1.    #1  
    Verizon made an announcement today that although 4G will launch on Dec. 5, 2010, no 4G phones will be available until mid-2011. Does this mean no webOS superphones until June 2011? Speculate here!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/01/2010 at 03:09 PM. Reason: clarified title
    You can have a superphone on Sprint's 4G network...you can make a Verizon superphone LTE-ready...who knows...
    yeah I would change the title to Verizon though for now just because sprint and kind of Tmobile is 4G mobile device ready.
    I think having a webOS based phone on 4G will be a colossal mistake. With an additional radio the new device will be the laughing stock of the industry. HPalm needs to increase battery efficiency on the current device before adding yet another one to the mix ( I believe they are already planning to include NFC sensor).

I have no problems with having an additional battery or having touchstone chargers in most places however masses do NOT understand the correlation between usage and power. A device that is doing more work will need more power. Most of them think a process that is suspended when you click on another is still multitasking.

Palm needs to have push notifications first as a way to save on battery life. Having no 4G will also enable the device to be more accessible to a greater number of people. How many people want to have the privilege of paying for 4G when they have no 4G coverage or when using 4G means you battery is dead in 4 hours seemingly without doing anything.
    I would assume that Verizon is the limiting factor there, not any phone manufacturer(s). Could be their network won't be ready for smartphones until "mid-2011" or they want a "beta" type period before 4G smartphones are introduced to the network.

No reason to assume anything for Palm from this news.
    same as they did with 3g, they will start with aircards (mifi) before they launch phones.
    What? No 4G coverage until 2013?!?!

Seriously doesn't matter if they put out a 4G device by mid-2011. Most of the country probably still won't have 4G coverage for a few years.
    Very misleading thread title.
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    I think having a webOS based phone on 4G will be a colossal mistake. With an additional radio the new device will be the laughing stock of the industry. HPalm needs to increase battery efficiency on the current device before adding yet another one to the mix ( I believe they are already planning to include NFC sensor).

I have no problems with having an additional battery or having touchstone chargers in most places however masses do NOT understand the correlation between usage and power. A device that is doing more work will need more power. Most of them think a process that is suspended when you click on another is still multitasking.

Palm needs to have push notifications first as a way to save on battery life. Having no 4G will also enable the device to be more accessible to a greater number of people. How many people want to have the privilege of paying for 4G when they have no 4G coverage or when using 4G means you battery is dead in 4 hours seemingly without doing anything.
    of course Im pretty sure HP is def working on battery efficenty. Though I've had a evo for 4 months and on 3G the battery life was worse on it then my sprint pre OC. Of course all companys will have to figure out a way to increase battery life on phones, because right now even looking at most major phones the battery life is very bad across the board. A 4G phone on say sprint (which is big right now for them) would help add a couple more sales to the equation, since every phone that is coming out on the high end level is 4G. It would be a mistake not to release a high end webos device, and not have it running on 4G IMO. With the money and resources Palm now has internally, I don't think producing a high end device with a more then great battery life will be a problem anymore. As well as by next year Im sure even Webos will be even more optimized.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post

I have to disagree completely. Its not that serious. If we're talking about smartphone people they want cutting edge. If we talking about new owners that want whats new.

Battery life isn't that bad considering the pres have one of if not the smallest battery of current smartphones. With that said we can only hope they will beef up the battery for future devices.

Adding additional radio isn't a big deal its not automatically on just like wifi people know how to cut that off and on. Plus from my experinces 4g atleast wimax doesn't drain the battery all that bad.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    <<title clarified>>
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    What? No 4G coverage until 2013?!?!

Seriously doesn't matter if they put out a 4G device by mid-2011. Most of the country probably still won't have 4G coverage for a few years.
    Nobody's going to take 4G seriously until 2012 anyway.
    If something takes 15 second to download on 3g, and 5 seconds on 4g for the same download, is the 4g not better on battery?I have 4 g and it seems better on battery. But what the hell do I know,,lol.

Sent using taptalk.
    When I first turned on my 4g,I could not believe my eyes, what a difference.

Sent using taptalk.