1.    #1  
    This is brutal. Painful. I'm in my neighborhood Best Buy, and for the first time in at least 20 years there isn't a single Palm device on the shelf. Oj, I found a couple of crimpled, resealed boxes with Pixi Touchstone backs, but that's it. Pathetic.

Note to HP: if you don't do something cool, and SOON, HP Palm won't even be a bad memory, just a billion dollar footnote in your annual report.

Please, HP, you've got a mound of gold in Palm. Do something. NOW!
    Hoping for a huge rebound in 2011.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    I believe 2011 will be a great year for webOS
    Not Missing in Action just planing the massive attack!
    This isn't an urgent "must act now" situation with webOS. Maybe it would have been for a little company like Palm, but this is HP we're dealing with now. They won't die off if they don't act right now.
    Quiet before the storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    This isn't an urgent "must act now" situation with webOS. Maybe it would have been for a little company like Palm, but this is HP we're dealing with now. They won't die off if they don't act right now.
    If you think anybody - Nokia, Microsoft, HP - has the luxury of entering the field whenever they want and thriving against Android and iOS, you are sadly mistaken. Whether HP "dies off" or not is irrelevant. Whether WebOS dies off in the eyes of carriers, developers, and consumers is most certainly relevant, and that is the problem that is being exacerbated by the silence and half-baked launches HP Palm are executing.

There's a reason why Microsoft hauled **** to get WP7 phones to market NOW, instead of when they had all of their ducks lined up as far as multitasking or cut and paste. There's a reason why RIM is demoing the Playbook for whoever will give them 5 minutes of time even though it is far from finished. These behemoths - especially relative to Palm - cannot afford to wait even with their sizable war chests and mindshare. Every platform aside from iOS and Android is leaking considerable customers at an alarming and accelerating rate. In 6 months, the tablet market will be almost as glutted as the smartphone market is right now. There aren't an infinite amount of customers ready to fork over $200 for a two-year contract w/ data plan.

Ready or not, HP has to get out there and start competing with the big boys. However long-term their strategy may be, it is all for naught if they can't chalk up some major short-term progress to convince people WebOS is a platform to be taken seriously.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    If you think anybody - Nokia, Microsoft, HP - has the luxury of entering the field whenever they want and thriving against Android and iOS, you are sadly mistaken.
    OP here.

This is exactly what I meant in my original posting.

Think about it. 15 years ago, Palm had a lock on the PIM market. 5 years ago, before BlackBerry came along, Treo was the corporate phone. And now, just a few years later, PreCentral tells us that Palm has a 1.2% market share, but even that it optimistic and probably includes the few existing Treos and Palm Pilots. Tech markets are so volatile--"you snooze you lose" doesn't begin to say it.

But now, HP has the ammo it needs in WebOS and Palm. Don't wait! The infidels are storming the gate! Aux armes! ĦAbajo los franceses! Let's go Palm! Gimme an H! Gimme a P!

Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBears View Post
    OP here.

The infidels are storming the gate!
    Em...Field Marshall, bad news...your messengers must have been caught or killed...the gates have been overrun. Palm and it's users are is in full retreat. As evidenced by your reconnoiter of Bestbuy, your supply lines have been cut.
    Volatility is right, but that works to Palms advantage right now. If they come out with a must-have device, they can jump right in there. Come on, Android was nothing not that long ago. Most folks change phones every two years, some every year. There's plenty of room for Palm if they have a good plan, and hopefully the waiting means the plan is being well-developed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Instrumental27 View Post
    Volatility is right, but that works to Palms advantage right now. If they come out with a must-have device, they can jump right in there. Come on, Android was nothing not that long ago. Most folks change phones every two years, some every year. There's plenty of room for Palm if they have a good plan, and hopefully the waiting means the plan is being well-developed.
    This is exactly right. The state of the market now shows that all you have to do is come out with a flashy 4G phone to get back in the game. As much as I hate the phrase, as long as HP is serious about "in the coming months", webOS is not in any danger of becoming irrelevant.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    This is exactly right. The state of the market now shows that all you have to do is come out with a flashy 4G phone to get back in the game.
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    What?
    Exactly that.

The "webOS is doomed" people tends to think that markets are static, and that's absolutely wrong.

Look at 2008 Android sales: 640.000 phones.
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Exactly that.

The "webOS is doomed" people tends to think that markets are static, and that's absolutely wrong.

Look at 2008 Android sales: 640.000 phones.
    It went onsale at the end of October of that year. 640k sold on the last place US carrier in two months. Perspective, m'lad....
    And yes, the market is dynamic, and things can and do change. But essentially, Palm's strategy has as much to do with RIM and Microsoft failing as it does with HP Palm and WebOS succeeding. That's never a good position to be in.