Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    [QUOTE=Imperator;2796167]
    Sprint is not at all out of the running, but they won't carry the Pre 2. I'm told Sprint will get a high-end handset later in the year that looks similar to HTC's HD2 in form factor. That implies an on-screen multitouch-enabled keyboard.

QUOTE]

Hi all,

Thanks for the info, sounds good to me,
    take care,
    Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator View Post
    I hate to join in on the baseless rumor poo-flinging on the wall (to see what sticks) but I was surprised to meet a regional HP/Palm trainer at a party last weekend. He didn't give me any secret "bet the house on it" kind of info, but I did get to spend some time playing around with his already-activated Verizon Pre 2, complete with WebOS 2.0 and native Flash-enabled browser.

Some observations and info I gained after talking to him:

WebOS 2.0 is pretty close. I should expect to run it on my OG Sprint Palm Pre without issue. It's also very snappy on his Pre 2.

The Pre 2 feels a lot like my original Pre. I'm not confident the slider mechanism will prevent any future Oreo-action after 200 uses. Overall, it looks slightly thicker.

Sprint is not at all out of the running, but they won't carry the Pre 2. I'm told Sprint will get a high-end handset later in the year that looks similar to HTC's HD2 in form factor. That implies an on-screen multitouch-enabled keyboard.

The Palm name is going away next year. Handsets developed after the Pre 2 will carry the HP brand, not Palm.

I hope this doesn't sound completely baseless, but I've lurked and searched on this forum since the release of the Pre. I'd hate to add senseless content to my already-low post count here.
    Sounds good to me. I am looking forward to seeing how HP plan to create intergration b/w their devices, the cloud, etc after the buying spree in 2010!
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    I assume that by "the end of the year" you mean the year 2011...
    I hate to join in on the baseless rumor poo-flinging on the wall (to see what sticks) but I was surprised to meet a regional HP/Palm trainer at a party last weekend. He didn't give me any secret "bet the house on it" kind of info, but I did get to spend some time playing around with his already-activated Verizon Pre 2, complete with WebOS 2.0 and native Flash-enabled browser.

Some observations and info I gained after talking to him:

WebOS 2.0 is pretty close. I should expect to run it on my OG Sprint Palm Pre without issue. It's also very snappy on his Pre 2.

The Pre 2 feels a lot like my original Pre. I'm not confident the slider mechanism will prevent any future Oreo-action after 200 uses. Overall, it looks slightly thicker.

The Palm name is going away next year. Handsets developed after the Pre 2 will carry the HP brand, not Palm.

I hope this doesn't sound completely baseless, but I've lurked and searched on this forum since the release of the Pre. I'd hate to add senseless content to my already-low post count here.
    Most of what you said many have believed, and it feels good that we have some confirmation of it. I long expect the Palm brand to be gone, and I think it's sad the Pre 2 is the last Palm device. It doesn't do it justice. I hope your right about the HP HD2 phone for Sprint. Thats the next phone I will buy if your right! (assuming they don't release another phone thats better).

Quote Originally Posted by Analog View Post
    I was confused about that too. I think he meant next year.
    well understanding fazing out the palm name (even HP's branding for 2010 is ranked 10th in the world even ahead of apple which is ranked 17th). If manufactured with the right hardware, they can revive webos and a sense Palm(since palm is apart of hp now). Also yeah not alot of clarity of this so called sprint device, I too assume he meant next year since theres only 3 weeks left in this month.
    Dear Sprint Reps,

Stop lying to everyone.

sincerely Payne
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    Dear Sprint Reps,

Stop lying to everyone.

sincerely Payne
    To be fair, Imperator's rumor is sourced from an anonymous HP/Palm rep. The thing is, anyone can make up (Not saying Imperator is lying. I take him at his word) whatever rumor they want, and they won't be THAT far off. Devices are coming next year. Surely one or more will have a bigger screen. There will be a tablet. The Palm brand is already being minimized (e.g. "HP WebOS").

There's really no solid information to be gleaned until HP wakes up and decides to compete. Hopefully, they will realize that competing in this present day market means managing the flow of information and building buzz for your products long before they are available for sale. Jon Rubinstein is the very definition of a buzzkill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog View Post
    read back...says "later in the year"...

"end of the year" is too late. there's pretty much no hope for HP/webOS competing in the mobile handset market if they're waiting an entire year for a high-end phone. 12 months is like two or three generations in handset technology.

i'm pretty sure when my renewal time comes around in March, if they're talking about October or November...i will likely just buy into android unless i see some REALLY good reason to hold out. radio silence on hardware specs and vague hints like "in the coming months" is NOT going to keep me loyal.
    Last edited by j_grouchy; 12/15/2010 at 11:00 AM.
    any new webos devices for sprint will not hit shelves until at least june 2011 if not later, much later IMO.
    I don't need a device to come out tomorrow, but to know if and when would certainly make it a lot easier.....

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I don't need a device to come out tomorrow, but to know if and when would certainly make it a lot easier.....
    id say the soonest would be june 2011. my evo can tide me over until then.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    OP has cred's (778 posts) . I believe. I believe. I want to believe
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    [QUOTE=ilovedessert;2796184]

QUOTE]

Hi all,

Thanks for the info, sounds good to me,
    take care,
    Jay
    a new sprint webos device MUST have the same screen resolution as the evo. i once thought the evo was big but after owning it for a month i cannot imagine owning a smaller phone. perfect size IMO.
    Agreed.

Sent using taptalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    id say the soonest would be june 2011. my evo can tide me over until then.
    My June 09 Pre can tide me over untill then too
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    My June 09 Pre can tide me over untill then too
    i give you credit man. im not one to stand still as technology passes me by. plus im addicted to trying out new phones. heck i may even try wp7 once it's cracked and custom UI's come out.

ill put it to you this way, i just built my custom pc 2 years ago and it's been outdated for over a year now. to say the least come tax time im building another one with updated specs. get my point? i love the pre but it's considered a legacy phone now, that stuff bothers me. ill be back to palm/webos when i see a current higher end phone come. question is will it come at all?
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    i give you credit man. im not one to stand still as technology passes me by. plus im addicted to trying out new phones. heck i may even try wp7 once it's cracked and custom UI's come out.

ill put it to you this way, i just built my custom pc 2 years ago and it's been outdated for over a year now. to say the least come tax time im building another one with updated specs. get my point? i love the pre but it's considered a legacy phone now, that stuff bothers me. ill be back to palm/webos when i see a current higher end phone come. question is will it come at all?
    I just posted this on another thread a minute ago.,......

Hi all,

I DON'T AGREE WITH YOU AT ALL! The company was just taken over a few months ago. They now have tons of money to develop products they (or we), could hardly dream of producing a few months ago.....products don't jump off the drawing board and into your hands this second, just b/c you want them to....trust me you can wait a few more weeks to find out...I am still using a Centro for G_d's sake....(my contract had me tied up with V with a centro until mid Oct 2010)..if I could wait so could you!

I think the same people who keep saying they can't wait, will be the same ones saying Palm should have taken longer than they did if there is a production or design flaw......

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post

I DON'T AGREE WITH YOU AT ALL!
    that's the great thing about having an opinion.
    Today's announcement from FoxNews would seem to validate what the OP heard:

He said that an HP rep had went to the store and let all the employees know that next year (after January) HP will be offering 2-3 new phones and a tablet ON SPRINT.
    Would some of you prefer your crow regular, or extra-spicey?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234