Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    can't really compare palms pre release to what androids release numbers are at this moment.

thou they may now get that number per day, android is also on many different platforms from manufactures golobally, compared to palms limited scale ability in 2009 with just one carrier in america (albeit.. The carrier with the least amount of subscribers).

also android was out a good year and a half prior to webos

Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post

What do the reviews reveal to you? My take is technology websites don't always get it right. Just do a search on "iPhone will Fail" and see what you get.
    The public has spoken. Too bad reviews alone could not keep Palm independent.

From one of your links: "Analysts estimated that Sprint, the exclusive carrier for the Pre, may have sold 45,000 to 100,000 Pre phones over its opening weekend. Sprint isn't disclosing sales numbers. Palm, based in Sunnyvale, Calif., said the weekend went well and more Pre phones will be available soon."

These numbers in the great scheme of things are miniscule. Android is supposedly up to 300,000 activations a day. Android activations per day.

By the way people who live in the past are destine to repeat it. I would suggest you get some new bookmarks, these only have meaning to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi,

You are 110% correct...I cannot believe there are so many glass half empty people out there.

Take care,

jay
    I really don't believe there are that many. I do believe that there are a very vocal few on here that seem to live for the next opportunity to predict doom gloom and failure for Palm. I suspect after they vent spouting their latest wisdom aimed at high-paid executives for multi-billion dollar companies, they return to their jobs complaining about those bosses as well, as they ask if customers would like to super-size their orders...

Pure speculation on my part, but I think it's spot on.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    People need to just kick back, bite their tongues, and wait until CES. Within 6-8 months, especially if they do keep to a new phone every 2 months schedule, I think Palm will be looking at a 4-5% marketshare and rising. We'll see. Time to sit back and dream about the phone possibilities.
    You really don't get it do you? If the naysayers wait those 6-8 months, then they will have missed the opportunity to partake of one of their favorite pastimes. They must get their licks in now, because they know how things are likely to turn out.

Try to get them to post some "drop dead" dates. Dates which Palm will surely be gone. They won't because they can't. All they can do is predict the coming demise, over and over.

Of course, as long as they continue to claim it's "coming", without giving a clue as to when, they can insist they're right.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You really don't get it do you? If the naysayers wait those 6-8 months, then they will have missed the opportunity to partake of one of their favorite pastimes. They must get their licks in now, because they know how things are likely to turn out.
    How are things likely to turn out?

Try to get them to post some "drop dead" dates. Dates which Palm will surely be gone. They won't because they can't. All they can do is predict the coming demise, over and over.

Of course, as long as they continue to claim it's "coming", without giving a clue as to when, they can insist they're right.
    There's something very familiar about your choice of words there. Particularly the "continue to claim it's 'coming,' without giving a clue as to when" part.
    Who know who the biggest naysayer is? Jon Rubinstein. Why is he aiming for #3 in the market instead of #1?
    Probably because the way the mobile market seems to be developing, #1 will have ~30% marketshare, #2 will have 25% and #3 will have 20%. At that point it doesn't really matter. In fact, it does - the market leader will have to fight with the effects of ubiquity at some point (yet another iPhone, borrring... Can't imagine that? You must not remember the almost religious awe with which people looked at Nokia dumbphones 15 years ago. Even the most awesome stuff becomes mundane after a while if you see it everywhere).
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    There's something very familiar about your choice of words there. Particularly the "continue to claim it's 'coming,' without giving a clue as to when" part.
    The "coming months" stuff from Palm is in direct response to questions as to "when". The "Palm is dying" nonsense is totally unsolicited.

And so far, totally wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hz-R View Post
    "Since being acquired by HP, the only new product to emerge has been the Palm Pre 2 ó a smartphone that, while running an updated version of the well-liked WebOS platform, aroused little excitement from consumers, as it didnít seem to depart very much (in appearance, anyway) from the original Pre or Pre Plus."

I never understand this argument, as if the iPhone or Droid departed much in appearance from the one before, and people still got exited.
    What's not to understand?? The Pre did pretty bad. The iPhone and Droid did/do extremely well. When a phone doesn't sell, why would the same phone sell well the second time around?
    hmmm with no date in sight for the pre 2 up here in canada, ya i went into a rogers store, they have the dummy, no price point, no info.. it was suppose to be released nov 18th.it is now ohhh dec 13. i check faithfully every day the rogers site, nada,, i may break down and get palm to ship me one for 449.00, i will get a sim card for Bell, and i am back in biz... saying that, i have to have the damn thing shipped to a US addy, and make a special trip down to get it... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee splat.. I like my phone, but frankly this is getting a little nuts.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post

So we're all just turning on each other now? You guys are freaking A-holes. We're in this together. Get your heads out of you *****.
    Quote Originally Posted by blue duck butter View Post
    So we're all just turning on each other now? ...
    I don't think all of us on this forum are here for the same reason. Read a few of the posts by some of the naysayers - I think you'll see they have a far different agenda than what you might assume.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    can't really compare palms pre release to what androids release numbers are at this moment.

thou they may now get that number per day, android is also on many different platforms from manufactures golobally, compared to palms limited scale ability in 2009 with just one carrier in america (albeit.. The carrier with the least amount of subscribers).

also android was out a good year and a half prior to webos
    Uh, you're way off on a couple of your facts there. Android was out just 8 months prior to the launch of the Pre...not 18 months as you asserted.

Second, Android was the platform on "the carrier with the least amount of subscribers" - i.e. T-Mobile. In fact, they were trapped there for 12 months in the US, whereas the Pre and Pixi Plus were able to expand to the biggest carrier just seven months later. In the 12 months it took Android to get its third US device, Palm had SIX on the top three carriers.

Before Droid had arrived, Android had already sold at least a couple of million globally between the HTC Hero, Magic, and G1 in 12 months. WebOS is still at that sales level almost 19 months after launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    It's really funny how I can read this whole thread and read way more posts about why palm isn't as good as android, or apple. It seems like there are all these people on here that can't talk about what new devices may be coming out. Instead it seems that they have this strange need to put others down, to prove their right or something along those lines. People have been complaining about whiners on here, well I am complaining about all the people on here that are are just pointing out all the bad things with palm. We all know the short comings of palm, and maybe instead of talking about how palm has been so horrible in the past (which I believe to be completely untrue) maybe we could talk about what some of the new devices are gonna be like, or how many devices may be announced at CES. You know what this particular forum is supposed to. I believe bashing palm may be reserved for another place.

Now as for me I would love to see a screen around 4", but it doesn't have to be exact. A side sliding keyboard, at least a 1Ghz processor, but more would be welcome, 480x800 res or more, better battery life maybe around 8 or 9 hours of use. A 5mgp camera, hd video, and lastly a good speaker and mic for some good call quality no matter how you have to talk.
    GO BRONCOS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    ...Android was out just 8 months prior to the launch of the Pre...Android was the platform on "the carrier with the least amount of subscribers" ...In the 12 months it took Android to get its third US device, Palm had SIX on the top three carriers...WebOS is still at that sales level almost 19 months after launch.
    Stop it with these facts. There's no place for that here (unless it can be interpreted to be positive).

Quote Originally Posted by card0124 View Post
    We all know the short comings of palm, and maybe instead of talking about how palm has been so horrible in the past (which I believe to be completely untrue) maybe we could talk about what some of the new devices are gonna be like, or how many devices may be announced at CES. You know what this particular forum is supposed to.
    That's more like it. As for me, I want a camera with 10 MPs and a dual core processor at 1.5gHz, a 4" glass screen, good battery life, HD video, voice recorder, gyroscope, NFC chip, front-facing camera, slide out keyboard, etc. If the mockup contest wasn't over, I'd send in a drawing I made. Maybe I should send it to Palm along with a cartoon I made with Pres as cute characters.
    Last edited by stung; 12/13/2010 at 02:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Uh, you're way off on a couple of your facts there. Android was out just 8 months prior to the launch of the Pre...not 18 months as you asserted.

Second, Android was the platform on "the carrier with the least amount of subscribers" - i.e. T-Mobile. In fact, they were trapped there for 12 months in the US, whereas the Pre and Pixi Plus were able to expand to the biggest carrier just seven months later. In the 12 months it took Android to get its third US device, Palm had SIX on the top three carriers.

Before Droid had arrived, Android had already sold at least a couple of million globally between the HTC Hero, Magic, and G1 in 12 months. WebOS is still at that sales level almost 19 months after launch.
    To be fair, Android was a seperate company before Google purchased them, and many carriers were on board with the Open Handset Alliance in 2007, well before WebOS was announced. T-Mobile may have been the first, but development was underway for other carriers (and manufacturers) long before the initial release.
    what are you getting at
    (It appears) that the implication is being made that Android made sudden advances to other other mfgs and carriers in a short amount of time. The fact is that those companies had been working on Android devices for quite some time.

Android's release may have been only a few months before that of WebOS, but it's been around a while in various states.

That sort of begs the question - if Android is judged by the same standard as Palm - was it a success? I mean, both companies were purchased by a much larger company. Of course, once Android was purchased, it took almost 3 years for their product to be released. The "failing" Palm seems like they will beat that, even with their "coming months" mantra...
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So are you giving Palm a fresh start after their acquisition, this summer by HP? I guess if you consider Palm a four month old company then I guess they are doing quite well.
    Odd that you read that into what I said.

Nope, not at all. I simply asked the question. Some on here seem to think that Palm being bought out indicates a failure. I was just posing the question, is being bought out by a bigger company indicitive of "failing"? Would that same standard apply to Android?

Is not having widely adopted new model four months after being bought out be indicitive of failure? If so, does that apply to Android (3 years after being acquired)?

Seriously, I'm simply asking for some perspective

Palm will have new devices next year. I figure early next year, but even if that's wrong, the writing is on the wall. The devices are coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    LOL. Good point. If you think about it, that's got to be one of the most useless things to say. Of course there are new devices coming. The question is when and what kind.

By the way, does anyone feel that there will be any need to camp out overnight to get the new HP Palm smartphone or tablet when they arrive?
    I hope not. I hate having to wait, and have refused to join the crowds that camp out in line.

But, if it happens, I can wait another month or so.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast