place but if they did do it, it will be very interesting.
    Ruby says they were flush with cash, eh?

Palm Wouldn’t Have Lasted the Year | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD

Seems like their post deal financials dont really agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

Palm Wouldn’t Have Lasted the Year | John Paczkowski | Digital Daily | AllThingsD

woulnt cash on hand not be on the books? Its like a hustler working 40 a week at a regular job, but makes cash sells selling QP's and pounds totaling extra revenue only for his pockets, and out of sight of uncle sam. Im asking?
    The man wasn't a drug trafficker...
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The man wasn't a drug trafficker...
    lol WOW of course not (I hope you know it was a example, I really do), but companys get cash all the time, and not put it forth to be claimed on tax reports. So why would that be hard to fathom, that Palm had abit of cash sitting?
    Secret cash. Hidden plans for superdevices. Is there anything great about this team that occurs in plain view?
    Secret cash. Hidden plans for superdevices. Is there anything great about this team that occurs in plain view?
    Im not sure, what do you think?

Even Paczkowski said "at that rate". Of course, without the details, we don't know what write-offs Palm may have taken that quarter.

It's really sort of moot anyway. The response is acting as if Ruby said something that was misleading. Even his statement was that Palm "wasn’t going to able to sustain itself in the long run".
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast