Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Next year is going to be a great year for webOS.
    This is good news for webOS, but by "focusing on devices", does that mean hardware or software for webOS devices?
    HP dropping Windows Home Server to focus on WebOS, won't be hitting the slopes at Vail -- Engadget

30 second read basically stating as the title states, that HP is pulling sources from current projects to see along the progress of webos devices, and it makes me excited for the coming months to see what is released... just figured i would share the find with u guys
    Quote Originally Posted by gmleonar View Post
    HP dropping Windows Home Server to focus on WebOS, won't be hitting the slopes at Vail -- Engadget

30 second read basically stating as the title states, that HP is pulling sources from current projects to see along the progress of webos devices, and it makes me excited for the coming months to see what is released... just figured i would share the find with u guys
    Makes me wonder even if anything is even announced at MWC or CES whether it'll really be ready for the market before May-June.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Makes me wonder even if anything is even announced at MWC or CES whether it'll really be ready for the market before May-June.

either way, this is a glass half full situation
    Quote Originally Posted by gmleonar View Post
    either way, this is a glass half full situation
    Depends on what's on the market whenever they get around to relaunching for real.
    Depends on what's on the market whenever they get around to relaunching for real.
    Even with specific news of their commitment to webOS, many of you still seem to ALWAYS relish in the glass half or all the way empty side of things.

This community is so small until its funny compared to the MILLIONS who will be introduced to HP webOS under HP's terms, not ours.

If you cant wait until HP is ready, then MOVE along and please stop making this site hard to visit b/c of all the doom and gloom to the world has ended posts about webOS.

If HP plan works, great, if not, then they will decide the next step. lets just try to see what 2011 brings. I commend them for letting us know devices are coming in 2011, and I have made the choice to wait, rather than come here EVERYDAY to blast them. My current 1ghz phone (Sprint Pre) works great, although I know it can and will be better with the choices I think are coming.

Again, lets be patient or just leave.
  8.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I was going to post that but you beat me to it.

Probably should merge the threads ya?
    Sprint Love
    The best part of this news that nobody has addressed is the HP WHS is one of the most elegant products produced from that group and that kind of talent will be a huge plus to WebOS devices.

And for that I'm excited.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    Even with specific news of their commitment to webOS, many of you still seem to ALWAYS relish in the glass half or all the way empty side of things.

This community is so small until its funny compared to the MILLIONS who will be introduced to HP webOS under HP's terms, not ours.

If you cant wait until HP is ready, then MOVE along and please stop making this site hard to visit b/c of all the doom and gloom to the world has ended posts about webOS.

If HP plan works, great, if not, then they will decide the next step. lets just try to see what 2011 brings. I commend them for letting us know devices are coming in 2011, and I have made the choice to wait, rather than come here EVERYDAY to blast them. My current 1ghz phone (Sprint Pre) works great, although I know it can and will be better with the choices I think are coming.

Again, lets be patient or just leave.
    Defensive much? I simply said that their future success is directly tied to what's on the market at the time and how they are positioned against it. That is neither positive nor negative, and is true for pretty much everyone. Save the impassioned screed for a thread that needs it.
    Why? It doesn't necessarily follow that addition of new resources now says anything about products currently in the pipeline.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I don't know much about this stuff, but is it safe to assume that most of those individuals coming from Windows Home Server will be hardware people?
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Why? It doesn't necessarily follow that addition of new resources now says anything about products currently in the pipeline.
    If hardware development teams are being "refocused" on WebOS hardware, the hardware is likely not in as final a state as it needs to be to ensure a widespread launch with carriers 60-90 days from now to coincide with supposed announcements at CES and/or MWC.

Even with HP's resources, it's not like they can snap their fingers and go. You see how long it's taking Dell (and they have comparatively little software development to do with their WP7 and Android handsets) to get their highest end smartphones - leaked in April - to market? HP isn't exactly breaking the speed barrier with launching the Palm Pre 2, either.

Again, this is not a knock on the company, per se. They're likely moving as fast as a behemoth of their stature can. I'm just getting the idea that truly next-gen WebOS hardware is a ways off.
    <<threads mergeeeleyed>>
    HP's decision to discontinue its MediaSmart Server line of products featuring Windows Home Server is actually more of a move by HP to abandon home based cloud computing and embrace web based cloud computing.

Windows Home Server-based MediaSmart systems, while successful, did not fit well with HP's vision of "becoming the foremost Service Providers’ Service Provider, delivering a set of cloud capabilities that enable service providers to take full advantage of the power of the cloud".

WebOS has already proven it's capability as a web based cloud friendly operating system and is a viable option to replace the HP MediaSmart software that is the core of the HP Touchscreen and Home Server-based cloud technology.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Add to that that this group could be making the infamous webOS Toaster ovens and have nothing to do with new phone hardware. "Devices" could be anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Here's a leaked pic of new webOS smartphone hardware for 2011. This is 5 inches by 3 inches by 3 inches.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:S...025-13.jpg&t=1
    Well, I guess that solves the big screen vs small screen argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Here's a leaked pic of new webOS smartphone hardware for 2011. This is 5 inches by 3 inches by 3 inches.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:S...025-13.jpg&t=1
    It also uses the new "magical" mem-resistors for storage to get 1TB of storage!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast