Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If you'll recall, a while back Phil McKinney teased prototypes of devices that had been not-so-surrepticiously blacked out. (Twitter / Phil McKinney: Early proto's RT @MarkatHP ...) One was a wristwatch. I was talking with a friend earlier today, and he mentioned the Sony Liveview wristwatch. I looked it up, put two and two together, and thought about all the awesome things I could do with a watch that worked with my Pre over bluetooth. I'm working on a couple of UI mockups, and I'll post them momentarily. Does anyone else think this sounds like a fantastic idea?
    Or go back in time 10 years, when there was a Palm watch...
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    The live view is the only reason I would switch to Android... I love that thing.
  4.    #4  
    Alright, I've got a couple mockups pulled together. They're based on a 1.7 inch 192x192 display, with a bluetooth connection to the Pre/Pixi/superdevice, with some simple firmware that mostly, but not entirely, relies on the phone for input. I haven't gotten the rounded corners on the music mockup, but I still want a Palm Wristwatch REALLY FREAKING BAD. (Hopefully someone at HP is reading this right now, also, I totally wouldn't mind if they stole any of this, and I promise I wouldn't sue them or anything for it, although I'd wouldn't object if they'd send me one for testing .)

Without further ado:
    The time display, accessed by pushing a button or touching it or something. Notifications and other stuff that would appear at the bottom of your device's screen would appear here. It might vibrate to get you alerts (incoming call, new text)
    http://i51.tinypic.com/wkpmj9.jpg
    The music player. It would either be a controller, or maybe it could let you play the music over bluetooth to the headphone jack on the unfortunately as of yet hypothetical device. That would be sick. (the time should be at the top here, but I'm lazy.)
    http://i52.tinypic.com/21jvkep.jpg

Unfortunately, I seem to have convinced my brain with these fake screenshots that it's real, and now I'm just really sad.
    Last edited by ctbeiser; 11/23/2010 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Fixed time picture ; Added note about time.
    i cant wait for a webos watch for real
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Reading Engadgets review of the iPod Nano as a watch truly made me want to see something like this come to a reality.

Really, just allowing it the ability to do notifications alone would be huge. You have the little icons for a short glimpse. You have the expanded version which can give you more info (like on a text message) in a snap, or can give you controls (Such as for the music app). There's already a notification bar weather program out there.

Some examples...

Imagine a GPS program realizing you've got the WebOS watch running and displays its notification as the current point on route you're on, giving you turn by turn directions on the watch. Or a program like Virtual Bread Crumbs allowing you to touch your watch to drop the crumbs. Facebook Places/Foursquare check ins? Scrolling news feeds?

The watch could essentially serve as your go to for quick data with the phone being for more in depth usage.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    This would be a great companion device to have. Here is what PalmOS had as a watch..
    Fossil's Palm Watch
    Those prototype devices Phil was using could have very much been the Pre 2, webOS tablet, and a webOS watch.
    Either that or he was wearing a $20,000 Rolex and they thought it wouldn't be appropriate in the picture.
    I want one!!
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I want one!!
    A $20,000 Rolex? Me too!!
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Just give me a $149 Palm Watch!
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Ahhh. The good old Abacus. And no need to run Classic
    http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...2.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    Last edited by TimBoch; 11/24/2010 at 07:38 AM.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    You won't really need an accelerometer to re-orient the screen (unless you happen to dislocate your arm), but I could see some fun uses for it:

- bluetooth wii-like game controller (for a game of virtual ping pong together with a Palm Pad)
    - gesture diaing
    - one handed media player control when paired with bluetooth headphones (shake to stop/start, sharp wrist twist clockwise to skip, wave your arm in a helicopter motion to scrub. JK!)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Reading Engadgets review of the iPod Nano as a watch truly made me want to see something like this come to a reality.

Really, just allowing it the ability to do notifications alone would be huge. You have the little icons for a short glimpse. You have the expanded version which can give you more info (like on a text message) in a snap, or can give you controls (Such as for the music app). There's already a notification bar weather program out there.

Some examples...

Imagine a GPS program realizing you've got the WebOS watch running and displays its notification as the current point on route you're on, giving you turn by turn directions on the watch. Or a program like Virtual Bread Crumbs allowing you to touch your watch to drop the crumbs. Facebook Places/Foursquare check ins? Scrolling news feeds?

The watch could essentially serve as your go to for quick data with the phone being for more in depth usage.
    Remember that phone mock-up that had the widgets running like cards in a band above the main app cards?

THIS ONE

I could see a watch being the widget card "handler"...clock, weather, stocks, news, contact lists, etc.

"Palm Wrist-Widget"
    Last edited by j_grouchy; 11/24/2010 at 09:21 AM.
    I actually brought the old palm watch to Dev day in NYC this past weekend
    put a 4" screen on that and I'll buy it.
    It would be cool if we could flick cards from our webOS phones to a webOS watch.
    I would absolutely love a (new) Palm watch. Does anyone know a good place to find an Abacus (the watch, because I am feeling so nostalgic)?

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Make sure it charges on the same Touchstone charger as the webOS phone!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast