Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    IMO I think this is a great move for HP, and Webos being utilized. I also believe that smartphone products will be ready by the end of Q1 2011 the latest. My assumption is hardware has already completed most testing stages for months, giving hints like certain HP exects giving note that when the masses see the new devices they will be in aww. Just an assumption, and hope with this team it helps speed up production.
    Good sign of things to come for WebOS.
    This is a good sign for Hp webOS. Hopefully its not too late
    Shortly after the Pre was announced, I wrote about the possibilites of a "home based cloud" - maybe we'll see something along those lines. Personal storage/server systems that sync with multiple devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    It also uses the new "magical" mem-resistors for storage to get 1TB of storage!
    Finally, a phone that will hold all my music.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    The best part of this news that nobody has addressed is the HP WHS is one of the most elegant products produced from that group and that kind of talent will be a huge plus to WebOS devices.

And for that I'm excited.
    I have one of those. After MS fixed the OS it became my favorite, most reliable, and sleekly-designed tech product in my office. Glad to have that talent now working on the phone platform I like so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    It also uses the new "magical" mem-resistors for storage to get 1TB of storage!
    And you can roll / fold your phone in your pocket since it uses a folding display. Cases and gorilla glass display is SSOOOO 2010.....
    This is just another move to illustrate that HP is all in with WebOS and Palm. Clearly, they care that both are successful as it part of their strategy to provide an all encompassing set of solutions for business and consumers.

As far as timing is concerned, I would assume that things are on schedule and adding this talent is more of an opportunity (caused by MS's announcement of dropping DE and the subsequent backlash; i.e. people who would have upgraded saying they now won't) to add more Engineers to Palm to make sure there are no hiccups and that the current 1 year roadmap doesn't fail. They are putting the resources into Palm to make sure they can create demand for WebOS devices and drive their overall strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    HP's decision to discontinue its MediaSmart Server line of products featuring Windows Home Server is actually more of a move by HP to abandon home based cloud computing and embrace web based cloud computing.

Windows Home Server-based MediaSmart systems, while successful, did not fit well with HP's vision of "becoming the foremost Service Providers’ Service Provider, delivering a set of cloud capabilities that enable service providers to take full advantage of the power of the cloud".

WebOS has already proven it's capability as a web based cloud friendly operating system and is a viable option to replace the HP MediaSmart software that is the core of the HP Touchscreen and Home Server-based cloud technology.
    Got any links to for the above?
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12/01/2010 at 08:53 PM.
    Originally Posted by not-yet-pre
    HP's decision to discontinue its MediaSmart Server line of products featuring Windows Home Server is actually more of a move by HP to abandon home based cloud computing and embrace web based cloud computing.

Windows Home Server-based MediaSmart systems, while successful, did not fit well with HP's vision of "becoming the foremost Service Providersí Service Provider, delivering a set of cloud capabilities that enable service providers to take full advantage of the power of the cloud".

WebOS has already proven it's capability as a web based cloud friendly operating system and is a viable option to replace the HP MediaSmart software that is the core of the HP Touchscreen and Home Server-based cloud technology.

Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Got any links to for the above?

Cloud computing and services | HP Labs research
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    Thanks for the links. I must be missing something. I don't see a correlation between your statements and HP research in progress. In fact, they do not even mention webos.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12