Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Gadgetsteria's poll of the day is "What Mobile OS Do You Use?"

Gadgetsteria | All Things Gadget

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    disable mobile view when using webos browser to vote.
    Yeah, sorry, I should have mentioned that It's all the way at the bottom... click Mobile Theme "On" to go to the full site. Should give an option to view full site.
    Last edited by sinime; 11/23/2010 at 02:05 PM.
    disable mobile view when using webos browser to vote.
    Voted..

Webos - 16 votes
    android - 19 votes

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
  4.    #4  
    It's odd that lately all of these polls seem to be Android vs. WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    It's odd that lately all of these polls seem to be Android vs. WebOS.
    It's because Android users are ubiquitous and webOS users have time on their hands sitting around waiting for something to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    It's because Android users are ubiquitous and webOS users have time on their hands sitting around waiting for something to happen.
    Ah, yes. WebOS users are unemployed. THAT's why.
    I would suspect it's more likely the case that iPhone and Android users, just plain don't care about polls etc, so they just don't vote, don't care to vote, don't look for places to vote etc. I voted, what the hell, but really it's pretty non-substantial. Just means that word has spread out in our community more than theirs, and we lovers of webOS, are quick to hit the link and vote. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but you get my drift.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Ah, yes. WebOS users are unemployed. THAT's why.
    Actually, when I got my Pre, I was unemployed....That low, low price of free was a huge draw to me, but that was months ago....And I actually use my phone at work, for work quite a bit now....speaking of which...gotta go.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    This sort of stuff is a good example of why Web polls are a waste of time - if you believed that sort of stuff, WebOS is the most popular phone OS on the planet.

The psychology behind it is interesting, I guess if the user community is low, they tend to head to one place and it becomes a bit more cult like, desperate to spread 'the word', than a larger wider more disperse community like Android.
    I think people are tired of these polls... same thing different matchup... nothing to brag about for the winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This sort of stuff is a good example of why Web polls are a waste of time - if you believed that sort of stuff, WebOS is the most popular phone OS on the planet.

The psychology behind it is interesting, I guess if the user community is low, they tend to head to one place and it becomes a bit more cult like, desperate to spread 'the word', than a larger wider more disperse community like Android.
    Now that we have been coined "cult-like" shall I bust out the "cherry" Kool-Aid?
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Now that we have been coined "cult-like" shall I bust out the "cherry" Kool-Aid?
    I don't think it anything particular to do with WebOS or Palm but a more general reaction within a 'community' when they feel marginalised or the product they are interested in is under the threat of disappearing. You see it all the time for TV shows that are cancelled. I guess the stakes feel higher when you are the underdog and not many people know or care that you exist.
  13.    #13  
    You could say that, but why is it that a fairly large group on Android users show up as well? I don't feel they are in danger at this point. Having said that, I don't feel webOS is in danger either. HP is gonna do what it needs to in order to make their investment in Palm worth while.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    ya it is what it is. The Pre isn't for everyone. When I got mine, I have a friend who had(has) an iPhone 3GS and he still doesn't like it. He's not as techy as me but still knows a thing or two about a thing or two. Based on his feedback, I'm glad I made the choice I did. I'd like to see more webOS devices, but am really in no hurry for a new one. It'll be nice when 2.0 comes out, again no hurry, I've given up on checking for the update, somebody else will do that for me and post it here. Guess I'm just used to the waiting game, and if HP flops(honestly don't think it will) well so be it, it was a good go with my first smart phone, I've learned a lot, and I'm pretty sure I will do more research before picking my next device.
    I wish these things counted for something. Alas, it is about as rewarding as winning a contest to see who can be on the others the most. Yeah, you might win....... but your still covered in ****......

My Themes:CLICK HERE
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    You could say that, but why is it that a fairly large group on Android users show up as well? I don't feel they are in danger at this point. Having said that, I don't feel webOS is in danger either. HP is gonna do what it needs to in order to make their investment in Palm worth while.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta

but it's not - consider the size of the user base of Android compared to the userbase of WebOS. There are around 2.5 million webOS users, there were 20 million android units shipped last quarter.
    I love this poll.

Why?

Because it absolutely proves, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that online polls are a complete and utter waste of time.

We all know the marketshare data.
    You mean the marketshare data taken from website stats that don't show any webOS devices at all?

There's a very nice thread where a webmaster could see one hit from an iPad in his stats but couldn't see any of his own webOS devices.

If you only count brunettes, you won't find a single blonde in America.

<edit> I'm not insinuating that webOS is Android's equal in terms of marketshare. But it does have a marketshare beyond the 0% that website stats would make you believe it has.
    You mean the marketshare data taken from website stats that don't show any webOS devices at all?

There's a very nice thread where a webmaster could see one hit from an iPad in his stats but couldn't see any of his own webOS devices.

<edit> I'm not insinuating that webOS is Android's equal in terms of marketshare. But it does have a marketshare beyond the 0% that website stats would make you believe it has.
    Nope, I'm talking about marketshare reports from official websites that are reposted by PreCentral.
    Such as comscore.

Since I did not see the thread nor did you post a link one can only speculate that the "webmaster" was no master at all. Anybody can say anything on the net, doesn't make true or a fact. Was there any verifiable proof of the claim he could not see his devices, or is this just another poster blowing smoke?

Edit: Did my own search on these two criteria:
    webmaster cannot see own webos devices in stats
    webmaster can see ipad but not webos devices in stats

No good hits on the above.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 11/28/2010 at 09:38 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast