Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I know, right? They will (well...maybe) show "something" that will be released in "2011". I don't get why the pre-orders haven't begun already. That's enough to get anybody's blood pumping in excitement.
    Oh!!! Sarcasm. Mikah, instead of gas-lighting.........
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    What are they supposed to pre-order; nothing has been announced and there is not one single tidbit of any information of future devices.
    Wow. Not one single tidbit of any information of future devices!!! Wow. Nothing from the HP EVPs. Wow. Nothing recently. Wow.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

I agree with you 110%! I am still using a 2 year and 2 month old Centro, that I had to keep for 2 years to end my contract, (which ended on Oct 15th). Therefore, I wasn't even able to try a Pre...so big deal you have to wait a few more weeks!

Many of you sound as if the world will come to an end, unless Palm has something beyond the Pre 2 in 2 weeks of less....or you will bolt to another company if it doesn't have this or that!

If you want something to get upset about, think about how many people will not have holiday presents due layoffs etc... or worse will starve to death in the time it takes to read this entry to this thread.
    ilovedessert thanks for another great article. However I am aware there are bigger world issues. However this is a forum dedicated to news about palm. So people are apt to say that the way palm is running is ridiculous and frustrating. Just because people are frustrated about something petty like a phone release date doesn't mean they don't have concerns with bigger problems. This forum is a fun distraction for many members. Yes there are bigger issues out there but Just because someone vents here doesn't mean they lack perspective. This is a place for opinions and if people are frustrated they have that right, it doesn't make them a bad person.
    They'll also whine if they find out that the product(s) will be available online while Jon is announcing them at CES.

"Such a stupid decision, they should've waited a month or so to let the ad campaign pull people in before they put the stuff up for sale, it's just common business sense!"
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    There will always be whiners. The whiners on this forum will whine when they find out that the product(s) won't be available an hour after it is announced at CES. It amazes me; and not in a good way.
    Hi,

You are 110% correct...I cannot believe there are so many glass half empty people out there.

Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I keep seeing these statements and I'm at a lost. Why are ya'll frustrated when HP/Palm keeps saying that they'll have something to say and show soon? We know that they have reserved space at CES. Do you think that they would pay money to reserve space at CES without showing anything? Really?? C'mon guys. Stop your non-sensible whining and actually wait a few weeks to see what they show at CES. If they don't show anything your whining will be justified, but at least chill for a few more weeks. Some on here are like children in a grocery store.
    Because if you don't whine you're going to be labelled as a Palm apologist
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/13/2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Please do not post around our language filters.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    I understand it.

Minor upgrades to something wildly successful = smart business. Minor upgrades to a failed product = death wish; especially when you can't even deliver the upgrades within a reasonable timeframe.

If the lukewarm reception the the pre didn't inspire Palm to think bigger, the failure of the Pre plus should have...
    LOL. These comments KILL me! Maybe a refresher is in order?? Have we fogotten?

Quote Originally Posted by CNET & CES
    "On Saturday, CNET, in partnership with the Consumer Electronics Association, handed out its Best of CES 2009 Awards, including Best in Show and the People's Voice Award. And this year's big winner? The Palm Pre.

The Palm Pre smartphone took home both honors and became the first cell phone/smartphone to win the Best in Show since CNET started presenting the Best of CES awards in 2006. The Palm Pre went up against some stiff competition, including the Sony DSC-G3 and the Sony P-series Lifestyle PC. "

Palm Pre wins Best of CES 2009 and People's Voice Award | CES 2009 - CNET Blogs
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmodo
    "Hey, I just had some time to play with the Palm Pre, maybe the most important handset to be announced in two years..."

"It transcends what a mobile device should feel like."

Palm Pre Preview: Simply Amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Cha (CNET)
    "The Palm Pre's multitasking capabilities and notifications system are unparalleled."

"Palm has developed a solid OS that not only rivals the competition but also sets a new standard in the way smartphones handle tasks and manage information."
    Note: CNET Rated the original iPhone at 3.5 Stars, and the Pre-? 3.5 Stars...

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Topolsky
    "The UI outclasses most of its competition on a number of levels, and actually may be quite a bit more revolutionary than the iPhone."
    More light reading...

