Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    We all know that we are a shrinking niche product with great potential, but it still hurts to read the comment in their list of 5 things to return.

I tried posting the link, but I can't until I get a few more posts to the forums.

The article link is in their SCITECH section entitled "Gadget Groaners: The Top Five Tech Gifts You Should Return" and goes like this:

"4. Palm Pre, free

That old saw, you get what you pay for, has never been more true when it comes to the Palm Pre. Sure, it's free -- with a contract -- but it won't make you happy.

Pushed by a single manufacturer, HP, Palm software was simply too late to the smartphone party (I know, it was the original smart handheld device, but the iPhone changed everything). The result is a platform with little software support, so it lacks all those attractive apps that really make Android and iPhone handsets sing -- and makes them fun to use.

The Palm Pre is also unlikely to gain any further support, since most developers are tied to the Apple iPhone or running in droves to the Android market. The Pre is a great little phone, sure, but it's all on its own."

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...eturn/#content
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/07/2010 at 01:20 PM.
    Doug

"Call me anything you want - just not late for dinner."
    I feel the same way. I loved my Pre plus. But the honeymoon is over. I am now just waiting for an iPhone on Verizon. The sad thing is, there is SO MUCH potential, but little to no real gains in over a year is basically going in reverse at this point. The only other Pre user I know is about to jump ship for the Samsung Evo. I fear that while there very well could not be a palm anymore if hp hadn't bought them, at the end of the day, in the smart phone market, webOS is going to languish in the land of hobby.
    Are they wrong? Giving someone a Pre for Christmas just seems mean.
    Horrible list. I left a comment though

<added link to OP's post>
    They weren't very kind to the iPhone 4 either....
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Sadly, I have to agree with that. It's not as bad as they make it out to be, but they pretty much nailed it.
    True, there are better products for some items, but think about it... this article wasn't well thought out at all. There are soooo many other crappy items out there that qualify as "must return" over these items (but I do agree with the 3D tv mention).
    Everything gets dissed sooner or later by someone.
    LIVE HARD, PLAY HARDER and KNOW WHEN TO SHUT ONES MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    True, there are better products for some items, but think about it... this article wasn't well thought out at all. There are soooo many other crappy items out there that qualify as "must return" over these items (but I do agree with the 3D tv mention).
    Yea, I completely disagree that you should return the Pre lol. It's still a pretty fun phone. We are sorely lacking in developer support though... I'm hoping things get back on track by late next year lol.
    I don't feell so bad since the iPhone 4 was listed. Personally, I love all three varieties of Pre I have. There is nothing better IMHO!

What caught my eye and should catch HP Palms too was this. C'mon HP Palm... A little sneak peak couldn't hurt.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Yeah the review is a tad off
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Just posted my own comment to this poorly researched piece. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Meh. A newspaper is the last place I would go for electronics advice.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Are they wrong? Giving someone a Pre for Christmas just seems mean.
    It's not the phone part that I'm concerned about, it's the contract.

Give someone a Bell Pre, now THAT's mean (though they dropped the contract to 2 years now...)
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    The iPhone has plateaued and Android is becoming a dime in a dozen and people will eventually ask "What else?" HP Palm is not a follower to a overplayed hype but make their own tune. Very true app development is hurting and appears will always since Google and Apple have been providing incentives to them but now HP is in play and they can compete with those incentives and have a CRAP load of engineers to make apps. They may not want to do it but appears to get the app list a good kick-start, HP will have fill it in house for a while or push out competitive incentives to make apps for webos till the market share picks up.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Well, I'm sure that a real HP-Palm developed device will launch with a drastic infusion of apps that I think HP has been either cooking or sitting on.
    HP/Palm isn't helping themselves out very much.
    Look at it this way, the same list also includes the iPhone 4 and the Wii, so it can't be 100% correct, right?
    What is FoxNews?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast