Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    OK, we all know the Ipad is a huge hit and the wave of tablets is beginning. Well, I was talking with my brother the other day who an Apple devotee, he owns an Ipad and an Iphone4. My sister and I were commenting on how useless the Ipad is because it's really just a giant Ipod touch. I pointed out how the Samsung tablet is much better than the Ipad because it can make phone calls and take pictures. My brother quickly pointed out how silly it would be taking pictures with a giant tablet or making a phone call on it. I agreed with him. So, this brings up a question: just exactly what is a tablet good for aside from being a giant version of a smartphone? Well, as far as I can tell, nothing. They do everything a smartphone can do (in some instances less, i.e. the Ipad), but they have bigger screens.
    Well, I think I have know what a tablet should be. It should be more like a companion or partner to a smartphone. I think these companies should make a tablet and link them to a particular phone or phones. So you can take a picture with your phone and instantly sync it to your tablet or if your tablet rings, you can answer your phone instead of talking into a giant tablet. So, let's say Palm comes out with an a PalmPad. They can link it to the Palm Pre 2 or any Palm phone. And when you sync them, all of your info from your phone: contacts, pictures, music, etc are all available on your tablet or you can select what you want to sync. And your phone number is also synced to it, so you can receive phone calls or texts on your phone or your tablet. And it would be awesome if there were a mode where you could type on your phone and the words appear on the tablet. You know, those tablets arent very easy to type on and the Pre has actual buttons. They should be linked in such a way that if you were to lose your phone, you could just pull off of the info off of it onto your tablet. When Palm came out with the Pre, one of their biggest features was Synergy. Synergy could be taken to a whole new level by "synergizing" the PalmPad with Palm phones.
    I think if we're going to have these tablets, these weird products that are halfway between laptop and smartphone, they should be better incorporated into our daily routine. What better way to do that than by linking or syncing info between your phone and tablet? Any opinions on this idea?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by macbranson View Post
    OK, we all know the Ipad is a huge hit and the wave of tablets is beginning. Well, I was talking with my brother the other day who an Apple devotee, he owns an Ipad and an Iphone4. My sister and I were commenting on how useless the Ipad is because it's really just a giant Ipod touch. I pointed out how the Samsung tablet is much better than the Ipad because it can make phone calls and take pictures. My brother quickly pointed out how silly it would be taking pictures with a giant tablet or making a phone call on it. I agreed with him. So, this brings up a question: just exactly what is a tablet good for aside from being a giant version of a smartphone? Well, as far as I can tell, nothing. They do everything a smartphone can do (in some instances less, i.e. the Ipad), but they have bigger screens.
    Well, I think I have know what a tablet should be. It should be more like a companion or partner to a smartphone. I think these companies should make a tablet and link them to a particular phone or phones. So you can take a picture with your phone and instantly sync it to your tablet or if your tablet rings, you can answer your phone instead of talking into a giant tablet. So, let's say Palm comes out with an a PalmPad. They can link it to the Palm Pre 2 or any Palm phone. And when you sync them, all of your info from your phone: contacts, pictures, music, etc are all available on your tablet or you can select what you want to sync. And your phone number is also synced to it, so you can receive phone calls or texts on your phone or your tablet. And it would be awesome if there were a mode where you could type on your phone and the words appear on the tablet. You know, those tablets arent very easy to type on and the Pre has actual buttons. They should be linked in such a way that if you were to lose your phone, you could just pull off of the info off of it onto your tablet. When Palm came out with the Pre, one of their biggest features was Synergy. Synergy could be taken to a whole new level by "synergizing" the PalmPad with Palm phones.
    I think if we're going to have these tablets, these weird products that are halfway between laptop and smartphone, they should be better incorporated into our daily routine. What better way to do that than by linking or syncing info between your phone and tablet? Any opinions on this idea?
    It should go over and beyond that, because the BlackBerry Playbook is all ready bringing that -- and then some. A Tablet should be the next step to a mobile computer, a replacement to a laptop. It should be able to do everything a computer can do -- which, of course, some features will over lap with a smartphone because a smartphone is a computer in the palm of your hands. Thats what it STARTED out being, back when Palm made PDA's and then decided to put a phone in their PDA (aka, the Treo).

    The real question is, what killer feature -- or application -- can HP/Palm put into the PalmPad that you can only do with the PalmPad? Thats what they should be focusing on. I currently don't know.
  3. #3  
    I honestly think my smartphone is more like a computer to me. The Tablet should be a mobile interface or a light weight mirror image of your PALM Profile (or if possible my home computer). I should be able to edit documents, type new ones, email, use applications, and even search the web. However, the key in my craving is using Synergy to retain all the information while not having to manually save it locally or on a network. I would probably use the table the same way as my phone but just hoping is faster and larger screen to view more options. I would say this...

    Palm Pre: For when I'm mobile, out and about, and in transit to a location

    Palm Pad: When I'm watching TV, at work in a meeting (maybe even taking notes), in the airplane or reading documents

    Computer: When I'm using programs not available on WebOS. When I have a need to type something very long. Other than that, I need to multi task without being held down at one location.

    Now I know the last sound similar to a Win7 tablet but it doesn't have the synergy that I'm looking for....
  4. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #4  
    I agree w/what others have said, but I have no problem w/a camera or phone. Especially a forward facing camera for videoconferencing like Skype, etc. I also wouldn't mind phone ability as I wouldn't stick it up to my ear, but if you could use a headset or bluetooth, etc., I can see some reasons for it.

    Personally, I want it to replace my laptop & the iPad isn't there yet.
  5. #5  
    I would never get an ipad, as its no way near a replacement for a laptop.. It is too mobile centric, I can not do a lot of stuff that my laptop or netbook could do.

    I would say however maybe HP (since they have a lot of computers) maybe make their own sort of sync software for their palm products, itunes-esque but more
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    I would never get an ipad, as its no way near a replacement for a laptop.. It is too mobile centric, I can not do a lot of stuff that my laptop or netbook could do.

    I would say however maybe HP (since they have a lot of computers) maybe make their own sort of sync software for their palm products, itunes-esque but more
    You know that you can pick up Slate. You could be number 9001. Go for it.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    You know that you can pick up Slate. You could be number 9001. Go for it.
    eh, tbh id rather get that acer dual screen laptop
  8. #8  
    Palm did invent this concept with the Folio. They had no working OS for it or the phone.
    A tablet could be a fine phone with a bluetooth speaker phone like I have in my car. Or an earbud that the doofus's all wear. A 7 inch tablet/padlet called "Palm Pilot" would fit nicely in a car with bluetooth phone capability. In a ford sync (from Microsoft) the speaker/mic are there ready for you.

    Will Blackberry have to license the linked padlet concept from Palm?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    eh, tbh id rather get that acer dual screen laptop
    Bro, you're not picking up what I'm putting down. GO GET IT! The tablet you describe is already available from a variety of venders. GO NUTS!

    I contend you don't really want what you say you want, because you don't already have it. The only thing you said that rings true is that you will never buy an iPad. Fine, but don't pretend that it is because the iPad doesn't have the right functionality. If it was about functionality, you would have something else by now. You just want HP to hurry up and KIRF up an iPad with a Palm logo on it. That mostly sums up all the me-too pads on the market. Good luck with that.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Bro, you're not picking up what I'm putting down. GO GET IT! The tablet you describe is already available from a variety of venders. GO NUTS!

    I contend you don't really want what you say you want, because you don't already have it. The only thing you said that rings true is that you will never buy an iPad. Fine, but don't pretend that it is because the iPad doesn't have the right functionality. If it was about functionality, you would have something else by now. You just want HP to hurry up and KIRF up an iPad with a Palm logo on it. That mostly sums up all the me-too pads on the market. Good luck with that.
    Honestly, how different can a touch screen tablet get aesthetically? Maybe make it a different color, perhaps change the placement of the volume buttons?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Bro, you're not picking up what I'm putting down. GO GET IT! The tablet you describe is already available from a variety of venders. GO NUTS!

    I contend you don't really want what you say you want, because you don't already have it. The only thing you said that rings true is that you will never buy an iPad. Fine, but don't pretend that it is because the iPad doesn't have the right functionality. If it was about functionality, you would have something else by now. You just want HP to hurry up and KIRF up an iPad with a Palm logo on it. That mostly sums up all the me-too pads on the market. Good luck with that.
    urm, What I said was a suggestion for what would be a good feature for the palmpad.

    And yes the reason I havnt bought an ipad is because of its lack of functionality, its why I have a laptop. Honestly if the palmpad is just webos on a bigger screen then Im sure it will be good, but I wont get it.

    My wanting of palm to be successful does not mean I will buy any device they put out
  12.    #12  
    I'm amazed at Palm's ability to come up with these great concepts and then execute them so poorly. The Foleo, the Palm Pre and even the Palm Pilot are concepts that should have kept Palm on top of the mobile device pile, but instead they just kept sinking lower and lower until HP had to rescue them. A lot of the ideas I mentioned in my original post are incorporated into RIM's Blackberry Playbook. When this Playbook comes out, it is going to be awesome and the business world will gobble it up. It will probably outsell the Ipad. I hope Palm will come out with something comparable and have some sort of new innovative feature to push them ahead of the pack. I can't really think of what that new feature would be since all of my ideas that I thought were new, actually aren't.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by macbranson View Post
    I'm amazed at Palm's ability to come up with these great concepts and then execute them so poorly. The Foleo, the Palm Pre and even the Palm Pilot are concepts that should have kept Palm on top of the mobile device pile, but instead they just kept sinking lower and lower until HP had to rescue them. A lot of the ideas I mentioned in my original post are incorporated into RIM's Blackberry Playbook. When this Playbook comes out, it is going to be awesome and the business world will gobble it up. It will probably outsell the Ipad. I hope Palm will come out with something comparable and have some sort of new innovative feature to push them ahead of the pack. I can't really think of what that new feature would be since all of my ideas that I thought were new, actually aren't.

    Might be more down to the marketing, and the relations with the carriers.... the devices themselves were great, but the main problem was that they didnt sell that great - therefore, no money.
    Australian Apple fan
    Wannabe webOS developer, Multimedia designer & UI designer

    I have some app ideas, but really need to get a better handle of how this jscript stuff works!
  14. #14  
    Fast, smooth OS and big name apps on *powerful* hardware

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta

Posting Permissions