Palm Pre’s Award Winning 2009

Palm Pre Sells Out as Sprint Customers Line Up for Thin Stock - Bloomberg

Apple unveils iPhone 3G S as Palm's Pre sells out
    Maybe he means lukewarm sales reception which in largely responsible for the fact that the "refresh" version is being turned down by multiple carriers and largely ignored by the same people who praised the first Pre, while comparable refreshes of the iPhone 3GS and Droid are selling well and buoying their respective platforms.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    dual core
    super amoled screen(or similar)
    best camera ever in a phone( 10 megapixel, 9x zoom,etc)
    long lasting battery( 9 hours of full use)
    lte (verizon) and wimax (sprint)
    full integrated with hp printers

those are some specs for next years palm devices
    plus sd card

with such a device, who needs an ipad, a laptop, a computer ,iphone,etc,etc,etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post

More light reading...

[url= Pre’s Award Winning 2009[/url]

[url= Pre Sells Out as Sprint Customers Line Up for Thin Stock - Bloomberg[/url]

[url= unveils iPhone 3G S as Palm's Pre sells out[/url]
    as is still the case, webOS gets rave reviews, the Pre is underwhelming and sales prove that.

More light reading...

Palm Pre’s Award Winning 2009

Palm Pre Sells Out as Sprint Customers Line Up for Thin Stock - Bloomberg

Apple unveils iPhone 3G S as Palm's Pre sells out
    Umm, check your calendar, it's 2010, almost 2011. These articles no longer have any significance, there are two new players in the game.

What do the reviews reveal to you? My take is technology websites don't always get it right. Just do a search on "iPhone will Fail" and see what you get.
    The public has spoken. Too bad reviews alone could not keep Palm independent.

From one of your links: "Analysts estimated that Sprint, the exclusive carrier for the Pre, may have sold 45,000 to 100,000 Pre phones over its opening weekend. Sprint isn't disclosing sales numbers. Palm, based in Sunnyvale, Calif., said the weekend went well and more Pre phones will be available soon."

These numbers in the great scheme of things are miniscule. Android is supposedly up to 300,000 activations a day. Android activations per day.

By the way people who live in the past are destine to repeat it. I would suggest you get some new bookmarks, these only have meaning to you.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12/12/2010 at 04:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Umm, check your calendar, it's 2010, almost 2011. These articles no longer have any significance, there are two new players in the game.

What do the reviews reveal to you? My take is technology websites don't always get it right. Just do a search on "iPhone will Fail" and see what you get.
    The public has spoken. Too bad reviews alone could not keep Palm independent.

From one of your links: "Analysts estimated that Sprint, the exclusive carrier for the Pre, may have sold 45,000 to 100,000 Pre phones over its opening weekend. Sprint isn't disclosing sales numbers. Palm, based in Sunnyvale, Calif., said the weekend went well and more Pre phones will be available soon."

These numbers in the great scheme of things are miniscule. Android is supposedly up to 300,000 activations a day. Android activations per day.

By the way people who live in the past are destine to repeat it. I would suggest you get some new bookmarks, these only have meaning to you.
    Erm, my post was a response to Mjhunter who posted "If the lukewarm reception the the pre didn't inspire Palm to think bigger" to which my post proved that the response to the Pre- was anything but lukewarm. Try to keep up.

Re-read the links at the bottom of my post. Widespread reports of product shortages are all throughout.

Pre sets first day and first weekend device sales records for Sprint, almost ruins a wedding -- Engadget

Without the device shortages, there's no way to tell how many would have sold, since it was weeks before stocks were replenished again. Palm had the cornerback beat with a clear path to the end zone and ultimately fumbled short of the goal line. It remains to be seen if the current coaching staff can get them the touchdown they've been after. No one can say until at least Q3 of 2011 how it will all pan out.
    Erm, my post was a response to Mjhunter who posted "If the lukewarm reception the the pre didn't inspire Palm to think bigger" to which my post proved that the response to the Pre- was anything but lukewarm. Try to keep up.

Re-read the links at the bottom of my post. Widespread reports of product shortages are all throughout.

Pre sets first day and first weekend device sales records for Sprint, almost ruins a wedding -- Engadget

Without the device shortages, there's no way to tell how many would have sold, since it was weeks before stocks were replenished again. Palm had the cornerback beat with a clear path to the end zone and ultimately fumbled short of the goal line.
    What difference would that have made? Most popular smartphones these days face short-term shortages when launching. The Evo and the Droid Incredible come to mind, and they had inventory issues for far longer than the Sprint Pre.

The difference is that they are still selling months and months later, and their underlying OS is more popular with developers and carriers than ever. WebOS device sales dropped every single quarter, and there is very little love for it amongst carriers and developers.

That's not to say that HP Palm cannot turn it around. But let's not sugarcoat the past or present.

Without the device shortages, there's no way to tell how many would have sold, since it was weeks before stocks were replenished again. Palm had the cornerback beat with a clear path to the end zone and ultimately fumbled short of the goal line. It remains to be seen if the current coaching staff can get them the touchdown they've been after. No one can say until at least Q3 of 2011 how it will all pan out.
    Ok understood, you still have dreams of past grandeur.

This is the real world with real numbers:

iPhone 3G S: 1M Served in Opening Weekend: Apple

Quote: While the tech blogging community may have made much of the Palm Pre’s potential ability to take on the iPhone 3G, the world at large didn’t seem to be aware of any competition, since they went ahead and purchased a staggering 1 million 3G S phones over launch weekend. Compare that to the Pre’s estimated 50,000 opening weekend unit sales. Of course, the iPhone launched worldwide, not just in the U.S., but the disparity is still telling.

Apple iPhone 3GS Sales Even Bigger Than Revised Numbers
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12/12/2010 at 06:57 PM.
    I think we should wait and see what kind of advertising / marketing HP comes out with.

Thats when we will know whether they're gonna fail or not. Because the marketing is what is making or breaking these device platforms right now.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
    A friend who is in the mobile media publishing business told me (due to NDAs he can't say much) that after seeing the roadmap he says that I'll be a happy camper.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    dual core
    super amoled screen(or similar)
    best camera ever in a phone( 10 megapixel, 9x zoom,etc)
    long lasting battery( 9 hours of full use)
    lte (verizon) and wimax (sprint)
    full integrated with hp printers

those are some specs for next years palm devices
    Yes
    yes
    HELL NO! using the same sensor technology, at the cellphone size, a 5 megapixel camera would take better images 99% of the time than a 10 megapixel camera. The more megapixels, the less light per-pixel, the more iso noise, the crappier your image looks.

also, zoom is just digital zoom, so it's like zooming onto the image after taking it (quality suffers). unless you're talking about physical zoom, well that would make the phone massive.

Yes on the battery (i'm okay with the added bulk)
    Don't care since i live in canada, but give me dual hspa+ (uses two hspa+ signals, for theoratical speeds of up to 42mbs, with real ones as high as 12mbs.) (don't really know how it works)
    sure, (don't really care since my printers aren't internet connected)
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    we live in a world of lies. The fact that iphone android sold millions of phones does not prove that they are better. The 3 programers that I know, they all agree that palm is the best os. That's why bb is copying webos. They understand they need the edge to compete. Who ever needs ease of use, top multitasking, nicest design, and solid os all around, needs to look into webos. Who ever is looking for a gazillion apps that 90% are worthless, complicated programs(android), and non important features, should get I phone /android
    I just love some of these posts. Seriously, linking about Apple selling a million iPhones is absurd. Apple could launch an Apple branded whoopie cushion, call it the iFart, and a million people will line up around the block to buy it...because it's Apple.

The original Pre failed to be a huge success, as opposed to the modest success that it actually was, because of 3 factors: 1) a combination of hardware and software issues blunted the initially strong demand, 2) a lack of adequate supply at launch failed to capitalize on the demand when it was strongest, and 3) horrible and virtually non-existent marketing. To this day, I can still easily wow people with iPhones and Droids who have never seen WebOS in action by whipping my phone out and showing them what it can do. My Pre Plus is an excellent phone. Is it top quality, hardware-wise? No. But it's still very solid. The software is second to none.

People need to just kick back, bite their tongues, and wait until CES. Within 6-8 months, especially if they do keep to a new phone every 2 months schedule, I think Palm will be looking at a 4-5% marketshare and rising. We'll see. Time to sit back and dream about the phone possibilities.
    Wow. Not one single tidbit of any information of future devices!!! Wow. Nothing from the HP EVPs. Wow. Nothing recently. Wow.
    Give me one spec that you know of for any upcoming device there is none, so what are people gonna pre order.

The only thing we know is that there are coming out with a tablet and smartphone; no one from HP has said anything further. Don't know what size screen the tablet will have, and no info on form factors for any phones.

So yeah WOW
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast