Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50
  1. Trusttee's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
       #1  
    I've mentioned before that I'm a former WebOS user who still holds interest. Which is why I still cruise around PreCentral from time to time to see what that "latest" has to say.

    I must admit though - the comments from some (if not most) of the articles are beginning to sound downright bleak around here. As someone who hope to be able to come back to an awesome (and well-supported) product in the future, I'm not sure if its possible with the amount of negativity being pushed around lately. Honestly, I just read a "put up or shut down" comment - in regard to the upcoming CES - for a recent article that sums up a lot of what I've been sensing from the current user base.

    Is this what its come down too? I never once thought I was leaving a sinking ship but I'm starting to get the impression that no matter how impressed people are with WebOS, its down to the do-or-die time for it. I'm not sure if this is the case as HP has more than enough resources to pour into Palm but if they lose their current user base - what does that do for them in the long run? I guess I might be stuck with Apple a lot longer than I thought (which I'm fully prepared for since its so far so good). Stay dedicated folks - it will get better when HP is ready to go ALL in! Which I'm sure is soon...
  2. #2  
    One thing i dont understand... many people keep saying they're going to ditch their Palm devices and go to Android or iOS or whatever...

    ....so what are you going to do with your old Pres and Pixis? Toss them in the trash?

    Why dont you keep them and still use them on wifi? Why dont you stay in touch?

    Why so melodramatic? =/
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

    I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
  3. #3  
    I've mentioned before that I'm a former WebOS user who still holds interest.
    So as a former webOS user, you are surprised that others want to become "former" webOS users too?
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
  4. #4  
    Hey Trusttee,

    Yep, whenever everything goes quiet from a company (HP in this case) the natives get restless. There are a lot of loyal members who simply want some sort of official word from the company that they have big things coming instead of dead silence. It will all change and get jumping again when that happens. It's just that the wait is frustrating and members wish HP would reward loyalty with some kind of word. No matter what, it's only a phone and a fickle industry. People will always come and go to whoever has the latest and greatest. In the meantime... hang in there.. it's coming.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    There are a lot of loyal members who simply want some sort of official word from the company that they have big things coming instead of dead silence.

    Haven't we had that a number of times over the last month or two..?

    Seems like people are just howling with desire for shiny new devices to play with, instead of mere words.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

    I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
  6. #6  
    Well since I am not from HP... the mere words are just my own opinion. I prefer to hope that HP will stick to their plans and this is just the quiet before the storm.
  7. #7  
    Oh, it totally is.. they just pushed out a new version of their OS, and released the Pre 2 to run it. The Pre 2 is kinda like Google's Nexus One, its the benchmark. It's there to let devs know that this is the target for their apps, to give them a platform to work on and develop new applications while new devices are about to come to market.

    What would have happened if they'd waited?

    We'd get a bunch of new Palm devices sporting a new improved OS... and no apps for them. And that woulda been a huge mistake.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

    I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
  8. #8  
    It's not that far off...I can wait. Besides, being in retail I won't have time to enjoy anything until 2011 anyways!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!


  9. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #9  
    It's not that far off...
    You can find posts like this from various people going back to December 2009 - I guess eventually it will have to happen.
  10. #10  
    Let me get this straight. The OP left the platform, but is telling others to hang on? Really?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trusttee View Post
    ...
    Is this what its come down too? I never once thought I was leaving a sinking ship but I'm starting to get the impression that no matter how impressed people are with WebOS, its down to the do-or-die time for it. I'm not sure if this is the case as HP has more than enough resources to pour into Palm but if they lose their current user base - what does that do for them in the long run? I guess I might be stuck with Apple a lot longer than I thought (which I'm fully prepared for since its so far so good). Stay dedicated folks - it will get better when HP is ready to go ALL in! Which I'm sure is soon...
    I think you're letting a vocal minority on here sway you. Unfortunately, it's a very vocal minority, and they seem to be pretty free to say anything they want unopposed.

    Go to the complaint thread. Read some of the complaints if you want some "entertainment value", but take a look at the poll on that thread. In spite of the complaints, in spite of the negativity that runs rampant here, over 70% if the Pre owners on that poll are happy with their Pre.

    That says a lot about the Pre (positively) and also about the forum and what it's become (not so positively).
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Let me get this straight. The OP left the platform, but is telling others to hang on? Really?
    Yeah...I'm still waiting on an explanation on that one.
  13. Trusttee's Avatar
    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
       #13  
    Explanation huh?...I find it comical when individuals call-out the OP implying they are doing something wrong for being here. Regardless, I'm a launch Pre owner - former or however you want to spin it. Before that, I was one of the dreaded Instinct owners - and before that a Treo owner. Additionally, I took advantage of the homebrew scene too. I had the launch Pre patched plenty (thanks Sconix) and overclocked to kick WebOS into hyperdrive.

    Bottom line is I enjoyed my time spent with WebOS - especially the UI aspect. However, I (like many) had enough of feeling left in the dark when it came to figuring out the direction HP was taking Palm in. And even though they offer up insinuations, the time has been long past to truly get real info on upcoming hardware (not Pre 2) and other news like partnership, developer support, and such. At the end of the day I truly couldn't sit and watch the experience others were getting out of both Android and iOS; that are both extremely supported at this point and moving forward non-stop. Yesterday's e-mail from Epocrates is a bit concerning. I saw it - cause I got it - and it really didn't seem to mesh with the newness of the HP/Palm relationship. I mean, how could they let something like that happen (considering the amount of med professionals who use that app)?

    Anyway, spin it however you want - but I'm a fan of WebOS, just not the shoddy business tactics/strategies its been surrounded by in the last 6 months or so. I just recently left Sprint about 45 days ago and I'm fine. The OP (that's me) is still interested in mobile technology as a whole and therefore shows interest in things that are deserving of such. Whether you have a problem with that or not isn't what I'm hear to feed when I inquire on these topics that interest me as well as many others.

    Maybe the real question is this. If your aim seems to be centered on the "why are you here" skit that so many do nowadays...where are you creating real concerns/questions that desperately need to be addressed in the HP/Palm environment right now? From my point of view, you are wasting valuable time addressing me in the manner you have. And maybe I've just wasted a bit of my time with a rebuttal to it but hey, HP/Palm/PreCentral/and whoever can read this and know my concern is genuine.
  14. noahisaac's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #14  
    I completely understand what the OP is saying. It's not about feeling abandoned, it's about hoping for the best to come for webOS. He left the Pre because he wanted some cool new feature, but that doesn't mean he's angry at H/Palm for not being the most up-to-date smartphone vendor.

    I enjoy my Pre every time I use it. I love that thing. Hardware and software. It's the best phone I've ever owned. Would I like to see a new model and new features? Sure, but I'm not going to trash the manufacturer and the platform because I feel left out of the cool clique. I don't think that will help anything.

    I guess lots of people feel the squeeky wheel really is the only way to get attention. For my part, I thank Palm for a great product, and I want them to know that I eagerly await the next cool webOS thing, with my wallet wide open (hint, hint).
  15. #15  
    I kind of understand where the OP is coming from. Everybody been so negative when we are suppose to be the main one having hope for Hp and palm. I was hoping of using the new phone every year for Sprint deal and getting a new phone by June of this year, but that haven't happen. Waiting and waiting, all we keep hearing is coming months and that gets old fast. The OP left his Pre but he's not being negative about it. He want to see good things and I do to. I don't want to give up because spent to much time and money with WebOS. Just want a shinny new phone!
  16. #16  
    <<thread cleaned>>

    Lets keep the arguing out of the thread please folks. It's just a phone and everyone one an opinion as valid as the next.

    I believe there are a lot of members using another OS but still posting here because they like cool hardware, but are still rooting for Palm and hoping and waiting for webOS to be released on some kick **** hardware. Nothing wrong in sampling other systems/hardware and still supporting webOS! If you come down to it, that's very cool and a mindset other companies would love to have during down times (which all companies have). That's just my opinion and I'm not starting a flame war. Let's please stay on topic with less arguing please.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trusttee View Post
    Explanation huh?...I find it comical when individuals call-out the OP implying they are doing something wrong for being here. Regardless, I'm a launch Pre owner - former or however you want to spin it. Before that, I was one of the dreaded Instinct owners - and before that a Treo owner. Additionally, I took advantage of the homebrew scene too. I had the launch Pre patched plenty (thanks Sconix) and overclocked to kick WebOS into hyperdrive.

    Bottom line is I enjoyed my time spent with WebOS - especially the UI aspect. However, I (like many) had enough of feeling left in the dark when it came to figuring out the direction HP was taking Palm in. And even though they offer up insinuations, the time has been long past to truly get real info on upcoming hardware (not Pre 2) and other news like partnership, developer support, and such. At the end of the day I truly couldn't sit and watch the experience others were getting out of both Android and iOS; that are both extremely supported at this point and moving forward non-stop. Yesterday's e-mail from Epocrates is a bit concerning. I saw it - cause I got it - and it really didn't seem to mesh with the newness of the HP/Palm relationship. I mean, how could they let something like that happen (considering the amount of med professionals who use that app)?

    Anyway, spin it however you want - but I'm a fan of WebOS, just not the shoddy business tactics/strategies its been surrounded by in the last 6 months or so. I just recently left Sprint about 45 days ago and I'm fine. The OP (that's me) is still interested in mobile technology as a whole and therefore shows interest in things that are deserving of such. Whether you have a problem with that or not isn't what I'm hear to feed when I inquire on these topics that interest me as well as many others.

    Maybe the real question is this. If your aim seems to be centered on the "why are you here" skit that so many do nowadays...where are you creating real concerns/questions that desperately need to be addressed in the HP/Palm environment right now? From my point of view, you are wasting valuable time addressing me in the manner you have. And maybe I've just wasted a bit of my time with a rebuttal to it but hey, HP/Palm/PreCentral/and whoever can read this and know my concern is genuine.
    Ok, so you told people to "stay dedicated" but you yourself chose not to. Why is that?
  18. #18  
    yeah to me I understand the OP orginal post, but Im curious too, what made you finally pull out and leave Palm at this point?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by mickykitsune View Post
    The Pre 2 is kinda like Google's Nexus One, its the benchmark. It's there to let devs know that this is the target for their apps, to give them a platform to work on and develop new applications while new devices are about to come to market.

    What would have happened if they'd waited?

    We'd get a bunch of new Palm devices sporting a new improved OS... and no apps for them. And that woulda been a huge mistake.
    What makes you say it's the new benchmark? When over 99% of currently used hardware is being run on 500mHz with 256MB of memory and 8GB of storage? Seems like until they at least match current users with updated specs that this gen's Pre is the benchmark for the next while.
  20. #20  
    No reason for people to be so negative. It ruins the idea and spirit of the community.


    My Themes:CLICK HERE
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions