Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    It seems like TI is boasting their OMAP platform. Do you think we could see this on a future WebOS tablet?

TI's OMAP4440 processor boasts new upgrades, raises the bar for mobile design -- DALLAS, Dec. 8, 2010 /PRNewswire/ --

DALLAS, Dec. 8, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today announced that the OMAP4440 applications processor enhancements deliver impressive performance improvements beyond the OMAP4430 processor, including a 1.25x increase in graphics performance, a 30 percent decrease in webpage load time, a 2x increase in 1080p video playback performance and clock speeds as fast as 1.5 GHz per ARMŽ Cortex™-A9 MPCore™. These marked performance advantages, along with other feature enhancements, reaffirm the OMAP™ 4 platform's ability to drive today's most coveted Smartphone and tablet user experiences, such as 1080p stereoscopic 3D (S3D), 1080p video conferencing and gesture recognition. For OMAP4440 processor details, visit: www.ti.com/omap4440.

"The increased performance given by the OMAP4440 applications processor illustrates TI's ability to push mobile computing possibilities with the right processor architecture enveloped in the right platform," said Remi El-Ouazzane, vice president, OMAP platform business unit, TI. "We seized an opportunity to enhance the platform capabilities driving the OMAP4430 processor's success today. As OMAP4430 processor-based products hit the market in first half 2011, we're arming our customers with a huge performance boost via an easy migration to OMAP4440 processor for their next wave of exciting devices. The resulting user experiences will radically impact how consumers continue to integrate mobile technology into their daily lives."

OMAP4440 processor: Primed for upgraded mobile user experiences

The OMAP 4 platform is a highly-optimized system-on-chip (SOC) leveraging two ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore general-purpose processors, reaching speeds of 1.5 GHz per core, complemented by two ARM Cortex-M3 cores to power-efficiently offload time-critical and control tasks. High-performance multimedia capabilities are provided by programmable cores including a POWERVR™ 3D graphics engine, TI IVA 3 for high-definition/multi-standard video, TI image signal processor (ISP) for high-quality/high-megapixels imaging, TI low-power audio processor and TI digital signal processor (DSP) based on the TI C64x DSP for natural user interface and signal processing innovations optimized for mobile applications.

The OMAP 4 platform efficiently supports concurrent, high-performance processing and high-definition multimedia with dual, high-bandwidth memory channels. The platform is secured with TI M-Shield™ security, and delivers high performance within the small power budget of mobile devices by leveraging TI SmartReflex™ power and performance management technologies. As the second member of the OMAP 4 product family, the OMAP4440 processor's upgraded features and benefits include:
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I'll take that in my next Palm smartphone.
    yes we will see this in "the comming months"
    Not the coming months, in first half 2011. Didn't you read the article?
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    Not to mention I'm sure the OEMs that actually sell devices in volume have those chips on lock down already.
    The OMAP4 was listed by TI as coming in the last half of 2010. It is, to my knowledge (I look around about once a week or so) shipping in only small quantities, apparently with yields not enough for high-end production like someone wanting millions of smartphones powered by it. I hope I'm wrong and TI is shipping it out to customers without much press.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    From the article, this one will not be available until the second half of 2011. No March Palmpad with this. But the specs are quite impressive. I would say the 4430 in the next palm phone and the 4440 in the tablet, if they can get the quantities up.
    webOS with TI OMAP4440? Yes, please!
    The OMAP4430 and OPAP4440 are quite the same so you can move to my topic:
    http://forums.precentral.net/future-...andaboard.html which is using the OMAP4430

The Pandaboard which is equipped with the OMAP4430 (1 GHz ARM Cortex A8, PowerVR SGX540; 1 GB DDR2 RAM,...) is except for the little bit faster clocked OMAP4440 the same.
    Maybe it's quite easy to make the current webOS v1.45 or v2.0 work on the OMAP4xxx (current devices use the single core OMAP3xxx TI processor).
    Last edited by magog96; 12/08/2010 at 06:08 PM.
    Juergen
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Im curious as to why there was no mention of its ability to drive up to 3 simultaneous displays, which we have known about since August.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Don't expect any of Palm's upcoming products, at least within the 1st half of 2011, to sport an OMAP4. I have my (pretty good) sources. Those who have seen my posts here before know that I correctly predicted that the Palm Pre 2 would have an OMAP3630 chip.

I think it's much more likely that we see Tegra2 based phones and tablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    yes we will see this in "the comming months"
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    And second half with production models. We wont see the next phone with it, but I am sure next year we might see one with it ... or in 2012. We'll see.
    IF you look at it this way, TI needed to work with someone to test the new core. HP maybe willing to do anything to get a jump on the others when they bring their product out in 2011. Maybe TI and HP have been working together to get this chip ready to rock -n- roll. Well we can hope.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    looks like rim has been teaming with TI and the omap 4430 chip which is mass production ready.

RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook using a 1GHz OMAP 4430 processor -- Engadget
    i love the playbook, i hope blackberry copies webos for their phones too.... the new omap4 or even the tegra chips are really fast. Looks like we will have no limits for phones anymore. Look at the Atrix. You just need a screen and your phone in futur... COOL