Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    That post was mostly meant for those who kept saying hp was giving up on their phone development, and it's all going down the tubes. I understand it's probably gonna take a while, and that in all reality we may not hear about any new devices for a while, maybe even nothing new even news wise until Q2 of the year, but there is no doubt there are gonna be something new one of these days. I just wish I had the same patience you guys seem to have. I regret every day switching over to my nexus one, and giving up my palm.
    GO BRONCOS!!!!

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Just got a developer newsletter from Palm that lists upcoming events. They list MWC, but not CES! That doesn't sound promising for Palm announcements to me .
    Quote Originally Posted by McRoth View Post
    Just got a developer newsletter from Palm that lists upcoming events. They list MWC, but not CES! That doesn't sound promising for Palm announcements to me .
    what is MWC? when does it take place? I agree this doesn't sound good.
    mobile world congress.
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    I really don't much faith or expect anything from Palm at CES anymore.

After the Rubenstein interview yesterday, it's pretty obvious he has no sense of urgency. Does he really think people will just wait forever? It's been 1 and 1/2 years since a major hardware announcement, not just something iterative. He also said that smartphones only make up 20% of the market, so there is room for growth. Of course the other 80% will want to get iPhones or Android phones because no one knows what webOS even is.
    fantastic post my man. i agree 100%. if they keep waiting most will have moved to android. and im telling you now that gingerbread has hit and the market is growing everyday it doesn't look good for palm at all right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    mobile world congress.
    when does this take place? edit: never mind i looked it up, mid febuary.
    The Mobile World Congress is Feb 14th-17th. Palm's webOS App Developer Conference is on the 15th during the former. What are the odds they STILL don't show anything then?
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeguychicago View Post
    The Mobile World Congress is Feb 14th-17th. Palm's webOS App Developer Conference is on the 15th during the former. What are the odds they STILL don't show anything then?
    at this point it's anybodies guess. id say if we get nothing new at ces or mwc then palm may RIP. if they do not plan to utilize webos in phones id love to see the os become open source so devs can port it to other "current" devices without fear of being sued and what not.

my evo + webos = pure win!
    i say mobile world congress is more about the software than hardware... i think c.e.s is where the new hardware would be displayed..(my opinion)
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    fantastic post my man. i agree 100%. if they keep waiting most will have moved to android. and im telling you now that gingerbread has hit and the market is growing everyday it doesn't look good for palm at all right now.

Hi all,

I DON'T AGREE WITH YOU AT ALL! The company was just taken over a few months ago. They now have tons of money to develop products they (or we), could hardly dream of producing a few months ago.....products don't jump off the drawing board and into your hands this second, just b/c you want them to....trust me you can wait a few more weeks to find out...I am still using a Centro for G_d's sake....(my contract had me tied up with V with a centro until mid Oct 2010)..if I could wait so could you!

I think the same people who keep saying they can't wait, will be the same ones saying Palm should have taken longer than they did if there is a production or design flaw......

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

I DON'T AGREE WITH YOU AT ALL! The company was just taken over a few months ago. They now have tons of money to develop products they (or we), could hardly dream of producing a few months ago.....products don't jump off the drawing board and into your hands this second, just b/c you want them to....trust me you can wait a few more weeks to find out...I am still using a Centro for G_d's sake....(my contract had me tied up with V with a centro until mid Oct 2010)..if I could wait so could you!

I think the same people who keep saying they can't wait, will be the same ones saying Palm should have taken longer than they did if there is a production or design flaw......

Take care, Jay
    I agree that they need to take there time and that they were just taken over, however if Palm does not want to get forgotten they need to remain in the media -- and they can do that @ CES 2011. If they only show one phone and a tablet, that be enough. And remember guys ... if I understand, CES if a consumer show while MWC is a developer confrence ... developers don't care too much about hardware. OK, well, they do, but mostly @ these things software tools are announced and maybe showing new hardware. So we might see some cool things at both of these things -- but CES better show some hardware!
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    MWC is a great place to put Enyo out there (enyo face).

CES is a great place to get some face time... er good press with consumers.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    MWC is where they will showcase their new app framework and dev tools. So far CES has been very hush hush, hopefully there is a reason for it. We shall see! WebOS 2.X should be out around CES hopefully.
    I am still using a Centro for G_d's sake....(my contract had me tied up with V with a centro until mid Oct 2010)..if I could wait so could you!
    Using a Centro in 2010 is astounding to me and, honestly, it's commendable that you're able to hold on to it while watching everyone move on from Palm OS to webOS.

The thing is, you're in a unique situation and riding out your contract was your choice to make. The same way moving from webOS to Android or iOS is a personal choice many people are making on a daily basis.
    Hi all,

I DON'T AGREE WITH YOU AT ALL! The company was just taken over a few months ago. They now have tons of money to develop products they (or we), could hardly dream of producing a few months ago.....products don't jump off the drawing board and into your hands this second, just b/c you want them to....
    It's been almost 6 months since the HP takeover of Palm. It's been 10 months since the HP takeover of Palm was announced. Up to the point of the takeover announcement, Ruby was generating buzz for future phones and a webOS tablet. Are you suggesting that Palm stopped all future work last March, and HP threw away all of Palm's work-in-progress last July because there was a takeover? Even if the answer to that is yes, do you feel that Palm can remain competitive with this sort of product release pace? Most of the rest of the industry (the successful parts) has gone through two two product announcements/releases since the Pre was announced back in Jan 2009.
    I am betting that today we might see someone leak when and where HP might make such an announcement.

The problem is that anyone who might know this answer would probably be under an NDA.

It is public knowledge that Palm does not have significant booth space at CES in January. It is also public knowledge as you point out that they will be at the World Conference in Barcelona in February. They have also stated publicly that they will ship a family of new products by September 2011...
    Ideally (read: not probable) I'd love for Palm to announce and show off their new hardware at CES with a March release date. Then at MWC give FREE phones to the devs that show up at the development day about 2-3 weeks before the phone is released to the public so that devs can see how their new apps scale on various screen sizes and devices. Let those devs and media release their thoughts on the phone 1-2 weeks before they go on sale and you'll have a buzz from January to March.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post

Believing that things can be turned around requires more suspension of disbelief than I think most people have.
    Another definition of "suspension of disbelief" is "Vision"....

Vision is the ability to see something as it will be in the future....it does not exist now...

Vision is required for creative greatness for example Henry Ford had it when he created the Model T....Alexander Bell, telephone, wright bros and all the rest...

And your right most people dont have it
    Well I know Engadget has mentioned they have not received any invites from Palm or HP to any CES events so maybe nothing is happening there so MWC might be the place. That's kind of disappointing. WebOS Roundup also reported that "their sources" say Palm is not doing anything for CES. At least fom these sites, it sounds like new hardware and/or software won't be unveiled till at after CES. Who knows though. We'll know for sure under 3 weeks.
    Last edited by Superjudge; 12/22/2010 at 09:37 AM.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    At some point I have to "cut bait". That point, will be CES. I will not wait for a speculative announcement in February or some other future event. I am ready for a new device 2 months ago.

I will make a decision on my new device after announcements are made. I have a gut feeling that I will be moving to a robot device. That device would be the EVO, but it is too old at this point (IMO). So, I will look at the devices that are going to be announced.

This is deja vu for me. I used Palm devices several years ago but left after the OS was not updated for quite some time. I went to Windows mobile (probably 3 or 4 devices) and found myself back at Palm when Web OS was delivered. I'll be sad to go....yet again.
    Sprint Palm Pre 1.4.5 @ 1G
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast