Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Trusttee View Post
    I've mentioned before that I'm a former WebOS user who still holds interest. Which is why I still cruise around PreCentral from time to time to see what that "latest" has to say.

I must admit though - the comments from some (if not most) of the articles are beginning to sound downright bleak around here. As someone who hope to be able to come back to an awesome (and well-supported) product in the future, I'm not sure if its possible with the amount of negativity being pushed around lately. Honestly, I just read a "put up or shut down" comment - in regard to the upcoming CES - for a recent article that sums up a lot of what I've been sensing from the current user base.

Is this what its come down too? I never once thought I was leaving a sinking ship but I'm starting to get the impression that no matter how impressed people are with WebOS, its down to the do-or-die time for it. I'm not sure if this is the case as HP has more than enough resources to pour into Palm but if they lose their current user base - what does that do for them in the long run? I guess I might be stuck with Apple a lot longer than I thought (which I'm fully prepared for since its so far so good). Stay dedicated folks - it will get better when HP is ready to go ALL in! Which I'm sure is soon...
    Go fly a Kite!!!

Lol lol lol ltm ltm ltm...LMAOTTVINMH....Lol Tutrtles RULE!!!
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    yeah to me I understand the OP orginal post, but Im curious too, what made you finally pull out and leave Palm at this point?
    Honestly - I think it was due to my last deployment (USAF). It was only four months (May-August 2010) but the entire time I had a roommate who had a 3GS; I know, spare me the hate lol. Anyway, I was shown a lot of impressive things the different apps were available to do. And if you note the timeline, it was during some very interesting times for Palm - having just come off the (for the most part failed) launch of the Pre Plus on Verizon heading into the mystery zone with their business status to partnering with/being bought by HP. Not to mention the launch of the iPhone 4 which was riddled with controversy of course. By the time I got back, I was admittidely stressed over the whole situation and was really looking for some good news. Than the mystery device (Roadrunner HD?) started popping up and things started looking more promising. However, once the spec sheet came out on it - I was a bit dissapointed in its idea of being an upgrade; as I'm sure many of us were/are. But the biggest bomb laid on it all was when news finally surfaced of it not even launching here in the US first; with a big undetermined to go along with. That - ladies and gentlemen - is the straw that broke the camel's back. Not to mention a trip to Las Vegas where I got to mess around with my cousin's iPhone 4 pretty much sealed the deal. Where I live - the coverage is awesome so it being "stuck" (as someone else put it) with AT&T has been just fine. I'm not a ****** of Apple by no means, and I'll be rooting for WebOS till it busts through their current holdup (market-wise) or if it shall eventually die. "Till the death"
    I don't blame the negativity....Palm is working at a snails pace, pretty much now playing catch-up with existing technology in the market.I'm surprised they still act like they are working on a super secret project that will knock your socks off ...which we found out yesterdays ( Dive into Mobile) interview next big thing is webOS2.0 it self. Which was suppose to come this year, but has now changed to "coming months". To top it off Epocrates has decided to bail out on webOS where is HP-Palm seems like they don't give a crap. Its business as usual.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Go fly a Kite!!!

Lol lol lol ltm ltm ltm...LMAOTTVINMH....Lol Tutrtles RULE!!!
    Go eat a
    jk lol... white text RULES!
    Ya site has been a downer lately. I do not think it matters what happens to current users. Its not like Palm has 50% market share and everyone is threatening to leave.

I think we are all hoping to get somewhere around 20-25% market share before webOS is killed off and 25-.5(being our approximated current market share) =24.5. Point being i do not think HP cares if we leave because they have bigger future plans.

Hold tight or leave the choice is yours, but something tells me that HP has confidence that they can get you back(or 25 others to replace you). I do not know if they are wrong or right, but its obviously their mindset with comments like its never to late to jump in and have patience.

The sad fact is that they need to concentrate on devs and thier next gen products not the current customer base.
    I really want to say that this period of silence & negativity is quite familiar. This was how Palm let themselves morph from king of the hill (of the Treo 600 age) to an irrelevent player; except that the previous death spiral took what, 4-5 years?

It's the exact same script that Palm is playing: get a hit device out (Treo 600 then; Pre now). Then make a boring rehash that took too long to come out (Treo 650; Pre Plus). And then release more rehashes while dying into oblivion (Treo 680/755p...; Pre 2). People were and are vocal because they don't want to see Palm bleed them self to death.

I'm just surprised that after so much change of personal at Palm and a new CEO; the "new" Palm is facing the market with exactly the same play script as the "old" Palm. I dread the day when people started putting the "Cobalt" label on future releases of webOS. (old Palm OS users should remember the phantom that is Cobalt, right?)

For me it was easier to stay on the Palm OS ship, though. Most Palm OS devices were built to last; while my launch day Pre has a crack here and a bad electrical connection there just after one year's use.

I guess the best remedy would be to just forget about Palm, forget about phones, go focus on more important things in life. Comeback, or leave when you actually need a new phone. Moral is, Palm is not a good company for you to have "feelings of attachment" towards.
    It will be a lot less negative if most people make good on their threats and leave on Jan. 10, 2011.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    It will be a lot less negative if most people make good on their threats and leave on Jan. 10, 2011.
    Whats going to happen on Jan 10 2011?
    CES runs from Jan. 6 to Jan. 9.

Then again, if HPalm does announce a new superphone at CES, we'll have to hear them whine about how it's going to launch "in the coming months".
    Last edited by rsanchez1; 12/08/2010 at 03:22 PM.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post

It's the exact same script that Palm is playing: get a hit device out (Treo 600 then; Pre now). Then make a boring rehash that took too long to come out (Treo 650; Pre Plus). And then release more rehashes while dying into oblivion (Treo 680/755p...; Pre 2). People were and are vocal because they don't want to see Palm bleed them self to death.
    Difference is that the Pre wasn't a hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    CES runs from Jan. 6 to Jan. 9.

Then again, if HPalm does announce a new superphone at CES, we'll have to hear them whine about how it's going to launch "in the coming months".
    Its live on G4
    Palm will be eaten and dead before Christmas next year anyhow. HP will make fine phones though. Get Whatever phone you want casue there's nothing to wait for.

..sorry the negativity of this thread got to me. I am with Trustee, yall should be ashamed of yourselves for talking bad and leaving palm

Sent from my iPhone

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Palm will be eaten and dead before Christmas next year anyhow. HP will make fine phones though. Get Whatever phone you want casue there's nothing to wait for.

..sorry the negativity of this thread got to me. I am with Trustee, yall should be ashamed of yourselves for talking bad and leaving palm

Sent from my iPhone
    Agreed. Palm has the freshest and easiest-to-use UI of any available smartphone out. How dare they leave.

-Sent from my Windows Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrandonf View Post
    What makes you say it's the new benchmark? When over 99% of currently used hardware is being run on 500mHz with 256MB of memory and 8GB of storage? Seems like until they at least match current users with updated specs that this gen's Pre is the benchmark for the next while.
    Its the new benchmark, because all subsequent devices will be at least this good. Because apps developed on and tested with this new benchmark will work even better on all subsequent devices.
    Hence the Nexus One comparison.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
    Quote Originally Posted by mickykitsune View Post
    Oh, it totally is.. they just pushed out a new version of their OS, and released the Pre 2 to run it. The Pre 2 is kinda like Google's Nexus One, its the benchmark. It's there to let devs know that this is the target for their apps, to give them a platform to work on and develop new applications while new devices are about to come to market.

What would have happened if they'd waited?

We'd get a bunch of new Palm devices sporting a new improved OS... and no apps for them. And that woulda been a huge mistake.
    And by the time the new hardware comes out, that new OS will be months old and stale. It would be better to start with webos 3.
    What's there to be positive about webos these days? Enyo, webos 2.0 with stacks, just type, another doc viewer, palm pre 2 being delayed by verizon, loss of big time deva like epocrates, patched up os and shaky hardware or silence from hp or listening to Jon Rubinstein saying that he has no attachment to the palm name brand?

Sorry I am one of the most biggest supporters of palm and webos but there is absolutely nothing to be positive about right now

The only news we hear is about pdk and enyo and ares and db8 and other behind the scenes features that honestly, should remain behind the scenes, yet as someone who follows precentral daily all I hear is about that stuff. The average consumer like myself could care less how things are done, we just want results and a good consumer product.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    What's there to be positive about webos these days? Enyo, webos 2.0 with stacks, just type, another doc viewer, palm pre 2 being delayed by verizon, loss of big time deva like epocrates, patched up os and shaky hardware or silence from hp or listening to Jon Rubinstein saying that he has no attachment to the palm name brand?

Sorry I am one of the most biggest supporters of palm and webos but there is absolutely nothing to be positive about right now

The only news we hear is about pdk and enyo and ares and db8 and other behind the scenes features that honestly, should remain behind the scenes, yet as someone who follows precentral daily all I hear is about that stuff. The average consumer like myself could care less how things are done, we just want results and a good consumer product.
    Don't forget about the titillating excitement over an Angry Birds update!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrandonf View Post
    Don't forget about the titillating excitement over an Angry Birds update!
    Oh yes, the angry birds update. Woohoo...
    That's really a great question. I still have my Pre Minus and looking forward to webOS 2.0. I'm still excited, though I can see people getting tired of no good news.

Keeping hope and looking forward to January! Sorli...

Quote Originally Posted by mickykitsune View Post
    One thing i dont understand... many people keep saying they're going to ditch their Palm devices and go to Android or iOS or whatever...

....so what are you going to do with your old Pres and Pixis? Toss them in the trash?

Why dont you keep them and still use them on wifi? Why dont you stay in touch?

Why so melodramatic? =/
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast