Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all, I just found this on Eweek. I hope you find it interesting. For example: the Palm name may not be continued!

Take care,

Jay

HP's Rubinstein: WebOS Tablet, New Smartphones Coming in 2011
    By: Michelle Maisto, 2010-12-08

HP's Rubinstein: WebOS Tablet, New Smartphones Coming in 2011 - Mobile and Wireless - News & Reviews - eWeek.com

HP’s Jon Rubinstein, speaking at D: Dive Into Mobile, said the Pre 2 isn’t all the company’s capable of, and more impressive efforts, like a WebOS tablet, are slated for 2011.

Jon Rubinstein, head of Hewlett-Packard’s Palm unit, gave the audience at the San Francisco D: Dive Into Mobile a glimpse into the inner workings behind the HP and Palm brands, though revealed little about future roadmaps, according to a number of media reports.

Rubinstein — the CEO of Palm before it was purchased by HP this summer, and the man who spearheaded the company’s Palm Pre and WebOS efforts — did confirm that the Palm tablet running a version WebOS will come to market in 2011, but the industry has been expecting such a device for some time now.

Since being acquired by HP, the only new product to emerge has been the Palm Pre 2 — a smartphone that, while running an updated version of the well-liked WebOS platform, aroused little excitement from consumers, as it didn’t seem to depart very much (in appearance, anyway) from the original Pre or Pre Plus.

According to the Inquirer, Rubinstein took the stage in a “fighting mood,” and said that in the next 12 months, HP will launch several “radically different devices,” including the tablet and several smartphones. The Pre 2, it was implied, shouldn’t be taken as the team’s best effort.

“This is just the beginning,” he said, according to the Associated Press. “It’s not ‘game over.’”

Rubinstein also offered details on the acquisition, saying that while six companies showed serious interest in Palm, HP was the right choice, both because it was the largest computer company in the world and could give Palm’s products more traction, and because it was eager to break into the mobile phone market but lacked a mobile strategy.

Of Palm’s failure to find traction over the years — as it was acquired and then acquired again — or substantial success with the original Palm Pre, which debuted within days of the Apple iPhone 3GS, Rubinstein acknowledged that Palm’s competitors moved faster than it could keep pace with.

“We ran out of runway,” he said, according to AP.

Looking forward, however, Rubinstein described new HP CEO Leo Apotheker as being “really jazzed” about WebOS and its potential. Apotheker assumed the role Nov. 1, following the abrupt (some said too abrupt) resignation of Mark Hurd, who found himself tangled in a sexual harassment scandal with a former HP contractor.

Rubinstein also told the audience that there’s ongoing talk about whether to carry on the Palm name, or to brand the new products under HP. A pioneer in the handheld space before losing its footing — or rather “runway,” as Rubinstein earlier described it — Palm is still associated, by many, with the Palm Pilot, one of the first PDAs, or personal digital assistants.

“It does have some strengths as far as brand recognition. It also has some negative connotations around it as well,” Rubinstein said, according to AP. “At the end of the day, HP needs to build a brand around what it’s going to do going forward, and WebOS is one of those key elements.”
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/12/2010 at 12:34 PM.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    "Since being acquired by HP, the only new product to emerge has been the Palm Pre 2 — a smartphone that, while running an updated version of the well-liked WebOS platform, aroused little excitement from consumers, as it didn’t seem to depart very much (in appearance, anyway) from the original Pre or Pre Plus."

I never understand this argument, as if the iPhone or Droid departed much in appearance from the one before, and people still got exited.
    < M105 - M130 - M515 - T|T3 - Clié UX50 - T|x - Pré - Pré 2 - TouchPad 16GB>
    [url]
    Understand it this way- The Pre had no sales success on which to build whereas the other devices, for whatever reasons, were viable in the marketplace.
    right, the Pre2 really NEEDED to depart more. Maybe not if had shipped instead of the Pre+, but by the time it gets to the US it won't be competitive unless it's a low-end member of a family of great handsets. IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by Hz-R View Post
    "Since being acquired by HP, the only new product to emerge has been the Palm Pre 2 — a smartphone that, while running an updated version of the well-liked WebOS platform, aroused little excitement from consumers, as it didn’t seem to depart very much (in appearance, anyway) from the original Pre or Pre Plus."

I never understand this argument, as if the iPhone or Droid departed much in appearance from the one before, and people still got exited.
    Unless it's a Blackberry, small screens do not sale.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    dual core
    super amoled screen(or similar)
    best camera ever in a phone( 10 megapixel, 9x zoom,etc)
    long lasting battery( 9 hours of full use)
    lte (verizon) and wimax (sprint)
    full integrated with hp printers

those are some specs for next years palm devices
    I understand it.

Minor upgrades to something wildly successful = smart business. Minor upgrades to a failed product = death wish; especially when you can't even deliver the upgrades within a reasonable timeframe.

If the lukewarm reception the the pre didn't inspire Palm to think bigger, the failure of the Pre plus should have...

Both Droid and iPhone are popular and wildly successful. I think we all can agree the Pre design was a failure for many.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    right, the Pre2 really NEEDED to depart more. Maybe not if had shipped instead of the Pre+, but by the time it gets to the US it won't be competitive unless it's a low-end member of a family of great handsets. IMHO
    Agreed from a sales perspective. Remember, Palm would have to get developers to update apps for a larger screen but they had no pull with developers. The Pre2 was likely far into development by the time HP bought them this summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Agreed from a sales perspective. Remember, Palm would have to get developers to update apps for a larger screen but they had no pull with developers. The Pre2 was likely far into development by the time HP bought them this summer.
    Exactly. What we see with the Pre 2 is executing what Palm probably would have did with it's remaining cash. HP's cash is where this expansion of multiple devices comes into play. Different form factors and screen sizes for everyone is what HP has stated. Seems like a reasonable idea to me but Palm couldn't execute that plan on their own.

Creating Enyo is genius. Given Palm's small user base and the fact that a lot app devs prolly don't want to have to dev 3 apps with diff resos for the same population, Enyo is it going forward. Most of the current devs will update their apps at some point in time.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Although many of us knew about this when he said it, thanks for being concerned and refreshing our memories. John Rubenstein is continuing to be tight-lipped about everything, which continues to be frustrating as many loyal webOS and Palm fans wonder when we will actually see anything (CES hopefully will be a start).
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Although many of us knew about this when he said it, thanks for being concerned and refreshing our memories. John Rubenstein is continuing to be tight-lipped about everything, which continues to be frustrating as many loyal webOS and Palm fans wonder when we will actually see anything (CES hopefully will be a start).
    I keep seeing these statements and I'm at a lost. Why are ya'll frustrated when HP/Palm keeps saying that they'll have something to say and show soon? We know that they have reserved space at CES. Do you think that they would pay money to reserve space at CES without showing anything? Really?? C'mon guys. Stop your non-sensible whining and actually wait a few weeks to see what they show at CES. If they don't show anything your whining will be justified, but at least chill for a few more weeks. Some on here are like children in a grocery store.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    I keep seeing these statements and I'm at a lost. Why are ya'll frustrated when HP/Palm keeps saying that they'll have something to say and show soon? We know that they have reserved space at CES. Do you think that they would pay money to reserve space at CES without showing anything? Really?? C'mon guys. Stop your non-sensible whining and actually wait a few weeks to see what they show at CES. If they don't show anything your whining will be justified, but at least chill for a few more weeks. Some on here are like children in a grocery store.
    I know, right? They will (well...maybe) show "something" that will be released in "2011". I don't get why the pre-orders haven't begun already. That's enough to get anybody's blood pumping in excitement.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I know, right? They will (well...maybe) show "something" that will be released in "2011". I don't get why the pre-orders haven't begun already. That's enough to get anybody's blood pumping in excitement.
    What are they supposed to pre-order; nothing has been announced and there is not one single tidbit of any information of future devices.
    Sarca.....never mind.

What does that tell you about the shape of things to come?
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Reading this, I think that going forward, the palm name is going to disappear completely.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Hi all,

I agree with you 110%! I am still using a 2 year and 2 month old Centro, that I had to keep for 2 years to end my contract, (which ended on Oct 15th). Therefore, I wasn't even able to try a Pre...so big deal you have to wait a few more weeks!

Many of you sound as if the world will come to an end, unless Palm has something beyond the Pre 2 in 2 weeks of less....or you will bolt to another company if it doesn't have this or that!

If you want something to get upset about, think about how many people will not have holiday presents due layoffs etc... or worse will starve to death in the time it takes to read this entry to this thread.

Please, be patient, you know new models are on the way....your life will not cease if you have to wait a little longer....the Pre 2 was in the pipeline and my guess is it was released b/c Palm didn't want to look likely it was standing still...either you wait or you go elsewhere to another line of smart phones.

However, please stop whining and ruining it for the rest of us! So many of you remind me of the title of Fran Drescher's autobiography "Enter Whining"!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I almost feel like the 'when' is more important than the 'what' around here in terms of announcing future products.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    I almost feel like the 'when' is more important than the 'what' around here in terms of announcing future products.
    There will always be whiners. The whiners on this forum will whine when they find out that the product(s) won't be available an hour after it is announced at CES. It amazes me; and not in a good way.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast