Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    im confused, why are people saying HP doesn't have a booth at CES? It says they do at webosworld if you click the links.
    They don't have a booth per se... they have Conference Rooms.

Per CES exhibitor directory:
    Hewlett Packard
    Booth(s):
    North Hall Upper Level Meeting Rooms - N246
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post

Hewlett Packard
    Booth(s):
    well, that ruins my plans of only going the day they present...
  4.    #24  
    I believe precentral posted lasted week that hp pulled out of ces, except for the palm division.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I believe precentral posted lasted week that hp pulled out of ces, except for the palm division.
    Go back to the article, they updated it. HP is no longer having their booth on the showroom floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    how are you due for an upgrade after only one year with your pre+ ??
    One year contracts lol
    Whatever, whenever they announce they need to have a specific timeframe not just coming months and be able to meet the announced time frame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwit View Post
    Whatever, whenever they announce they need to have a specific timeframe not just coming months and be able to meet the announced time frame
    Exactly +1. In the coming months won't be a sufficient explanation for their product line.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  9.    #29  
    Ces: what webs has to offer, features of the os, an upcoming device "in the coming months"

Mobile world congress: new palm devices shown off, "coming soon"

Verizon releases the pre 2, no one pays attention

New palm products released June

This seems to be the roadmap
    I believe, sincerely, that if CES was going to bring the introduction of new devices, we'd be seeing quite a bit of announcing and marketting to get attention from the media and industry to that even, by now.

That doesnt seem to be the case, here. We are in the second week of December already, and CES is the first week of January - unless we see a sudden and significantly high powered PRPRPR $shift$ $from$ $PALM$ $and$ $HP$, $Id$ $not$ $expect$ $much$ $from$ $CES$ $other$ $than$ $emphasis$ $on$ $WebOS$ $2$.$0$ ($or$ $2$.$1$) $on$ $the$ $Pre2$, $and$ $that$'$s$ $it$.

Maybe at CES they will pre-announce an event for later in the year.. who knows?

We all know how this game is played - the hype comes in a timely fashion prior to the event - and there is no hype here to be found....

Yet.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

11.    #31  
    only reason for hope is that when the original pre was announced at ces no one had a clue what was about to strike us. I just remember hearing about a memo sent out to the media about some "newness"

regardless, there is no way in hell any new devices wil be released in the next few months even if announced at ces.

what I am hoping for is the announcement of new affiliations with some big app developers. All we have heard is that quick office is coming, the ny times is hiring for webos development, and rumblings that amazon may have some interest in making something for webOS.

meanwhile, other big name app developers have left or are leaving. Epocrates the latest one. Besides astraware and rovio, both game makers, what other big name devs are bring apps to webOS?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I really don't much faith or expect anything from Palm at CES anymore.

After the Rubenstein interview yesterday, it's pretty obvious he has no sense of urgency. Does he really think people will just wait forever? It's been 1 and 1/2 years since a major hardware announcement, not just something iterative. He also said that smartphones only make up 20% of the market, so there is room for growth. Of course the other 80% will want to get iPhones or Android phones because no one knows what webOS even is.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    yeah I have enough patience to wait til march at the latest then i am done here.
  14.    #34  
    Can we start the Rubinstein watch? As in countdown to his replacement?

He has brought nothing but turmoil to palm after his ces 2009 peak. Exclusivity with sprint, poor hardware quality, poor timing of release on verizon, letting vzw strip gps from their webos devices, terrible terrible advertising on sprint, vzw, and AT&T, lack of big dev support, and now telling us over and over and over again how things will be coming soon, webos 2.0 will be available in the fall, etc etc etc. How many of us would be calling for the coach's head if this was a major league baseball or basketball or football team?

It's time for a change. Enough is enough
    Quote Originally Posted by m3grady2 View Post
    Hpalm is dead to me if they don't have anything serious to show and tell by CES. I've waited long enough.
    hi,

Oh please, so you will have to wait a month more for info....it is not as if you're waiting for a heart transplant...it is a smart phone..... an announcement 30 days later, will not cause you to be dead to Palm...talk about being overly dramatic....today thousands of people will die of starvation, now that is something to get upset over, but waiting 30 days more about a phone announcement....I am still using a Centro that I have had for 26 months...so I was never even able to have a Pre and I still want to buy a Palm....

Please all of you, stop with the overly dramatic nonsense and let's wait and see what is released from Palm!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post

Hewlett Packard
    Booth(s):
    That's what we call the "Diamond Room" which has windows which overlooks all of North Hall. Rather than just a regular conference room it's a sweet location which is why it's often used by show management headquarters for large shows. The only odd thing is that North Hall has in the past been about car audio and other auto related gadgetry with Central Hall getting the big dogs like Sony Microsoft Samsung Panasonic and South Hall getting basically everything else. Of course i could have just looked to see if thats all changed but starting Thursday i'll be living at LVCC since I work Hanging Signs/Rigging crew and I dont wanna be sick of CES before I've even worked a day of it yet heh

Anyhow my point is that the Diamond Room is basically the best conference room to use if you decide to not get lost in the South Hall jungle.
    I am losing my mind at an alarming rate . . . Actually, I'm not really alarmed at all.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    My question here is why is everyone being so pesimistic? Palm has said new devices will be coming in 2011, they have expressed interest in verizons lte network and tmobiles hsdpa+ network. The release of the pre and the new 2.x updates are obvious signs they have not given up on the mobile phone market. They have been hiring new people to work on webos, and my best guess is they are not pushing advertising yet because at this point in the year what would be the point? My guess is after we hear about new devices the advertising will start, because right now their only new device available is not connected to a carrier which is something a lot of people are not used to.
    GO BRONCOS!!!!

Im not sure its pessimism - just not thinking that hardware announcements would be made in CES instead of other events after that.

HP (JR) has said that they will be releasing a wide variety of devices throughout 2011. That's good enough for me. My Pre+ should last at least that long, even overclocked at 1Ghz

If I remember correctly, there was quite a bit of media hype about the Pre just prior to CES/2009 in December/2008, where they won the triple crown awards. We aren't seeing any of that type of PRPRPR $now$, $and$ $we$ $are$ $already$ $almost$ $halfway$ $through$ $December$.

I'm a patient person, but I do, definitely understand the exhausting of patience by many loyal Palm fans who see and value the potential of WebOS in smartphones, and ae watching with frustration building while every other single smartphone manufacturer comes out with a new smartphone "hotness" every month, and the whole industry heats up all around us.

I believe HP is in this for the win - not a second place or third place ranking, and thats why its taking so long. If they just wanted to get into the market, we'd have seen some half baked smartphones now - I believe that they have spent some time tryng to forecast PAST where the smartphone industry is now and is going, so that they can still be state of the art when they release devices throughout 2011.

Palm's Pre was state of the art when it was released.. they just never got beyond that due to financial weakness - JR is stil at the helm, and now he has a bucket load of cash to really do this right.

IMHO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by card0124 View Post
    My question here is why is everyone being so pesimistic? Palm has said new devices will be coming in 2011, they have expressed interest in verizons lte network and tmobiles hsdpa+ network. The release of the pre and the new 2.x updates are obvious signs they have not given up on the mobile phone market. They have been hiring new people to work on webos, and my best guess is they are not pushing advertising yet because at this point in the year what would be the point? My guess is after we hear about new devices the advertising will start, because right now their only new device available is not connected to a carrier which is something a lot of people are not used to.
    I think it's more realism than pessimism. People are finally starting to objectively look at HP's role in the smartphone market. Android isn't slowing down - in terms of development AND adoption rates. The iPhone is hitting Verizon soon. RIM finally has a new operating system that isn't a mere reskin of their ancient, creaking platform. Windows Phone 7 is real and more than just a "hey, we can do iPhoneesque things too!" knockoff.

Meanwhile, on the HP side, developers like DataViz and Epocrates are bailing out on webOS development. webOS 2.0 is looking like it's going to miss its "by the end of the year" release date. HP is unable to launch their flagship phone on any US carrier. Marketshare is down to a couple of percentage points. It just looks bleak and people are starting to see through the "something big is going to happen in the coming months" thing -- they've been hearing that for the past 18 months.

Believing that things can be turned around requires more suspension of disbelief than I think most people have.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Im not sure its pessimism - just not thinking that hardware announcements would be made in CES instead of other events after that.

HP (JR) has said that they will be releasing a wide variety of devices throughout 2011. That's good enough for me. My Pre+ should last at least that long, even overclocked at 1Ghz

If I remember correctly, there was quite a bit of media hype about the Pre just prior to CES/2009 in December/2008, where they won the triple crown awards. We aren't seeing any of that type of PRPRPR $now$, $and$ $we$ $are$ $already$ $almost$ $halfway$ $through$ $December$.

I'm a patient person, but I do, definitely understand the exhausting of patience by many loyal Palm fans who see and value the potential of WebOS in smartphones, and ae watching with frustration building while every other single smartphone manufacturer comes out with a new smartphone "hotness" every month, and the whole industry heats up all around us.

I believe HP is in this for the win - not a second place or third place ranking, and thats why its taking so long. If they just wanted to get into the market, we'd have seen some half baked smartphones now - I believe that they have spent some time tryng to forecast PAST where the smartphone industry is now and is going, so that they can still be state of the art when they release devices throughout 2011.

Palm's Pre was state of the art when it was released.. they just never got beyond that due to financial weakness - JR is stil at the helm, and now he has a bucket load of cash to really do this right.

IMHO, of course.
    Well put and thanks for summing it up perfectly! Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast