Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So... who was watching?

Apart from how he kept repeating in every answer that there are exciting new devices coming, including a tablet.... not much news?

Except for this one line:
    "Right now we are really quiet cause we don't have anything we can talk about."

Does that mean no news... or lots of news, but its a secret?
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
    It's just looking sooo bad for the Palm brand now.

I know it's just a name, but his reply to Kara Swisher seemed so negative.

No wonder everyone is jumping ship now. I have too, but somehow I wish I could buy another Palm someday.

That ASUS wp7 phone is looking hot anyway. (The taiwanese model holding it is hot too btw. )
    someone please fire jon. He is the most unethusiastic person on earth. He doesn't even give people a chance to have hope. Holy ****. Most negative person I've seen.
    Global Posts
    846 Global Posts
    Didnt he just confirm that Palm as a name is going away? It seemed like it.
    Yeah, he confirmed no more Palm.

Kara: Okay, so when is your phone coming out? Is the Palm name going to continue?

Jon: What do you think?

Kara: No, kill it.

Jon: Okay you heard it here first. You know honestly I have no allegiance to it. It has some good connotations, it has some bad.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Palm Is Far From 'Game Over,' Says Former Chief - NYTimes.com

Give the man a break, it's quite period before quarterly reports and projections. A 50 billion dollar company has many legal obligation to its shareholders. These obligations include product launches, and sales projections. Everything they do has to be measured and controlled.

Besides, he said:

A year from now, this will be a very different conversation, Mr. Rubinstein said. Weve got a variety of radically new products coming out.

If you don't have hope, and have spare change, go play with a robot phone or a fruit phone. And stop trolling.
  7.    #7  
    On the plus side, they have Mike Lazaridis up on stage talking about RIM, and he sounds about the same as a politician who's just blowing hot air and making up random answers on the spot. Wow.
    Australian Apple fan

I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
  8.    #8  
    So far, Google's Andy Rubin (and Android 2.3 and 3.0) is the only guy who's come out of this looking good.

Joe Belfiore from Microsoft comes off looking like a deer in the headlights, and like he just wants to say "Look, we did the best we could, alright?!"
    Rubenstein comes off as kinda tired out, and wishing people would be patient while they get their act together.
    And Lazaridis comes out looking like a pompous full-of-himself blowhard who cant answer questions without lying.
    Australian Apple fan

Quote Originally Posted by nicekyo View Post
    Palm Is Far From 'Game Over,' Says Former Chief - NYTimes.com

Give the man a break, it's quite period before quarterly reports and projections. A 50 billion dollar company has many legal obligation to its shareholders. These obligations include product launches, and sales projections. Everything they do has to be measured and controlled.

Besides, he said:

A year from now, this will be a very different conversation, Mr. Rubinstein said. Weve got a variety of radically new products coming out.

If you don't have hope, and have spare change, go play with a robot phone or a fruit phone. And stop trolling.
    The word "trolling" gets thrown around entirely too much and for no good reason. If you want to sit around and have "hope" we'll light a candle for you. Others want to comment on the event, nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Don't fire Jon. HP should fire whatever executives keeps sending him to do media events when he has absolutely nothing to say. What is the point of that? It's pretty concerning that he doesn't have a hardware prototype or a pic of a UI to flash up there. I mean, nothing?
    Good point, I thought the same thing, why parade him out there with nothing. Everything he said could have been posted in facebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by mickykitsune View Post
    So far, Google's Andy Rubin (and Android 2.3 and 3.0) is the only guy who's come out of this looking good.

Joe Belfiore from Microsoft comes off looking like a deer in the headlights, and like he just wants to say "Look, we did the best we could, alright?!"
    Rubenstein comes off as kinda tired out, and wishing people would be patient while they get their act together.
    And Lazaridis comes out looking like a pompous full-of-himself blowhard who cant answer questions without lying.

The RIM interview was hilarious! I think RIM is dead now. Soon even the developing world will want iPhones and Android devices.

I am no longer expecting anything but fantastic printers (for which I have little use) to come out of webOS. I think this game is between Apple, Google and Microsoft, and that the other players will be eclipsed in the long term.

Right now wp7 looks the best, although with limited features and apps. Android is a mess, but with Matias Duarte's input, it will become really nice soon enough. iOS is the most functional, although the interface is getting meh, and the need for itunes is a turn-off. But the former Palm guy that was hired will fix the notification system, and itunes will be cloud based some day, so things should be better.

What I want to say is, maybe we just won't miss Palm and webOS a year from now. I know I've moved on. It's like mourning, in a way.

But now that my Palm ****** days are over, I am starting to really enjoy what today's mobile technology has to offer. It was about time.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/07/2010 at 07:36 PM. Reason: posting around language filters
    So did you guys notice this on:
    Jon Rubinstein live from D: Dive Into Mobile;

Jon: If you look at webOS 2.0, we've done a lot of innovative things. It's got 50 new features, Flash, Skype, new Facebook app...
    Finally!! A sign of Skype coming to WebOS!!!!

So I tweeted;
    Now let's hope we'll get a little more info out of it!
    Get's me wondering though;
    Can we count up to 50 known features for webos 2.0 now?
    Will Skype be coming along with the exhibition and probably/hopefully even more cool stuff?!
  13.    #13  
    tk 421?

Why aren't you at your post?
    Australian Apple fan

Quote Originally Posted by TheDizzAR View Post
    So did you guys notice this on:
    Jon Rubinstein live from D: Dive Into Mobile;

Finally!! A sign of Skype coming to WebOS!!!!

So I tweeted;

Now let's hope we'll get a little more info out of it!
    Yes, we've known that for a while now
    On the plus side, they have Mike Lazaridis up on stage talking about RIM, and he sounds about the same as a politician who's just blowing hot air and making up random answers on the spot. Wow.
    LOL, yeah. Lazaridis appearances are a personal highlight for me now that Roger McNamee is out of the picture.
    tk 421?

Why aren't you at your post?

I would be if some mystical fox hadn't cast a spell on me. Those damn foxes, always playing tricks!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by tk 421 View Post
    I would be if some mystical fox hadn't cast a spell on me. Those damn foxes, always playing tricks!
    I like my new icon but its still a work in progress.
    Australian Apple fan

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    The word "trolling" gets thrown around entirely too much and for no good reason. If you want to sit around and have "hope" we'll light a candle for you. Others want to comment on the event, nothing wrong with that.
    Look, user eggroks posted a similar post in another thread (http://forums.precentral.net/2787715-post49.html) without meaningful reason(s). If you don't call that trolling, I don't what is.

I am open to comments, but come on, at least express them with a thought process. I am all up for a debate or a discussion if you will. For example, if you want to fire someone, there must be a set of metrics to evaluate that individual. Along with those metrics, how does he/she measure up to expectations. What areas did he failed? What areas did he succeed?

I personally think Jon made many mistakes, but so has the entire senior management team at Palm. Unless you are given the tools to succeed, which I don't think Jon was, all roads lead to failure.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    The word "trolling" gets thrown around entirely too much and for no good reason.
    ...and usually, as in this case, by folks who haven't the faintest clue what it actually means.
    Well HP Palm has said everything is "in the coming months" so let's see if they hold their word! It starts at CES (hopefully).

My Themes:CLICK HERE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast