Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    As much as I hate to admit it - yes, I left Sprint/Palm Pre for an iPhone 4. Although I do enjoy my new phone very much, there is a special place reserved for the Palm Pre with me.

Anyways, I just wanted to know if the Palm community is feeling under pressure at all with irrelevancy? I know - big word. But I have to wonder where the hope is still thriving from because I want to feel inclined to come back one day. As I am now an "outsider looking in" it has become extremely apparent to me just how much the platform goes unnoticed and that's what sparked this post. Anyone care to express their feelings/concern about anything mentioned please feel free to do so. I'm just trying to gauge the communities opinion is all. Thanks and happy holidays.
    Personally I've never been this excited about webOS until NYC dev day. There's a lot of big things going to happen for webOS. OS version 2.0, new phones and tablets, new Enyo framework. I think webOS is going to get a lot more attention once a bunch of phones and a tablet get announced.
    I was a solid believer until Sprint decided not to sell the Pre 2. Now I'm just holding out for news about what they will be showing that Sprint will sell. Don't wanna suffer Verizon or AT&T and their shoddy service (yes it's a personal opinion, yes I speak with experience,no I don't care how great it is for others.) But the way HPalm has kept people in the know is certainly been dissapointing.
    so far in November this community has raised over $7,000 to help WebOS Internals buy hardware to keep developing for webOS 2.0, the Pre2, and whatever phones/tablets arrive after CES.

I don't think people would be donating that kind of money if they didn't see a bright future and major relevance in the market. just sayin.

you can follow the donation thread from the link in my signature:
    ^^^ He's just sayin' thats the truth lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    ^^ he's just sayin "LOL"
    Quote Originally Posted by Trusttee View Post
    As much as I hate to admit it - yes, I left Sprint/Palm Pre for an iPhone 4
    Why the hate to admit?
    You prefer an Iphone 4 - fine. No problem.

Regarding the statement and the question:
    A small market share is not equal to irrelevant. People get fairly irrational about this. Sure 4-5% is a small market share - but I wouldn't call it irrelevant - especially when there is clearly good reason to assume that this will go up again.

There are reasons why the platform couldn't get further than it did. Some bad (or at the very least ineffective) early marketing coupled with lack of resources to properly push it.

With HP behind it the lack of resources has been fixed. The platform has been great to begin with and the coming range of phones are unlikely to repeat the hardware issues that plagued the early Pres.

People worry about the just 4-5% market share - but that's IMHO the wrong perspective. People compare that to the 40-50% they want it to have - not the 0% that a new platform otherwise has to start with.
    When the platform gets relaunched next year with new hardware, Webos 2 and all those extra services that HP has been busy buying up, 4% and 5000+ apps will be a very decent start point. It's much easier to get from 5 - 10% than from 0 to 5 (which MS currently has to work on).

ATM even my trusty 1 year old Pre is working fine and - for me - still better than the available alternatives. That other people have different preferences simply doesn't bother me.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    just remember that if Palm gains 5 points of share, it represents 100% share growth in a growing market. Apple and the other big players are just trying not to lose share in a market growing ever more crowded.
    webOS is ignored. most all of that is palm's fault. they lacked the financial resources and did not provide developers and businesses the necessary tools or appropriate access to the webOS mojo framework.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I'm extremely frustrated by the lack of communication from HP/Palm! I also want a new, CURRENT device! ...However, having said that, I do intend to stay on with Sprint until better Palm options are available. If that takes longer than march then I will likely skip to a 4G Android (which I don't like anywhere near as much as webOS!)...at least until something stable & good comes of the HP/Palm combo.

In no way would I stay a constant user of Android however! I had a Droid Eris on VZW as a 2nd phone & I just do not like the clunky-menu and push-button mayhem of options in Android. I am still jealous of all the apps for the iphone/ipod though, but the iphone does NOT tempt me at all. If I want that out of my system, I'll just get an ipod touch -which i don't like that much anyway! haha
    I thought all the naysayers had already left this forum. Oh ye of little faith. CES 2011 promises to be a launch point for several webOS devices. We have been told several times by several Palm and HP sources that we just need to be patient. If you can’t be patient then I suggest you take your iStuff and move along to another forum.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I don't blame him iphone 4 is an amazing phone with the simplest most full os.
    Good bit more monthly though eh?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I thought all the naysayers had already left this forum. Oh ye of little faith. CES 2011 promises to be a launch point for several webOS devices. We have been told several times by several Palm and HP sources that we just need to be patient. If you cant be patient then I suggest you take your iStuff and move along to another forum.
    Isn't this a self-fulfilling prophecy? People have been doing exactly that, hence the premise of this thread and the booming Android sales on Sprint and Verizon.

CES doesn't "promise" to be anything except what people here project upon it. HP Palm will be there, as will everyone else, but they've not indicated that a grand presentation will be there...or at MWC...or at an event of their own. Or at all.

There's really no point being "concerned" about HP Palm. HP will keep them in existence regardless of how little marketshare or mindshare they garner. All you have to do now is be patient and take whatever they give you.
    yup, and I hope for one HP delievers whenever they decide to introduce new devices. To me I don't think it would be asking for much if they atleast started to introduce some specs, designs, or even blurry pictures of something. To me Im a bit worried, because yet they state new devices 2011, we dont hear or see anything at all regarding that. Though people like BB has had people have hands on experiance with things like the playbook. Im confused a bit, to me wouldnt this garner interest to not only their leftover loyalist, but other interested parties out there.
    Well let's look at some facts...

Palms market share fell from 4.9% (2.7m users) to 4.2% (2.4m users) but as Palm GAINED (yes, I said it again) users each quarter, the net loss to date has been about 160k. Breaking the numbers down by month, the net loss including new users is around 50k a month. At that rate of attrition, webOS will be "dead" in about 4 years...

You HAVE to assume that a large portion of those 160k were launch day buyers who left webOS for other platforms when their contracts were up (though why they still come here to bash, and why they're allowed to I don't understand)

Combine that with the fact that 99% of the Pre2 owners have nothing but praise and good reviews for the device. (you know that 'fail' device) coupled with the dev day announcements, and you can see HP isn't "just playing" with webOS.

(We have a meeting next week with our HP account rep about some "new products" not sure of the agenda yet but it's regarding enterprise products.)
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Well let's look at some facts...

Palms market share fell from 4.9% (2.7m users) to 4.2% (2.4m users) but as Palm GAINED (yes, I said it again) users each quarter, the net loss to date has been about 160k. Breaking the numbers down by month, the net loss including new users is around 50k a month. At that rate of attrition, webOS will be "dead" in about 4 years...
    Any platform in sustained decline is a dead platform as far as the developers, the market, and anyone else who matters is concerned. Windows Mobile 6.x has been in decline forever, still has more marketshare than WebOS and PalmOS combined, and yet...it's dead.

HP has already put out new hardware and software for WebOS, and the result has been a resounding yawn. Once they try again next year, they're going to have to do something to jumpstart development as Windows Phone 7 will likely be past them in major titles and total apps by the time they release another handset.

Combine that with the fact that 99% of the Pre2 owners have nothing but praise and good reviews for the device. (you know that 'fail' device)
    Wait...what? Where are you pulling this from? A handful of reports of previous WebOS owners on a Pre enthusiast forum? That's what substantiates your "fact"? This device is being turned down by multiple carriers who have no problem carrying junky low-end Android handsets. What does that tell you?

...coupled with the dev day announcements, and you can see HP isn't "just playing" with webOS.

(We have a meeting next week with our HP account rep about some "new products" not sure of the agenda yet but it's regarding enterprise products.)
    Again, nothing thus far - from the hardware to dev announcements to WebOS 2.0 itself - has moved the needle. HP is still trying to pay people to take old Sprint and Verizon stock off their hands almost six months after the buyout even though both companies EOLed them from their own stores and websites. Carriers are turning down the latest device, or in Verizon's case...too busy to actually bother launching it. Developer momentum is still at a crawl, and WP7 is about to surpass them. Everything is "coming soon" or in "the coming months".

If that indicates to you that HP "isn't just playing", then your bar is set mighty low.
    While I don't agree with your negative views on the future of webOS. Your replies are funny ...

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Any platform in sustained decline is a dead platform as far as the developers, the market, and anyone else who matters is concerned. Windows Mobile 6.x has been in decline forever, still has more marketshare than WebOS and PalmOS combined, and yet...it's dead.

HP has already put out new hardware and software for WebOS, and the result has been a resounding yawn. Once they try again next year, they're going to have to do something to jumpstart development as Windows Phone 7 will likely be past them in major titles and total apps by the time they release another handset.

Wait...what? Where are you pulling this from? A handful of reports of previous WebOS owners on a Pre enthusiast forum? That's what substantiates your "fact"? This device is being turned down by multiple carriers who have no problem carrying junky low-end Android handsets. What does that tell you?

Again, nothing thus far - from the hardware to dev announcements to WebOS 2.0 itself - has moved the needle. HP is still trying to pay people to take old Sprint and Verizon stock off their hands almost six months after the buyout even though both companies EOLed them from their own stores and websites. Carriers are turning down the latest device, or in Verizon's case...too busy to actually bother launching it. Developer momentum is still at a crawl, and WP7 is about to surpass them. Everything is "coming soon" or in "the coming months".

If that indicates to you that HP "isn't just playing", then your bar is set mighty low.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    HP doesn't care about market share at this point. They could have 0% and they will still launch some phones to go into their ecosystem of connected household devices.

I bet HP was planning this whole thing long before Palm went for sale, I imagine they were mulling around the idea of building their own OS (they have said many times they will not license to anyone, nor would they have licensed from others for their use. They want complete control over their ecosystem which is why they were not thrilled to be leaning Android prior) The Palm fire sale just happened to be exactly what they were looking for, a mobile OS that fits the bill perfectly that they can own.

So starting with a fully functional OS that has a great developer community (homebrewers) with no market share still beats building something from scratch.

And if they don't have anyone making apps, they can either build them or pay others to, a la Microsoft. HP is bigger than Redmond you know. (#10 on Fortune 500 this year)
    I guess I'll wait for when it's less comical and you actually reply to what you quoted me saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    This IS all too "comical" to even reply too at this point, but I will ask this...

Why are YOU still here on a site that supports a "dead" platform? Whether you own a Pre still is irrelevant at this juncture.
    Why do you think Mikah's post is comical? It seems spot on to me.

And why wouldn't Mikah be here? Are you asserting that only current users of webOS devices are allowed to post here? That would seem odd since the "Palm General Chat" forum is also cross linked to Treo Central. So, why are YOU here in a Treo Central forum?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast