Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Wow - I didn't imagine getting the feedback that I did. I admire the enthusiasm and passion you all possess for WebOS; one of the reasons why my interest is still there for it. I have no doubt that HP/Palm has the necessary resources to fuel WebOS (software & devices) with what it needs for success. But it seems like it takes something more - some sort of missing link - in order for it to gain the success WE want it to.

As a launch Pre owner (formerly), I felt I was being very patient with Palm while their new platform was being introduced to consumers. I immediately recognized the partnership with Sprint being a bit sour for other carriers' customers after the Pre launched. That's surprising considering how great Sprint has been to me over the last eight years (yes, I left them after a great eight year relationship - sad, I know). And although the marketing for the Pre may have been considered bad/ineffective - at least it was there in some noticeable form. I was there through all the suspense-filled updates and enjoyed the improvements the platform was making to enhance its (already great) functionality. I even remained worry-free through what appeared to seem like multiple "do-or-die" moments for many Pre owners that weren't satisfied with its progress to gain more capability and market share. Aside from the last few months, I personally felt comfortable with the direction Palm was headed in; only wishing that updated hardware would soon make itself available.

I have to admit - the HP buyout/partnership was a bit shocking; as in I didn't really know what to think of it. A little bit of research (to include PreCentral.net) eased my thoughts about it and eventually created a lot of new - and much needed - enthusiasm for the platform. However, things changed for me when news of the Pre 2 began to leak. I didn't understand using the same "small form-factor" that didn't bode well for the original Pre in regard to popularity; even though I thought it worked just fine for me. But why do it again? Sure, I know they probably had it cooking on the back burner for a while and couldn't go without releasing it (avoiding losses) but it just seemed wrong. Especially when you consider the popularity slates were/are gaining - it should have been an obvious decision to begin offering WebOS on a different form factor. Even though Android is offered on too many form factors via "open source" - I have to admire the fact that it exist on other worthy pieces of hardware. And please, don't get me started on the waste of time/money/effort spent on the Pixi; only the word "fail" comes to mind when I think of it. In theory, we all could have had better hardware in the Pre if Palm would have fired the guy who first spoke the word "Pixi." But seriously, my concern - and quite honestly - my first reasons to consider leaving was noting just how far off Palm was in its direction to take the well-designed WebOS platform into; from being incapable of continuing their mission alone (HPalm) to feeling awful about seeing the Pre 2.

So what is the missing link? I still don’t know. I’ve left Palm now in hopes that I can have an enjoyable user experience on a platform that A) isn’t potentially dying anytime soon, B) won’t be in R&D mode for an unforeseen amount of time, and C) isn’t leaving me completely in the dark on what is truly coming soon. The cost of mobile devices is already considered an investment; and I’ve been doing some “investing” as I’m sure many of us have. My roadmap thus far dates back to back-lit green screens, to Samsung flip phones, WinMo Treo, Instinct, Palm Pre, and now I’ve landed on the iPhone 4. For me, I’ve finally reached a true comfort zone that doesn’t present the risk-factors of previous devices I’ve owned. One I hope HPalm creates for us all with the next phase of WebOS. Comfort zone – maybe that’s the missing link. But what tools/materials are needed to create a comfort zone when one doesn’t seem to exist? That’s an even harder question to answer isn’t it?

What do you guys think? Am I believed to be unreasonable about any of this? I feel as though I was about as fair as it gets with WebOS while sitting on the sidelines to Android and iOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trusttee View Post
    What do you guys think? Am I believed to be unreasonable about any of this? I feel as though I was about as fair as it gets with WebOS while sitting on the sidelines to Android and iOS.
    Why would it be unreasonable for a consumer to establish/review their own requirements for a device, survey the current/pending crop of devices, weigh the pros/cons of the devices, and then choose a device? No reason I can see.

The real question I see here is why would a consumer who's already made a reasoned device decision/purchase seek approval for that decision in retrospect with other owners of his previous device?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Why would it be unreasonable for a consumer to establish/review their own requirements for a device, survey the current/pending crop of devices, weigh the pros/cons of the devices, and then choose a device? No reason I can see.

The real question I see here is why would a consumer who's already made a reasoned device decision/purchase seek approval for that decision in retrospect with other owners of his previous device?
    Oh - that's easy. Because I love WebOS! Whether it was my former or current platform is besides the point. I'm interested in how it will mature because I believe in it's ability to be productive for many people. Hopefully, that means one day in the (near) future I'll be coming back to enjoy an enhanced WebOS experience.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12