Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    my sprint rep told me palm was going to release a palm tablet and other new devices next year.
    But did he say that the tablet would be called the PalmPad????? A rep at my local Best Buy store told me that it would be called the PalmPad and that we should expect HPalm to make an announce about sometime in 2011. He also said that there will multiple form factors, an array of interconnected devices and plenty of scale that HP can put to use.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I want the PalmPad for sure... Lets hope 2011 Q1 is very exciting!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I wonder how many rumors would fly if I walked into a Sprint store and told a rep that I was from HP and had all the specs on the next 7.4 inch screen phone with a 12 mp camera, and three others on the back to shoot in 3d... I could almost bet it would make it back to this forum.
    I don't know..i use to be a vendor for Sprint and heard valid bits of info like that all the time. They even bring up hints in the meetings sometime, no NDA present or anything. Sometimes they were Real and sometimes just speculation. But you never know, I'm just praying some official info leaks soon, it sucks to be on Sprint right now
    The forum software should just automatically search for the phrase "Sprint rep" and replace the entire post that contains it with the phrase "Uninformed speculation."

Edit:
    I found my old post about "Techs" and "Reps" -- this still sums up how I feel:
    Every person in this thread seems to say that they are friends with a "tech" or a "rep", but most of them are lying.

My dear personal associate (he is like a brother to me) is a rep for several reps (at several reputable companies) and he told me that they are repping the release right now. Rep-are yourselves guys. I believe him. In fact, he is willing to put his rep as a rep on the line.

My other friend is what people in the business call a Tech Rep (or a Rep Tech -- the terminology is different between Verizon and Sprint). As I'm sure you guys can imagine Tech Reps are the real deal! They know everything that Reps do, plus everything that Techs do. Anyway, I am in a bowling league with some Rep Techs (we call ourselves the Bad Techreptations) and after my friend bowled a 300 last night (his second of the year!) he swore me to secrecy and told me that the update is going to put a front-facing hardware camera on the Pre and Pixi and enable videoconferencing! Can anyone say best OTA ever?

Don't spread that around too much though. He could lose his position as a Tech Rep!

You heard it here first guys. In this thread, this sea of misdirected aggression and outright falsehoods, this is the one truth that you can rely on.
    Last edited by Tiddlekins; 12/07/2010 at 11:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I'll tell you the rest of the joke after January.
    Queue up the Jeopardy "Think" music <grin>
    What does not kill me, makes me stronger. - Friedrich Nietzsche
    That which does not kill me, has made a grave tactical error. - Jerry Pournelle
    Somebody should do a joke where they say they heard the same info from somebody as well, only their source is several times removed from the original. Here is the kicker, the sources will all be uncles, stylists, mechanics or anyone else who wouldn't actually know about phones being released.

Man that would be a great joke.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I thought Sprint and Palm had a fallen out sometime back, no? Ruby will speak at Diving into Mobile today. I bet there wont be any breakthrough announcements, but every time Ruby speaks, I listen, and garners some hope.

Personally, I have been using both a fruit phone 4 (2 months for work) and 18 month old pre minus, aside from the impressive screen resolution and some innovative apps for the fruit phone, I see my pre as much better GUI/experience. My Pre lags and lags even with overclocking, but whatever, it's an 18 month old device, the Pre2 showed it can do better, but not incrementally better.

As far as CES. Why show off 2-3 devices? I think HPalm should show off some impressive specs on the PalmPad (PP), get some much needed developer support with some impressive native apps, support for their smartphone will sure to follow. Because every app created for the PP can be scaled. I much rather wait for a more complete solution than anything rushed, and people complaining about build quality, app services, bugs, etc...

Be patient, give HPalm a year, dive in a robot or fruit phone if you like, the WebOS community will still be here with open arms.
    ruby is a joke..
    Quote Originally Posted by pyoro1 View Post
    I want the PalmPad for sure... Lets hope 2011 Q1 is very exciting!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    I'd like a PalmPad too but I'm sick and tired of being nickeled and dimed by carriers who won't update their devices. I want a Wi-Fi only tablet.
    My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Wow!

How is this news? HP is the largest tech company in the world and they are now making Phones, Of course there will be Phones and tablets coming to Sprint AFTER JANUARY!
    Thats like saying Im going to eat 5-6 steaks next year after january.

Was your sprint rep a closet superhero? CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!
    HI all.

As I was just starting to read this thread, I thought the same thing....Sprint cannot afford to upset HP...HP must makes equipment at all levels in the computing business from servers, supercomputers to netbooks and not webOS phones.....HP's market share and marketing prowess I am sure could be used to make S very uncofortable...or at least I hope they can make S uncomfortable...

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    HI all.

As I was just starting to read this thread, I thought the same thing....Sprint cannot afford to upset HP...HP must makes equipment at all levels in the computing business from servers, supercomputers to netbooks and not webOS phones.....HP's market share and marketing prowess I am sure could be used to make S very uncofortable...or at least I hope they can make S uncomfortable...

Take care,

Jay
    Good point Jay. I once bought a Sony computer with a built in Wireless card (not Wifi, built in mobile wireless, I think it was with Verizon, though I wouldn't swear to it).

I wonder how many Sony Vaio purchaser signed contracts with the carrier because of that particular built in feature? It was right there in a nice little link on the laptop. Free 30-day trial and everything.

HP sells and ships a lot of laptops.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeguychicago View Post
    My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
    I love the reference here. Curious how many people got it. Also I went on a slight venture off the the fruit phone and robot, but desperately want to get back to palm, but I'm on tmo now, and feel stuck. Don't want to, but will most likely venture over to vzw
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeguychicago View Post
    Win. *cough* *cough*
    NEVER believe anything sprint tells you, especially about upcoming phones. engadget and phonedog, xda is the place to see breaking news.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    my sprint rep told me palm was going to release a palm tablet and other new devices next year.

but then so did the CTO of HP so I kinda believe him

now my sprint rep didn't say anyting about them carrying said devices, but he did have a twinkle in his eye.
    Did you ask if you were on his naughty or nice list? And can he defy the laws of physics?
    Who's flying this thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    Win. *cough* *cough*
    http://www.buckleys.com/images/home_buckley_ad.gif
    can i help you with that cough !!?!?!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I hate to join in on the baseless rumor poo-flinging on the wall (to see what sticks) but I was surprised to meet a regional HP/Palm trainer at a party last weekend. He didn't give me any secret "bet the house on it" kind of info, but I did get to spend some time playing around with his already-activated Verizon Pre 2, complete with WebOS 2.0 and native Flash-enabled browser.

Some observations and info I gained after talking to him:

WebOS 2.0 is pretty close. I should expect to run it on my OG Sprint Palm Pre without issue. It's also very snappy on his Pre 2.

The Pre 2 feels a lot like my original Pre. I'm not confident the slider mechanism will prevent any future Oreo-action after 200 uses. Overall, it looks slightly thicker.

Sprint is not at all out of the running, but they won't carry the Pre 2. I'm told Sprint will get a high-end handset later in the year that looks similar to HTC's HD2 in form factor. That implies an on-screen multitouch-enabled keyboard.

The Palm name is going away next year. Handsets developed after the Pre 2 will carry the HP brand, not Palm.

I hope this doesn't sound completely baseless, but I've lurked and searched on this forum since the release of the Pre. I'd hate to add senseless content to my already-low post count here.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast